1.    #1  
    Hello... I tried finding this via search, but had no luck.... either on this forum or via any of the Treo 700p manuals. If this has been answered before, I'd appreciate if you could point me in that direction. If not...

How can I record a phone call on the 700p? The voice memo program only seems to record through the mic, and does not record the caller on the other end. While this is my first Treo, I know there were apps for the 650 that let you do this (I think I recall reading about them here.) Is there an aftermarket app that I would need to get for the 700p to do this? Or is there something I'm missing in the built-in Voice Memo app and the Treo's native recording capability.

Thank you for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by 77d7
    Hello... I tried finding this via search, but had no luck.... either on this forum or via any of the Treo 700p manuals. If this has been answered before, I'd appreciate if you could point me in that direction. If not...

How can I record a phone call on the 700p? The voice memo program only seems to record through the mic, and does not record the caller on the other end. While this is my first Treo, I know there were apps for the 650 that let you do this (I think I recall reading about them here.) Is there an aftermarket app that I would need to get for the 700p to do this? Or is there something I'm missing in the built-in Voice Memo app and the Treo's native recording capability.

Thank you for your help!
    mVoice by MotionApps does a nice job of this. I use it to record musician interviews over the phone on occasion and it also records to SD cards. The latest version 4.5.2 is certified for the 700P. Give the trial a shot.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet
    mVoice by MotionApps does a nice job of this. I use it to record musician interviews over the phone on occasion and it also records to SD cards. The latest version 4.5.2 is certified for the 700P. Give the trial a shot.
    Thanks for the tip, Jesse. I was actually just taking a look at that!

Sorry if this is a stupid question... but am I correct in my understanding that this feature is NOT built into the 700p? I recall reading an early review (I don't recall which one) where the writer commented about the Treo finally having this ability... I'm guessing he was misinformed.

While I'm new to the Treo, I've carried either a Palm or a Clie consistently since Christmas 2000... so I'm well aware that the actual product frequently doesn't meet expectations, or even Palm's marketing... but this does seem like a considerable oversight on this kind of device, particularly with that prominently placed record button. mVoice, here I come...
    I also faintly remember the review article you're talking about. It does not look like the built in Voice recorder on the 700P records phonecalls let alone record to SD cards.

I'm not sure I would fault Palm for not including this feature since recording phone calls is illegal in some states (at least in Illinois) without first notifing the caller.

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
  5.    #5  
    I also faintly remember the review article you're talking about. It does not look like the built in Voice recorder on the 700P records phonecalls let alone record to SD cards.

I'm not sure I would fault Palm for not including this feature since recording phone calls is illegal in some states (at least in Illinois) without first notifing the caller.
    Good point. It's not something I do widely, only when dealing with certain companies. It's nice to have the ability to do so if needed. I'll likely spend the $25 on mVoice, will install it later today to try it out.
    mVoice is a very cool app. It is a superior voice recorder app compared to the built-in app in the 700p. mVoice can also record phone conversations too, which I've done in the past. I believe once recorded, you can also email the recorded clip as a .wav attachment. How's that for blackmail ? :-))

Casey
    It is my understanding, i may be wrong, that mvoice needs to be on speakerphone to record a phone call, the BEST I have found is CallRec

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-913.html?CallRec

you can change the mapping, I have is set to the side button because it also makes a great instant recorder as the program is not displayed while recording. This program records without having to be on speakerphone, I use it with a wired headset on my 650, (BT on the 650 only records my side).
    mVoice looks awesome, and I remember it being cool on my 650, but it doesn't work properly on my 700. When I play back the recorded call, there's a LOT of distortion, like the volume is too loud. I tried a multitude of options too, increasing the bitrate and disabling volumecare, but everything still sounded the same. They need to get that bug fixed on the 700p.

BTW, this was with version 4.5.2
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleWill
    It is my understanding, i may be wrong, that mvoice needs to be on speakerphone to record a phone call
    mVoice's call recording feature is "built in" sort to speak and you do not have to have the phone on speaker to record the call.

It also has a one-button recording feature.

It lso does a nice job recording podcasts

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    When I play back the recorded call, there's a LOT of distortion, like the volume is too loud.
    I had this problem in my 650 as well. This is the fault of the tinny speaker on the 700 (and 650). Plugging in a stereo headset on the treo or playing the file over PC speakers gets rid of the distortion for me.

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    I had this problem in my 650 as well. This is the fault of the tinny speaker on the 700 (and 650). Plugging in a stereo headset on the treo or playing the file over PC speakers gets rid of the distortion for me.
    It'd be neat if that's the case (can't test it right now), but being able to play it back cleanly on the treo is kind of a given for a program like this.
    On the 600, I used to put the call on speakerphone and fire up soundrec - this worked and can store on SD. Anyone try the launching voice memo while on a call? I'll try it sooner or later.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    Anyone try the launching voice memo while on a call? I'll try it sooner or later.
    OK... this does seem to work. It takes a bit of fumbling around- make call, put on speaker, hit the side button to launch voice memo, start recording, end recording, hit Phone button, end call.

The quality is actually pretty good and in stereo using stereo headphones. Sending the file using Chatter worked but it came to me with a ".qcp" extension on it and nothing in Windows seems to want to open it???

FOLLOW UP: I was able to open the ".qcp" file within Chatter and it asked me if I wanted to open it with either "Sounds" or "Voice Recorder". Choosing Voice Recorder opened it right up. Apparently, you can send a Voice Memo file to another Palm device, but a Windows PC doesn't know what to do with it. Blah.
    Last edited by JesseJstreet; 06/14/2006 at 12:54 PM.

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    FOLLOW UP: I was able to open the ".qcp" file within Chatter and it asked me if I wanted to open it with either "Sounds" or "Voice Recorder". Choosing Voice Recorder opened it right up. Apparently, you can send a Voice Memo file to another Palm device, but a Windows PC doesn't know what to do with it. Blah.
    These ".qcp" files are from Qualcomm's PureVoice codec (the standard voice codec used by CDMA phones). Windows doesn't handle these by default, but can easily be configured to do so. You can download a free PureVoice player/recorder (and .qcp <-> .wav converter) from Qualcomm's site here: http://www.cdmatech.com/products/purevoice_download.jsp

--John
    ^cool. Thanks for the info.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!