Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love the 700p. It doesn't crash. It has lots of memory. EVDO is fast and web browsing and email work great. Finally they have a winner! Or...they ALMOST have a winner were it not for SERIOUS defects that were not present in the 650 with the most basic application of them all: the phone app.

Here's my issue. Sometimes (maybe 20% of the time) the phone app just doesn't respond for 5, 10 or even 15 seconds or more. I was leaving a message for someone today and had it on speaker phone, as I often do when making calls. When it comes time to talk or leave a message, I then switch back to non-speakerphone. I was unable to switch out of speaker phone so I had to leave the message through the lesser-quality speakerphone mode. Not the end of the world. But then I was unable to end the call. The phone simply was not responding to any button presses. So the person heard me trying to hang it up. Quite frankly, it was embarrasing. If this was a client I was trying to impress I would have looked stupid. I'm in the business of technology and this just makes me look stupid.

But that's just the beginning. Much worse is the fact that when the phone app stops responding, it then catches up with all the frustration button presses when it comes back to life. Twice this has meant unintentional calls to the first person in my address book. VERY embarassing.

I'm so frustrated. I also see this lag in other applications, although the consequences are not as big. Is this lag normal? I'm not really talking about the application switching lag (which I also suffer from.) Should I try to get a new phone?

Man, they are sooooo close to a real winner here. Unless i have a defective phone, this is an unconscionable defect. Any amount of testing at all would have caught this bug. How could they release a phone like this??????
  2.    #2  
    Oh, and I'll add that I have NO THIRD PARTY APPS. Zero. Zilch. This thing is stock and only my contacts, calendar and memos loaded up. I'm not counting Versamail since it comes on the CD and is made by Palm. Versamail, FWIW, is very stable unlike on the 650.
    I've seen the same thing. The phone app become non-responsive and then catches up. I've also placed unwanted calls because of this. I suspect it is related to the general delay people have seen in the 700p actions. Hopefully, a rom update will correct it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    I love the 700p. It doesn't crash. It has lots of memory. EVDO is fast and web browsing and email work great. Finally they have a winner! Or...they ALMOST have a winner were it not for SERIOUS defects that were not present in the 650 with the most basic application of them all: the phone app.

Here's my issue. Sometimes (maybe 20% of the time) the phone app just doesn't respond for 5, 10 or even 15 seconds or more. I was leaving a message for someone today and had it on speaker phone, as I often do when making calls. When it comes time to talk or leave a message, I then switch back to non-speakerphone. I was unable to switch out of speaker phone so I had to leave the message through the lesser-quality speakerphone mode. Not the end of the world. But then I was unable to end the call. The phone simply was not responding to any button presses. So the person heard me trying to hang it up. Quite frankly, it was embarrasing. If this was a client I was trying to impress I would have looked stupid. I'm in the business of technology and this just makes me look stupid.

But that's just the beginning. Much worse is the fact that when the phone app stops responding, it then catches up with all the frustration button presses when it comes back to life. Twice this has meant unintentional calls to the first person in my address book. VERY embarassing.

I'm so frustrated. I also see this lag in other applications, although the consequences are not as big. Is this lag normal? I'm not really talking about the application switching lag (which I also suffer from.) Should I try to get a new phone?

Man, they are sooooo close to a real winner here. Unless i have a defective phone, this is an unconscionable defect. Any amount of testing at all would have caught this bug. How could they release a phone like this??????

you do not have a lemon. I am on my 2nd Treo and the lags, hit an icon and it seems like it is frozen are all issues with our current Treo 700p"s
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    you do not have a lemon. I am on my 2nd Treo and the lags, hit an icon and it seems like it is frozen are all issues with our current Treo 700p"s
    Arrrrrggghhhhh!!!! Why must they torture us like this? How could they have not seen this in their testing?
    yup happens to me too.. i am hoping the nect rom update will fix things..
    I noticed that also but this is my first Treo so I wasn't sure if this was normal. It is good to know that the thing _should_ be more responsive.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I know I would feel better if Palm would just say they understand and they are working on it.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  9.    #9  
    How long do you guys think it will take for the first ROM update to be released?
    It seems to happen to me when I am in a low-coverage area and the phone is deciding whether to switch to roaming or stay with sprint's network. In good coverage areas, I don't notice it.
    Yes, join the club. My Sprint 700p also has the delays. I too have experienced everything you described regarding the phone app. Frustrating. Actually, this issue is my only main gripe, in addition to the skipping of music on PTunes. Other than that, the 700p works well for me. We can only hope there will be a firmware update to fix this delay problem.

