Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Love the 700P, but really expected the 650 dbCache/heap memory issues would be behind us. As others have experienced, using a backup program (like Resco Backup) immediately reduceds the 10 megs of cache to about 7. After using the treo for awhile more, when I go to Blazer, I get "Please wait" and it doesn't go away. I can switch to another app, but cannont get to Blazer (Web) without a soft reset.

Using dbCache, I see that I have about 4 megs of cache, with about 3 megs "max alloc". If I soft reset, it's back to 10 megs and Blazer works fine again.

Using the DB Cache tool to "clear" the cache no longer seems to work for me on the 700P (just hangs on DBCache: Clear Processing). At least this worked on the 650.

Anyone have a way to simply clear the cache without a soft reset on the 700P. I hope they are able to improve memory management on a ROM update down the pike...
    I'm sure someone will make an app to help us
    Jimmie Geddes
    Yeah.....

Try ResetNetLib. This worked on the T650 and works on the T700p. I believe I found this a while back at www. mytreo.net. It's freeware too.

Chuck
    where did you get the db cache tool? I just put resetnetlib on my 700p.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie Geddes
    I am having the same issue after a resco backup. Then a crash and all is well again.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Just tried Resetnetlib-- may help for something, but does not affect the dbcache (and still have same issues requiring soft reset. Hopefully someone will create a simple tool to clear the dbcache on the 700.... Till then, I guess it's back to either not backing up (not acceptable!) or occasional soft resets.
    In my opinion it might be a DbCache fragmentation problem. To explain:

If DbCache is say 20 MB and there are 5 small records locked, then these records will be fixed somewhere in the 20 MB space. In the worst case they will lower max. contiguous block to 4 MB. In such case application that wants to use larger record will fail.

Why Blazer? (Probably also TomTom)
    These are not typical Palm apps with the record size bellow 64K. All "normal" apps would not have any problem.

Take some file manager, locate Blazer in ROM and look at its records.
    In my case (T650) Blazer has 1 record (amdc 0) with the size 238532 By. Hence if the fragmentation decreases max. block size bellow 238K, Blazer will not load. Instead, the user will notice some delay (Palm OS will be looking for space and trying to rearrange DbCache) and an error report.

I don't know how large is the max. record for Blazer on T700, but would not be surprised if it was more.

There are apps with even larger record size, e.g. Tom Tom or NetFront. As far I understand the things, these apps use ARM code developed for other platforms (perhaps PPC) as a bulk block bypassing Palm OS limitation of 64K.

The question is, of course, who is responsible for the fragmentation. We tried to investigate that with no clear result. Most probably it is really triggered by full DbCache states.

In case of the low DbCache state all locks will tend to be located somewhere at the beginning of the DbCache, leaving thus one big empty block.

Locks at the full DbCache will be located randomly and the fragmentation will increase.

Notice that there are also alternative explanations:
    - Palm OS bug. (I doubt.)
    - A Blazer bug. They may incorrectly analyze the DbCache.
    - A large Blazer allocation: Blazer may want to allocate a contiguous block of several MB in the program memory. This would be also kind of programming bug.

We plan to return to this issue, but I am not very confident. The reason is that it is difficult to analyze all things that contribute to the fragmentation. It is not only mentioned locks, but also various allocations etc.

Best regards
    Jan Slodicka
    Resco
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks Jan for that explanation. What would be great is if while we're waiting for Palm and others to hopefully address this, if some developer could create a simple app to simply free up dbcache. The app that was available previously (dbCache Tool) did this on the 650. On the 700, it seems to be able to show the free dbCache, but freezes on trying to clear it.

This has become so bad for me that I'm switching to Xiino for now as a browser. I like the rendering in Blazer better, and don't particularly want to pay for an app I don't need, but backup are more important. I back up every 6 hours, and it's just not long before Blazer stops working....
    I just manually clear my cache in the advanced menu under preferences utilizing the software Palm has already given us without loading too many stupid apps posibly clogging the reg or just plain being incompatable. I don't let it clear cache automatically exiting Blazer due to the fact it takes time to clear so it seems to freeze when you close, so I would rather do it manually and wait while I am doing it in the advanced menu or lower the storing limit of cache.
    Last edited by KStewart; 06/17/2006 at 09:27 AM.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Does MemInfo work on a 700p? That can be used to clear dbCache on the 650.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    kStewart- The Blazer cache is completely different than the dbCache (which is a system issue). Keeping Blazer's own cache clear does not fix the dbCache problem. It seems that Blazer is somehow a major "hog" of dbCache, so if using lots of other apps (especially backup apps) that use a lot of the dbCache, eventually Blazer will not work until dbCache is cleared (thru a soft reset).

scottymomo- thanks... just tried meminfo, but crashed the 700....that's exactly the type of app I'm looking for....
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    kStewart- The Blazer cache is completely different than the dbCache (which is a system issue). Keeping Blazer's own cache clear does not fix the dbCache problem. It seems that Blazer is somehow a major "hog" of dbCache, so if using lots of other apps (especially backup apps) that use a lot of the dbCache, eventually Blazer will not work until dbCache is cleared (thru a soft reset).

scottymomo- thanks... just tried meminfo, but crashed the 700....that's exactly the type of app I'm looking for....
    Thanks...
    at&t iPhone3G
    How do I "manually clear my cache in the advanced menu under preferences utilizing the software Palm has already given"... I see no "advanced" menu.
    Go into Blazer, hit menu and choose Preferences under Options, click on the Advanced tab, click Clear Cache.
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR
    Go into Blazer, hit menu and choose Preferences under Options, click on the Advanced tab, click Clear Cache.
    This refers to the folder /BLAZER on the BuiltIn drive and has nothing to do with the DbCache.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    What would be great is if while we're waiting for Palm and others to hopefully address this, if some developer could create a simple app to simply free up dbcache.
    What was strange on DbCacheTool was that:
    a) I read positive reactions from users that it helped to overcome the problem of launching some apps.
    b) I did the tests here with TomTom and DbChacheTool did not help at all.

If a) is the case, then the application that is enabled this way, has a bug. It means they incorrectly estimate the free space.

If b) is the case, then it is the fragmentation.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I used dbCache Tool to help Tomtom work with the 650.... it worked-- *sometimes*. My experience with the "Clear" function of dbCache Tool was that it sometimes worked, sometimes did not. Sometimes it would clear SOME of the dbCache (and Tom tom would then work). But there was definitely something not quite right with it.

That said, the "clear" function didn't crash (like with the 700P). So if the clear didn't work, I could either go on to do other stuff, or then do a soft reset to use Tomtom.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Has anyone found a solution for this problem? My "Web" application takes about a minute to load the first time I open it after a backup (I use BackupMan). After that it's fine, until the next backup.
    This might be obvious, but doesn't a soft reset clear the dbCache?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast