1.    #1  
    This might be common knowledge, and if it is forgive me, but I found a great utility for the Palm 700p called USBModem by Mobile Stream. You run the app on the 700p, install the included CDMA or GSM modem profile on your Mac, plug in the USB cable, and voila... you have a new port in Network Settings that allows you to use your 700p's EVDO connection at full speed.

You can download a trial version here.

I used it today and it works great. Good luck folks!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    does this work via bluetooth, too? or does anyone know the settings to tether via bluetooth?

also, what is the "phone number" I want it to dial on the Sprint network to establish an EVDO connection?

Thanks.
    To use bluetooth dun do the following (or similar) for a Mac (this doesn't apply to Windows):

Turn on bluetooth on the Treo and make sure it is discoverable (visible)

On the Mac, go to System Preferences and click on the bluetooth panel. Click on the devices tab. Click on the Setup New Device button. If you have data service it should pick this up when the setup wizard is running. You should use a phone number of #777 and the modem script Sprint PCS Vision. I use Verizon so I'm not sure what the user name and password fields should be for Sprint.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Yes, it's common knowledge to anyone who uses the search function! I've used USB Modem for months now. Great program!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    thanks bcaslis - do you know where I can find the Sprint PCS driver for mac?

doc - thanks but no thanks, i'd prefer not to pay for a program to do something that I can do for free...I do, however, appreciate your sarcasm...

can anyone provide info re: what goes in the username & p/w fields for Sprint?

Thanks all.
    You don't need any driver for bluetooth, everything works out of the box. There isn't any driver available for USB, but there is a Palm OS program called USB Modem that is supposed to work for USB connections. I haven't tried it myself.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Has anyone without Sprint's tether $15/month deal using USBModem been charged for usage?
    I followed the MacIT.org instructions setting up the bluetooth connection. It did work and then now it doesn't work. That was strange. Do I need to input something in the account and password fields in order to make it work? It did work without these in the past so I was wondering if that was the problem or something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I followed the MacIT.org instructions setting up the bluetooth connection. It did work and then now it doesn't work. That was strange. Do I need to input something in the account and password fields in order to make it work? It did work without these in the past so I was wondering if that was the problem or something else?

It' used to work for me. now it doesn't.
    The 700p BT option on a Mac is still touchy even with USBmodem. I've had awesome success with USBmodem when using a USB cable (even an inexpensive retractable eBay one). Once in a while I'll forget my cable (which is hard since I keep one in each computer bag and my glovebox) and I'll try to use BT and it just isn't as reliable as with a cable (nor as fast).

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    How's this been working for you? Is it? Mine starting acting up right after I installed the latest Mac Security update (11/28ish)...

Maybe it was a coincidence but...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    This didn't work for me on my 700P with my Powerbook...any ideas? It just says connecting..
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    ...You should use a phone number of #777 and the modem script Sprint PCS Vision. I use Verizon so I'm not sure what the user name and password fields should be for Sprint.
    where do you get this modem script? I have a Macbook Pro with my Sprint 700p. (either BT or USB) thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS View Post
    This might be common knowledge, and if it is forgive me, but I found a great utility for the Palm 700p called USBModem by Mobile Stream. You run the app on the 700p, install the included CDMA or GSM modem profile on your Mac, plug in the USB cable, and voila... you have a new port in Network Settings that allows you to use your 700p's EVDO connection at full speed.

You can download a trial version here.

I used it today and it works great. Good luck folks!
    I've been trying to get this to work with no luck. I have USB Modem installed in RAM on my 700P, but no "voila". I don't get the new port detected dialog. I do have the appropriate Moble Stream CDMA file installed to the modem scripts folder on my MacBook. I do have the bluetooth hack working, but it was flakey and kind of slow. Using the USB tether via USB Modem will be great, if I can get it to work.

Can anybody help?
    I also don't see the 700p as an option in connection manager on my MacBook. What am I doing wrong?
    bcaslis....

I setup my laptop / Treo 700p using you instructions EXACTLY and I can't seem
    to connect?

Is there anything more than what your instructions say that I need to check?

Thanks for the info.

T

Macbook Pro
    Treo 700p
    Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by TISGOD View Post
    bcaslis....

I setup my laptop / Treo 700p using you instructions EXACTLY and I can't seem
    to connect?

Is there anything more than what your instructions say that I need to check?

Thanks for the info.

T

Macbook Pro
    Treo 700p
    Sprint
    You need to install the hack. Detailed instructions here:

http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/

I've got that working as well as can be expected. In other words, bluetooth is a little dodgy on the 700P. The connection drops frequently for me.

I'm willing to pay for the USB Modem program, just can't seem to get it to work, despite the fact that most find it pretty easy to set up. Unfortunately, if I understand correctly, the tethered mode hack only works via bluetooth on Macs. To use usb you need to buy USB Modem. PDAnet only works on Windows PCs.

Once again, any suggestions?
    I'm on Verizon, and USB Modem works really well (using a cable) - except that the connection times out after about half a minute of inactivity, which is a big fricking PITA. Do Expresscard or PCI slot EV-DO cards do the same thing?

Anyway, if the Mac isn't detecting the port and you've installed the script properly, my guess is that you don't have the right modem selected. Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.92) is the one that works for me.