Casey
    I also have the exact same experiences on my VZW 700P with the significant lags, primarily while in the phone app. A part of me is glad to hear it appears widespread, a) it leads me to believe mine is not a lemon and b) hopefully if it is widespread Palm will correct promptly. Oddly, I am learning to live with it and wait out the lags w/o pushing a lot of other buttons. Not that it is acceptable; of coarse not.

By the way, aside from this major issue, I am also really thrilled with the unit and have loaded it up big time yet still have 75% free memory. I am talking about big apps loaded directly into RAM (w/some databases on a 2GB card):
    -ZLauncher
    -Agendus Pro
    -Pkt Quicken
    -Smart List to go
    -AOL
    -SnapperMail
    -Express
    -Splash Money
    -Splash ID
    -Splash Shopper
    -Splash Photo
    -Leonard Maltin Movie Guide 2006
    -Zagat 2006
    -Take Phone
    -2Dial
    -Filez
    -Resco Expl
    -Resco Backup
    -Cleanup
    -Uninstall
    -LudusP

I had a long daliance with WM5, but am now firmly back with the POS/Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    It seems to happen to me when I am in a low-coverage area and the phone is deciding whether to switch to roaming or stay with sprint's network. In good coverage areas, I don't notice it.
    This is the exact same case for me. Annoying, to say the least.
    <br>
    I am in the same boat as all of you with the phone app, but what really is bad on mine is the unresponsivness in the SMS app. My SMS will completely lock up, then catch up after 10-30 seconds, but I can not do anything while it is locked up. I am also seeing a huge lag in the favorites menu in hte phone app. I am guess a ROM update will fix it, but when I called Palm about it, they said return the unit it is defective.

On a sode note they said that you have to leave BT on the entire time, if you shut it off, you will have to reinstall and repair your headset.....I know that is not right.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I don't have any delays on my 700p in the Phone app. Perhaps I'm not using it the way the rest of you are.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I don't have any delays on my 700p in the Phone app. Perhaps I'm not using it the way the rest of you are.
    Me neither, but I can almost guarantee a 10-15 second delay when loading Blazer. At least I have Opera.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I just use it to make calls! How else would one use it? It took a week or so before I started to notice it. How long have you had yours?

Maybe I/we should return all of these units for new ones. It seems to be the only way to send a message to Palm that these things are suffering from defects and need to be fixed. I don't think it is a hardware isse, but what recourse do I have?
    I have a VZW P and have noticed the same problem. Glad I'm not alone but palm should not have released this phone with this problem.

I just tested it again and called my office voicemail and tapped Speaker Phone. I then tapped Cancel Spkr and it took 11-12 seconds to repond. Completely repeatable. If I tap any other button, like Calendar, it only responds after the Speaker cancels.
    I am also experiencing severe delays with the phone app, as well as lag time when swithcing between certain apps. It is my only real complaint with the phone, and hope this is fixed.
    Palm Vx & Nokia 5170 > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p
  20.    #20  
    OK, Palm apologists, what are we doing wrong? Is this what we deserve for buying the 700p at the time of release? I guess we should assume that this 4th generation of Treos should be so flawed? Should we have expected MAJOR bugs with the most essential, basic of applications...the friggen' app that allows us to make calls??? Unacceptable. There is no excuse whatsoever for this. I'm not looking forward to my blood boiling when the first person chimes in with an excuse for Palm.

On a more productive note, how long does it usually take for ROM updates to come out after a phone is released? What's the best method of bringing this thread to the attention of VZW and Palm? (I'm on VZW.)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast