Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The subject says it all. As many others have posted, my 700P is noticably slower performing regular tasks(especially noticable switching between apps) than my 650 was. I am considering going back to the 650 because of it. Seems like a shame to spend all of this money only to have to put up with a device that is slower in many ways. Some apps load faster in my experience like the initial load of TTN5. Most operations seem slower to me. Especially troublesome is the hesitation/skipping of Pocket Tunes when running Chatter mail. This device doesn't seem to multitask well for the memory it has. Just looking for help in deciding whether to keep it. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    I'm sure once things calm down a bit and they get a list of actual bugs together we will se an update soon...
    mine is just as fast, if not faster than the 650.
    Treoing & Loving it
  4.    #4  
    gt5l: What apps do you run, do you use a large SD card, do you use any bluetooth hardware like GPS receivers? Just curious to see if those factors may be affecting performance on my Treo. Thanks.
    I have a 1gb sd card, i run agendus, yahm, backupman, avantgo*, dtg, resco explorer, filepc2pda, flight status, Directory assistance, handzipper, kb lightsoff, ludusp, minutesplus*, mobiledb*, powerrun, nvbackp, palminternal, ptunes delux, smartlist*, smart money, snapclac, snapdate, snapper, spellcheck, TCPMPtracker dog, Yahm
    * on the cad
    No BT use except for headset rarley.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Yep, my Sprint/T700p is faster than my still active Sprint/T650.

Chuck
    large SD cards of inferior quality will slow down you Treo. I see it on my 650, it can gt pretty bad at times.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  8.    #8  
    Seems like a lot of people are noting slow performance when using Chatteremail like me. Performance seems much better with Chatter off. In particular, Ptunes deluxe doesn't seem to skip/hesitate for me with Chatter off. I can't live without Chatter or Ptunes though. Hopefully as more people buy the 700P and post their findings we'll get an answer and fix.
    I'm using the 1gb MMC card palm sent me
    Treoing & Loving it
    Yes
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I think Palm will fix whatever ails the 700p. I have a 2GB SD and it's definitely slower than my 650.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    To anyone who claims that their 700p is faster than their 650, please run Speedy, VFSMark and PBench and post your numbers. To date, no one has a 700p that's faster than a 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonron
    To anyone who claims that their 700p is faster than their 650, please run Speedy, VFSMark and PBench and post your numbers. To date, no one has a 700p that's faster than a 650.
    exactly :-)

My 650 with all my applications on it and on the SD card still seems 2-3 times faster than my 700p without any extra apps on it.
    Joshua Miller
    jemiller@jem.phoenix.az.us
    My 700p (sprint) is certainly slower than my 650. switching between the phone pad screen and the home screen - quite a lag right there. And this with tons of memory avail compared to a 650 where balancing ~4-5 mb of mem.
    My Sprint 700p is positively slower with delays of a couple/few seconds when switching back and forth between apps. Sometimes I also get the white screen of death that lasts for a good few seconds or longer, and I have to hold my breath in anticipation of what's gonna happen next. Fortunately, nothing gets lost.

On the plus side, my 700p seems pretty stable. I have many apps loaded into the internal memory, and everything seems to be working well. I don't remember getting any random mysterious soft resets on the 700p.

I'm sure there will be a firmware fix in the future for the delay problem. My Treo 650 is faster in switching between apps compared to my 700p.

Overall, I'm happy with the 700p. With fast speed internet, this has made a huge improvement in my web suring experience. Also the much larger internal memory is so great too. I have nothing on my SD memory card except songs, videos, pictures. All my many apps reside in RAM, and I still have 33 MB left free! Too good!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    I remember when the 650 came out there were lots and lots of complains... Way more than you see now with the 700p. So that tells me that after Palm releases a new firmware update we will be seeing a very stable Treo 700p. I'm guessing one of the first things that is going to be fixed is the Bluetooth disconnect problem and the slow response when lots of programs are installed.

Al
    Anybody remember how long it was between the release of the 650 and the firmware update, or the release of the 600 and the firmware update?
    Quote Originally Posted by dordal
    Anybody remember how long it was between the release of the 650 and the firmware update, or the release of the 600 and the firmware update?
    Let's see if I can remember this correctly. I bought my 1st 650 on 12/1/04 and returned about 2 weeks later because of stablity and sound issues. And then I bought my next one in Feb of '05(?) because they had released firmware update that fixed alot of issues. So about 2 moths or so it took them to release the update for Sprint.
    For the 600: released Oct '03, first firmware update end of Jan '04, second (final) firmware update early June '04. This is for Sprint Treo600.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I remember when the 650 came out there were lots and lots of complains... Way more than you see now with the 700p. So that tells me that after Palm releases a new firmware update we will be seeing a very stable Treo 700p. I'm guessing one of the first things that is going to be fixed is the Bluetooth disconnect problem and the slow response when lots of programs are installed.

Al
    I think you're right. Most of the stability problems people are experiencing with running apps are probably a single real OS issue (maybe a memory management problem or a latency problem in a frequently used kernel path). If they fix that, maybe throw in a fix for the bluetooth issues and tweak EVDO speeds then the 700p will be everything it should be now and I'll be able to stop complaining!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast