Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    I wouldn't laugh so quickly. I'm trying both a Q and 700p. For phone and bluetooth the Q puts the 700p to shame not to mention the cool form factor.

The Treo can do more and I'm a long time addict of it. But overall for most people I'd have to say the Q is a better choice. And this is from a Mac user who hates Windows products. There are going to sell a ton of these. It doesn't make it a better product but it's nothing to be dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    Q??!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Can we try to stay away from stupid responses like, "If you don't like it, don't buy it" or "You can always return it"...and other remarks like that? Lets debate, not try to remind one another like parents what we can and cannot do with out money and our time.
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    Then why is it that when you go to most developers websites, they list the compatability in terms of Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, etc and not as a blanket - Palm OS 5 compatability. The fact is that you are the one that expects anything to be compatablie so long as it is written for OS 5 - not the world at large. Don't believe me? Go to goodlink, TomTom, Handmark, etc.
    There's a big difference betweeen listing devices supported on a developer's site and the developer having to write a specific version or update for each device. It's easy for a developer to write a compatibility list like that; all they need
    is a user to write them and say "your software works great on my device X." Or the developer might themselves have a bunch of test devices (or emulators) on which they run their app. In many cases those lists come from the developers writing a PalmOS5 (or whatever version) app and just listing all the known devices that run that version of the OS.

What they are not doing (except for a few very specific-purpose apps) is rewriting or recompiling their apps for each platform. (Obviously, they may add some custom code to take advantage of a specific device feature like the 5-way but that's not required).

For example, let's take one of the developers you mention above: Handmark. If you look at PocketChess Deluxe on their site the list of compatible devices is:

Garmin iQue 3200, iQue 3600
    Handspring Treo 180, Treo 270, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 90, Visor Series
    Kyocera 6035, 7135
    Palm i705, III Series, LifeDrive, m100, m105, m125, m130, m500, m505, m515, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Tungsten C, Tungsten E, Tungsten E2, Tungsten T, Tungsten T2, Tungsten T3, Tungsten T5, Tungsten W, T|X, V Series, VII Series, Z22, Zire, Zire 21, Zire 31, Zire 31, Zire 71, Zire 72
    Samsung i300, i330, SGH i500, SPH i500
    Sony Clie N Series, NR Series, NX Series, NZ Series, S Series, SLSJ Series, T Series, TG Series, TH Series, TJ Series, UX Series
    Tapwave Zodiac http://handmark.com/images/shim.gif

Do you really think they had to specifically customize the app to target each of those devices individually? Of course not. They wrote the app to run on any device running PalmOS4 (or above) and they are simply listing devices that meet that OS requirement. Even though they have the 700p listed as a compatible device the current version of the software (2.51) was written in 2003. I'm pretty sure they didn't have a 700p to customize it for way back then!
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    I haven't noticed PocketTunes skipping when I change apps, but I don't normally use mine while trying out other apps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the Treo was designed to be a multi-tasking system, I would EXPECT it to slow down when switching apps. For grins, run a video viewer, or even an MP3 player on your Windows system, and then do something that access the hard drive. Watch what happens.
    But I expect the Treo 700p to be able to play music without skipping because the previous version (the 650) could do it. My personal opinion is that that a new, supposedly upgraded model of a device should be able to do what the previous versions could do. I'm funny that way.

As for Windows, I am able to play music in the background without it skipping even if I run disk intensive apps. Perhaps there's something wrong with your system?

Yes, I've seen delays in apps, and in the phone system. Saw it too on the 650. They eventually fixed it.
    That's my point. If it was fixed for the 650, why should it be OK that a newer version is broken again? That's why they make regression test harnesses.

I've never seen the "white screen of death". I'm sure it's there, but I haven't seen it.

No problems with BT devices on mine, but I only use two, my headset and my computer.
    But can you at least admit that these are probably real problems experienced by a large percentage of 700p users?

I've had to reset mine twice so far. Not outstanding, but better than my 600 or my 650.
    My 650 reset (either initiated by me or the device) maybe 5 times in the more than a year and a half that I have owned it. For my 700p I average that many resets (either initiated by me or the device) every 2-3 days.

I haven't run any benchmark tests. They're frankly meaningless to me. If it looks OK to me, then it's OK. If it doesn't, then it's not. For me.
    I agree. Benchmarks are meaningless if your device does what it's supposed to reliably and quickly enough to not impact your work. However for the issues that many are having with the 700p benchmarks do give more data to try to understand the problem.
    Is anyone else nervous about him text messaging surgery suggestions???

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571
    it's called monopoly. There are no other palm os options on the market. I'm tired of getting text messages and not knowing who sent them. I have coworkers covering surgeries that have questions, and I don't know how to answer them because all have different levels of knowledge about what they're doing. If I know who it is, I know what doctor they're working with and all that goes along with it so I can give them a proper answer. Or people giving me invites to things, and I don't know who it is so I can't respond. Responding to the wrong people that wished me a happy birthday and ticking off my ex who didn't send the message.

So when there aren't options, one is forced into using something they really don't care for. So rethink your logic of why people choose something they don't particularly like or want. And don't worry, as soon as LG comes through (which doesn't seem like it'll be in the near future) or the Hollywood version comes out (which is what the 700 should've been considering it's the 3rd gen of the same big bulky phone) you won't hear me *****.

Plus....I too am seeing some major battery drain during periods of limited use (like overnights). I had a full battery when I went to bad, and outside of snoozing the alarm in the morning, it had no use.
    Quote Originally Posted by mshaw1515
    Is anyone else nervous about him text messaging surgery suggestions???

One word
    HIPPA
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl

Do you really think they had to specifically customize the app to target each of those devices individually? Of course not. They wrote the app to run on any device running PalmOS4 (or above) and they are simply listing devices that meet that OS requirement. Even though they have the 700p listed as a compatible device the current version of the software (2.51) was written in 2003. I'm pretty sure they didn't have a 700p to customize it for way back then!
    Actually, from Good's standpoint, is we certify each device on each carrier because the carriers have their own standard loads and their own ROM images. For that reason, we don't blanket certify. This is one of the reasons the Cingular 8125 was certified long before the Sprint 6700 and why the 650 wasn't blanket certified on it's release.
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandezjc11
    Can we try to stay away from stupid responses like, "If you don't like it, don't buy it" or "You can always return it"...and other remarks like that? Lets debate, not try to remind one another like parents what we can and cannot do with out money and our time.
    Well said. You know there's a problem when the fanboys even admit to white screens and increased lag time over the 650. Palm has a few things to fix on the 700p.
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Actually, from Good's standpoint, is we certify each device on each carrier because the carriers have their own standard loads and their own ROM images. For that reason, we don't blanket certify. This is one of the reasons the Cingular 8125 was certified long before the Sprint 6700 and why the 650 wasn't blanket certified on it's release.
    Yes, I can definitely see why that makes sense for an app like yours. As I said there are exceptions. But the majority of palm apps are not custom built for each different device but the developer may (or may not) simply certify that it works properly on different devices. Do you agree with that?
    I absolutely agree.
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    I absolutely agree.
    I edited my post to add "but the developer may (or may not) simply certify that it works properly on different devices" after you said that. Just wanted to let you know in case you don't actually agree with the edit.
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandezjc11
    ok that makes no sense. you wanna debate something none of us can fix- you think palm really cares what a few hundred people on this site think to highly? i seriously doubt it honestly with their volume of sales, theyre too busy counting their money from the flood of orders coming in every day for the device still. People are still buying up the new treos so what do they care, the average user doesnt notice these kind of things. On the other hand I took my own advice and called Palm up today and got a sku number to return my 700p and went out and bout a new lg 550. She asked my i ask why im returning it for the notes, and i said the phone basically sux not worth the high price for little upgrade, buggy, and bluetooth just sucks on it. Maybe those comments will actually get relayed. But i doubt debating something in these forums will change anything over on Palm's side of the world, they just dont care bout us small people unless u make a true statement and hurt them in the pockey. And by that i dont mean they dont care about customers but seriously were not a volume of 250,000 treo purchasers that could cause a stir in sales- were a mere few hundred at the most- of which maybe half think the phone has flaws, that wont influence palm to change trust me. Now they get a few hundred returns all the sudden for bluetooth/bug complaints, they might sense a problem...
    Last edited by michman81; 06/15/2006 at 10:45 PM.
    I bet that they've gotten hundreds of returns already.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I bet that they've gotten hundreds of returns already.
    i totally agree but nothings going to make them change the device anytime soon theyre still flooded with orders and making their $$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by michman81
    ok that makes no sense. you wanna debate something none of us can fix- you think palm really cares what a few hundred people on this site think to highly? i seriously doubt it honestly with their volume of sales, theyre too busy counting their money from the flood of orders coming in every day for the device still. People are still buying up the new treos so what do they care, the average user doesnt notice these kind of things. On the other hand I took my own advice and called Palm up today and got a sku number to return my 700p and went out and bout a new lg 550. She asked my i ask why im returning it for the notes, and i said the phone basically sux not worth the high price for little upgrade, buggy, and bluetooth just sucks on it. Maybe those comments will actually get relayed. But i doubt debating something in these forums will change anything over on Palm's side of the world, they just dont care bout us small people unless u make a true statement and hurt them in the pockey. And by that i dont mean they dont care about customers but seriously were not a volume of 250,000 treo purchasers that could cause a stir in sales- were a mere few hundred at the most- of which maybe half think the phone has flaws, that wont influence palm to change trust me. Now they get a few hundred returns all the sudden for bluetooth/bug complaints, they might sense a problem...
    So according to what your saying, what is the point of evening talking about the 700P? Why even bother coming to these forums, crying and moaning when there is nothing we can do about it? I don't think most people read these forums everyday because there searching for some magic code to punch into their phones that will make the treo faster, or fix other problems. People want to air out their complaints, talk with others that are going through the same thing, and find out what their experiences are. Everyone has their own opinions on what is good and bad with the 700P, and what should be done. My point is comments like, ďDonít buy it, or exchange it" don't accomplish anything. It seems like some people just want to sit on a high horse and point their finger down on the disappointed treo users and say you should've known better, this is what you get. I guess debate wasn't the best word to use. Maybe I'm just looking for a more enlightened and mature conversation from some of the most sophisticated users the tech community as to offer.
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by michman81
    i totally agree but nothings going to make them change the device anytime soon theyre still flooded with orders and making their $$$$
    You'd be surprised. A lot of people read these forums before buying a product. If enough people complain here about the 700p it will affect Palm's bottom line. Palm knows that and does not want a lot of people saying bad things about their product.
    ^true! One reason I skipped the 650 was reading numerous complaints in this forum when first released (remember the free SD card offering to assuage the masses?). After Palm worked the bugs out, too late for me since the 700 was coming - albeit later than I thought.

Anxiously awaiting the first firmware update but I can live with it for now. Then my 700P will be like new - AGAIN.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Another complaining thread. I'm not surprised.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    [QUOTE=bcaslis]I wouldn't laugh so quickly. I'm trying both a Q and 700p. For phone and bluetooth the Q puts the 700p to shame not to mention the cool form factor./QUOTE]

you are kidding right? on both phone and bluetooth the q has plenty of problems.
    it has way less capabilities and as far as the cool factor, the Q is "cool" to people who dont care about utility --right down to the problems with the keyboard
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUES
    Another complaining thread. I'm not surprised.
    You're not surprised that there are a lot of complaints about the 700p?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456