Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    for the 6700 ppc, the UI was/is extremely slow as well.

-Not until the update that the 6700 was more of acceptable use.

...I am very confident Palm/Sprint will fix the UI responsivemenss on the 700P
    The difference in speed from the 650 and the 700p is not noticable.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUES
    you must be running your 700p bare naked?????

THERE IS A DEFINITE slowness compared to the 650 w/ the 700....
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUES
    Yes, it is. Again, please post benchmark numbers to back up your claims. To date, NOT ONE 700p has come even close to matching the 650 in terms of speed.
  5.    #25  
    Another nasty "feature" of the 700P is that when I am typing an email or sms, if there is a lag(which happens often) it doesn't remember the keys I've typed. In other words, it will leave out parts of what I am typing if it is busy with other functions. This is terrible. This results in having to read messages very carefully before sending. My 650 would occasionally slow down but would remember the keys I had typed and catch up eventually. Palm, please do something about this issue!!!
    clearing browser cache has had a signficant effect on the speed of my 700p. now, i've skipped the 650 altogether so cannot really make the comparison (600 to 700p was my path)... but if you check the 'clear on exit' box, i think you may find that helps...
    Beblawi
  7.    #27  
    That does seem to help some.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonron
    Yes, it is. Again, please post benchmark numbers to back up your claims. To date, NOT ONE 700p has come even close to matching the 650 in terms of speed.
    Just ran speedy on my Treos:

650 - 1364
    700p - 1531

I would say it is testing faster.... And not once has my 650 tested faster than the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoutlander

650 - 1364
    700p - 1531

I would say it is testing faster.... And not once has my 650 tested faster than the 700p.
    Well, we found one! Your 650 tests much slower than mine and your 700p tests much faster. Please help us get to the bottom of this. Can you please post PalmBench and PalmInternals benchmark numbers as well? And can you post a list of applications installed on each device?

Thanks!
    Also, do you have Sprint or Verizon? How many signal bars do you have? Where you are is it 1xRTT or EVDO?
    All right here we go:
    Both have LauncherX, KB Lightsoff and Volumecare running. Demoing Chatter and that is about it for 3rd party stuff other than games. Both are SPCS and I do not live in an EVDO area. The signal strength -93db on the 650 and -90db on the 700p.

Here are the results
    Program 650 700P
    Speedy 1364 either 1531 or 1515

PBench
    Arithmetics 472 427
    Heap 358 356
    Data Access 970 773
    Graphics 963 963

Palm Internals
    Speed Test 162 tics, 1sec 112 tics, 1sec

So the other two show the 650 being faster which I won't argue with because there are times when the 650 feels a little snappier than the 700p; which I wasn't disputing I just didn't think it was as large a difference as some people made it out to be. I would really like to know why my 650 seems so much slower than some others because I can't think of anything that should cause them to be that different.

Also, what about the doubling the size of the NVFS? Could that be contributing to the slowdown between the 2 models?
    Last edited by bcoutlander; 06/16/2006 at 01:51 PM. Reason: hit enter at the wrong time.
    It's the EVDO radio - as I speculated. Your 700P is in 1xRTT mode. Just my guess....
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Well I will be in Cincinnati tomorrow and if I have a chance I will run the tests to see what they show.
    So if the 700p is a little bit slower. Then what? Go back to the 650?
    Your welcome to buy my 650, because it's for sale.

I say the faster the better, but I don't see enough of a difference to justify a fuss. And I should run a benchmark or two to really find out? I spent money on my 700p to enjoy it, not be disappointed by it.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    It's the EVDO radio - as I speculated. Your 700P is in 1xRTT mode. Just my guess....
    I don't think so... If I turn off my radio and reset, my scores are still bad.

I think it's simply that he doesn't have enough apps and data installed. I get similar scores if if I hard reset the 700p so nothing is installed.
    Well I ran the speed tests while in EVDO coverage and they did not very from when I am in noEVDO area.

But, I do have over 50MB of free space on my Treo. Most of my programs stay on my SD card.
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    tell me this, when you click on the phone app, then scroll down to your favorites buttons, is there a lag?

for me, there is a solid 2 second lag before it becomes responsive. this alone drives me nuts!
    On mine Speedy returns a score of 1500 with phone turned on, and with phone off it scores 1515. I've also run it after overclocking with PXA Clocker and it scores less at 1485 -- PXA Clocker does nothing apparently on the 700p.

Never had a 650 so don't know how to compare. Speed is fine for what I need -- can't imagine it being any faster, it zips along. No delays in phone app or favorites buttons or anything.

650 - 1364
    700p - 1531

Your 650's numbers are terrible. Mine has never scored under 2000 in Speedy.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Here are the results
    Data Access 970 773
    Seems the issue is the 700 is slower at accessing data then the 650 by a good margin. This would cause the skips in Ptunes and the lag when switching apps large apps. Also explains why some people find blazer opens faster when the cache is clear.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast