Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 120
  1. #81  
    how do you shut down the radio? (evdo)?
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Clip Carl I agree completely! I could not have said it better myself. All these reviews ae BS to say the least. Sucking off Palm so the reviewer will get cred. THIS IS NOT SUBJECTIVE. Go to palm.com & compare the 650 & 700. It is CLEAR on their own website that this is not a sifnificant upgrade!!!
    Who gives a f*ck what some reviewer says? If it's not a significant upgrade for you, DON"T BUY IT!! Sheeeeeeeesh. How else is Palm going to get your message? It is all subjective and all opinion. The facts are that, for some of us, EVDO and more memory is all we were asking for and we are happy. If you hate it because it won't wash your car for you or take your kids to the mall when you're tired, go buy that WM5 device. I am sure you'll be much happier.
    Last edited by Brooose; 06/14/2006 at 08:07 PM.
  3. ink883's Avatar
    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by herbbette
    how do you shut down the radio? (evdo)?
    When you hold down the red button it will turn off the radio. This is also called flightmode in the manual or My Treo app.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    Who gives a f*ck what some reviewer says? If it's not a significant upgrade for you, DON"T BUY IT!! Sheeeeeeeesh. How else is Palm going to get your message? It is all subjective and all opinion. The facts are that, for some of us, EVDO and more memory is all we were asking for and we are happy. If you hate it because it won't wash your car for you or take your kids to the mall when you're tired, go buy that WM5 device. I am sure you'll be much happier.
    And what I and others have been saying all along is the EVDO and more memory is enough of an upgrade. Otherwise we wouldn't have bought the thing in the first place. Sure more features would have been nicer but I made the decision long before the 700p came out that for my job (I travel a lot) I really need EVDO and DUN. So it's not about complaing that there aren't enough new features but that the features that the 700p has don't work right. Since there are so few changes from the 650, it really doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me that old features that worked fine on the 650 should be messed up on the 700p. It just smells like poor engineering and QA.
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    It is very obvious that the EVDO radio is using more resources that FrankenGarnet is not able to manage well (at the moment) which could explain the lags etc. Palm took a long time to get EVDO to work on FrankenGarnet - this tweaking of the OS might be causing issues in other apps. It could be underpowered to handle the new radio. An update is forthcoming surely, but not sure if it will address all the issues. JMHO.
    Oh, I see what you are saying. That makes sense but on the other hand turning off the radio doesn't seem to make any difference for me. I actually hope what you say isn't true because if the OS and CPU aren't able to handle the resource requirements of the radio (or perhaps of the new memory) then that makes it a much more difficult fix. In that case then perhaps the 700p really needed to be shipped with a faster processor or lower latency bus / memory and there's not much a firmware update will be able to do.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Clip Carl I agree completely! I could not have said it better myself. All these reviews ae BS to say the least. Sucking off Palm so the reviewer will get cred. THIS IS NOT SUBJECTIVE. Go to palm.com & compare the 650 & 700. It is CLEAR on their own website that this is not a sifnificant upgrade!!!
    Well said. Not only isn't it a significant upgrade to the 650, but the 700p is actually WORSE than the 650 in many areas. That's what's so unacceptable.
  7. #87  
    Well... I'm sure that after an update a lot of this stuff will be fixed. Though, yes you're right, some of it should not have happened in the first place (now if I had a dollar for every time I said that about a computing device....)

    In all honesty, and I say this having one on order myself, I think that looking back 5 years from now the 700p will mostly likely be seen as a forgettable stop-gap device between the "old generation" of Palms and the new linux based Palms (for which I'm sure Palm will pull out the stops and release a lot of the hardware everyone has been asking for). Of course, if the new Palm OS turns out to be significantly worse than the current PalmOS (which I think is entirely possible given the extent to which it is being modified; for some reason people assume everything linux is automatically good) then the 700p may simply be seen as the last true Treo.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by notacon
    I have not had to soft reset even once. On demand works without a hitch. A new BT headset worked immediately. My Snapper mail loaded up and works flawlessly. I never have had the “white screen of death”. I do not see unusual times to switch from one program to another

    ...Maybe I am just lucky…but I do not have the same experience that others have. I LOVE this phone!!
    My experience exactly; while I have seen the "white screen of boredom" a few times, it's not an everytime thing, and like you, I haven't done a soft reset once since I got it.

