1.    #1  
    Here is a blurb about Palm OS:
    http://www.networkcomputing.com/chan...leID=188700210

Palm OS Is Still a Contender

Recent signs indicate this smartphone operating system is still a viable option for deployments requiring a high data rate and all the bells and whistles.
    Jun 1, 2006 - By Richard Hoffman

Reports of Palm OS's death have been greatly exaggerated. Although beleaguered by BlackBerry on one side and Windows Mobile on the other, recent announcements show this smartphone operating system still has some life left.

First came the launch of the Palm OS-based Treo 700p on May 15. Just a week later, Verizon made the 700p available to subscribers on its 1xEV-DO network (Evolution-Data Optimized is a high-speed wireless radio data standard), and Sprint announced availability of the 700p for its service.

Should enterprises with smartphone users care? You bet. Beyond the welcome EV-DO support, the 700p outshines its Windows Mobile sibling (the 700w) with niceties including a 320x320 screen, DUN (Dial-Up Networking) service and out-of-the-box support for Exchange 2003 ActiveSync. Wi-Fi capabilities are conspicuous by their absence, however.

It's also unlikely that Palm will dump its own OS in favor of Windows Mobile, for its cash-cow Treos. Palm recently signed a long-term agreement with PalmSource, which develops the Palm OS, and that relationship looks solid, though the next generation of the OS will almost certainly be built on the new Linux platform instead of the increasingly antiquated Palm OS 5.

The jury is still out on whether Windows Mobile will crush all competitors, but for the moment, the Palm 700p outperforms the 700w in several key areas. Palm OS is a viable option for smartphone deployments requiring a high data rate and all the bells and whistles.
    Palm OS is a viable option for smartphone deployments requiring a high data rate and all the bells and whistles.
    It kind of falls down here.

Surur
    surur, what "bells and whistles" would enterprises want that the Palm OS 700p can't deliver?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Bells and whistles. It works and it works well. That's the bells and whistles needed. Ben
    Bells and whistles means more than the essentials to do the job, doesn't it. Maybe the article writer does not know what bells and whistles mean, especially all of them.

Surur
    "Bells and whistles" that would drag me away (reluctantly) from the Palm OS to WM5?

There's one and only one that I can think of -- make my Treo talk to my Exchange Server and do over the air sync of all Outlook data to my Treo -- email, contacts, tasks, calendar, notes.

Chatter OWA plugin looks like it may achieve this for me. I'm waiting with a Visa card at the ready.

Wifi would be nice but it's not an essential bell and/or whistle.

Speaking of bells, I think the best under-appreciated feature of the Treo is that little switch on the top of the Treo that turns the sound on and off. What a novel concept! A 20th century hardware switch that is easily accessible, simple to understand, and utterly reliable!
    There is not much to say about the article really. Its rather unfair however that they compare the best POS device to the most limited WM device. There are better pocketpc phones around than the Treo 700w, especially in regard to feature set, if not ease of use.

Surur
    Palm is also supposedly developing their own in house OS, so don't count them out. They've got their bases covered with Windows Mobile, Palm OS powered by ACCESS, and developing their own in house linux based OS. They will need lower cost Treos, espcially to compete with devices like the Q, which now I love, but have to return
    Jimmie Geddes
    Let's see how the 700P compares to the Q in sales.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    The Q will outsell the 700p in sales. Does it make at a better phone just because it sells more units? It's also much cheaper than the 700p, so it's expected to sell more. I have both and will be honest the Q is very slick, and cool (I love it), but the 700p is still the better smartphone.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Not to mention the Q gets more advertising than the Treo. I've already seen a few Q commercials on TV...haven't seen any Treo commercials.
    I've also seen those commercials a few times, not to mention being in magazines like Details, FHM, Maxim. Motorola has good PRPRPR. $The$ $Q$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $RAZR$ $of$ $blackberry$'$s$, $I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $put$ $it$ $in$ $the$ $same$ $category$ $with$ $Treo$ $and$ $other$ ($full$) $Windows$ $Mobile$ $5$ $devices$.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Let's see how the 700P compares to the Q in sales.
    I suppose that because McDonalds sells more beef than Mortons it means that McDonalds food is better?

And Pizza Hut must be the best pizza in America, since it sells the most.

And, of course, since Windows outsells Mac OS about a zillion to one Windows is far, far superior.

Yup, sales volume is certainly the best indicator of quality.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    surur, what "bells and whistles" would enterprises want that the Palm OS 700p can't deliver?
    ummm things like WIFI and voice dialing over bluetooth which Palm "claims" are OS limitations. Personally the latter is a big kicker to me personally kinda defeats the whole hands free scheme
    Contender? For most outdated OS, sure.
    WM needs to make a few small adjustments and bribe some Palm developers to get on board. Then Palm OS would be irrelevant. As is, the card handling, memory leaks, and slowdown mean WM is a lot better on paper than in reality.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    WM needs to make a few small adjustments and bribe some Palm developers to get on board. Then Palm OS would be irrelevant. As is, the card handling, memory leaks, and slowdown mean WM is a lot better on paper than in reality.
    That is true.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I suppose that because McDonalds sells more beef than Mortons it means that McDonalds food is better?.
    McDonalds has meat in their burgers ?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    McDonalds has meat in their burgers ?
    Rats and roaches count, right?