    With my 650, which I also loved, I had to do soft resets all the time. Perhaps that was due to some piece of software that I didn't put on this device, but at any rate, this thing seems to be very reliable for me. I'm still happy with it, and look forward to it only getting better over time.
  9. #89  
    When I read these sorts of posts, I continually ask myself, "Why did they buy it if they HATE it so much?"

    This very problem is what tech magazines and websites are for; they give us the opportunity to read reviews before we make a purchase. I can't for the life of me understand why people buy this device if they hate it so much!

    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571
    coming from an i500, I hate the treo in general. It's big and bulky, and being in its third generation it has changed very little, and I don't mean that in a good way. By now the antenna should be integrated, the SD slot should be better integrated meaning you shouldn't have a risk of it popping out. Recess it more or have a sliding cover. I wouldn't even mind it inside the battery case. There's no reason it needs to be as thick as it is. I think its width could be streamlined a touch as well. The stupid Hollywood pics and rumors are all floating around. I feel like the only reason the 700p was released was to rush an EVDO treo to the market and keep people satiated (and milk more money out of their customers) until the Hollywood version came out. Yes the Moto Q and Samsung i320 are not treo killers, but they are a damn good showing of what could be. And the fact that these are offically announced while after three tries, Palm still couldn't do anything to reduce the size is just wrong. And even looking at the Hollywood pics, the sd slot still is unprotected with the card protruding slightly.

    And having upgraded from the i500, it seems all I did was trade in an old set of workarounds for ones. For me, the only thing it really gave me was evdo and much improved text messaging at the expense of almost twice the mass and weight.
  10. #90  
    Some people will never be satisfied If you don't like a product, you have a choice to return it.
    Jimmie Geddes
  11. #91  
    it's called monopoly. There are no other palm os options on the market. I'm tired of getting text messages and not knowing who sent them. I have coworkers covering surgeries that have questions, and I don't know how to answer them because all have different levels of knowledge about what they're doing. If I know who it is, I know what doctor they're working with and all that goes along with it so I can give them a proper answer. Or people giving me invites to things, and I don't know who it is so I can't respond. Responding to the wrong people that wished me a happy birthday and ticking off my ex who didn't send the message.

    So when there aren't options, one is forced into using something they really don't care for. So rethink your logic of why people choose something they don't particularly like or want. And don't worry, as soon as LG comes through (which doesn't seem like it'll be in the near future) or the Hollywood version comes out (which is what the 700 should've been considering it's the 3rd gen of the same big bulky phone) you won't hear me *****.

    Plus....I too am seeing some major battery drain during periods of limited use (like overnights). I had a full battery when I went to bad, and outside of snoozing the alarm in the morning, it had no use.

    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    When I read these sorts of posts, I continually ask myself, "Why did they buy it if they HATE it so much?"

    This very problem is what tech magazines and websites are for; they give us the opportunity to read reviews before we make a purchase. I can't for the life of me understand why people buy this device if they hate it so much!


    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    Why is it obviously the radio and not the memory? I don't notice a speed increase when i shut down the radio and switch apps.
    My speculation is that they tweaked Frankengarnet yet again to accommodate the new radio. So the OS is different albeit slightly. Which is causing issues with some 3rd party apps. These will need to updated for the 'tweaked' OS. Doesn't matter if the radio is on or off. I don't think Palm would put 'slower' memory modules in the 700P - they might just need to streamline memory management maybe. Again, JMHO.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Oh, wait, the built in apps don't work right either.

    Newsflash folks: there's nothing wrong with those applications. There's something wrong with the 700p. Basic testing would easily have shown that the 700p computer has trouble running programs. Either Palm didn't do that basic testing or they didn't care and shipped a computer with these problems anyway. Either way it's inexcusable.
    That's just not my experience; they seem to work just fine for me. From reading all the angry posts, I have to assume that some of the 700p devices don't work as well as others. Mine works great; as I mentioned before, I've yet to do a soft reset, and only did a hard reset because I was trying to get tethered mode to work.

    The only problem with unequivocal posts such as yours is that it gives people the impression that everyone is having the same problem, and I and others are not...
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    Who gives a f*ck what some reviewer says? If it's not a significant upgrade for you, DON"T BUY IT!! Sheeeeeeeesh. How else is Palm going to get your message? It is all subjective and all opinion. The facts are that, for some of us, EVDO and more memory is all we were asking for and we are happy. If you hate it because it won't wash your car for you or take your kids to the mall when you're tired, go buy that WM5 device. I am sure you'll be much happier.
    I agree 100% with you, Brrrrrrooooooose.
  15. #95  
    your statement is a little too general. How about, "If you don't like a product because it doesn't work the way it is supposed to work, you have a choice to return it if the company doesn't take the steps to get it working properly."

    And with only a 14 day window, it's not like you're going to uncover all the things you don't like about it or find all the things that don't work correctly by then. So you really just can't return it.

    And I'm not bashing the treo. It is what it is. I just wish there was an updated palm os phone out there along the size of the i500. If they came out with the i550 I wouldn't even be posting here. My preference of phone style is not a big rectangular thick candybar style phone. But it doesn't mean I want to hate and bash it on here endlessly. In fact, I think I've only had one or two posts tops that were complaints, and if asked I'll always say it's a big brick. But it does have some good features that make it tolerable. And while I'll miss my i5, I'm happy I've gained some basic functionality I was missing in the i5 because sprint chose to not support it and let it die out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Some people will never be satisfied If you don't like a product, you have a choice to return it.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/15/2006 at 12:20 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    That's just not my experience; they seem to work just fine for me. From reading all the angry posts, I have to assume that some of the 700p devices don't work as well as others. Mine works great; as I mentioned before, I've yet to do a soft reset, and only did a hard reset because I was trying to get tethered mode to work.

    The only problem with unequivocal posts such as yours is that it gives people the impression that everyone is having the same problem, and I and others are not...
    Are you saying that your PocketTunes doesn't skip when switching apps? Or you have never seen the long app-switching delays? Never seen the white-screen-of-death? Never had to reset your 700p because it stopped working right? Never had delays with the Phone app? No problems with bluetooth devices dropping off? When you load apps on the 700p your benchmark scores (Speedy, PalmBench, PalmInternals) aren't significantly slower than on the 650?

    If not then maybe this is just a bad batch of hardware and you got a good one. However, judging from what I've seen on TC on multiple threads people who say everything is working great seem to be in a minority. Maybe we should have a poll to see the relative percentage of TC users who have experienced these problems vs. those who have not.

    Can you post scores from those three benchmarks on your 700p and a list of the apps you have installed?
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Some have tried to assert that the general case for Palm applications is that they are written to target a specific model of device only. I.e., that one should not expect an app to run on the 700p unless it is specifically designed or updated to run on the 700p. As a general rule, that is false.
    Then why is it that when you go to most developers websites, they list the compatability in terms of Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, etc and not as a blanket - Palm OS 5 compatability. The fact is that you are the one that expects anything to be compatablie so long as it is written for OS 5 - not the world at large. Don't believe me? Go to goodlink, TomTom, Handmark, etc.
  18. #98  
    You're throwing a bunch of stuff out there cc, but I think these are reasonable responses, and a reasonable assessment:


    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Are you saying that your PocketTunes doesn't skip when switching apps? Or you have never seen the long app-switching delays? Never seen the white-screen-of-death? Never had to reset your 700p because it stopped working right? Never had delays with the Phone app? No problems with bluetooth devices dropping off? When you load apps on the 700p your benchmark scores (Speedy, PalmBench, PalmInternals) aren't significantly slower than on the 650?
    I haven't noticed PocketTunes skipping when I change apps, but I don't normally use mine while trying out other apps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the Treo was designed to be a multi-tasking system, I would EXPECT it to slow down when switching apps. For grins, run a video viewer, or even an MP3 player on your Windows system, and then do something that access the hard drive. Watch what happens.

    Yes, I've seen delays in apps, and in the phone system. Saw it too on the 650. They eventually fixed it.

    I've never seen the "white screen of death". I'm sure it's there, but I haven't seen it.

    No problems with BT devices on mine, but I only use two, my headset and my computer.

    I've had to reset mine twice so far. Not outstanding, but better than my 600 or my 650.

    I haven't run any benchmark tests. They're frankly meaningless to me. If it looks OK to me, then it's OK. If it doesn't, then it's not. For me.

    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    If not then maybe this is just a bad batch of hardware and you got a good one. However, judging from what I've seen on TC on multiple threads people who say everything is working great seem to be in a minority. Maybe we should have a poll to see the relative percentage of TC users who have experienced these problems vs. those who have not.
    I'll offer up another possibility. How about pondering this. I believe that MOST of the 700P purchasers are power users. We've been waiting on the EVDO system we've been wanting, and jumped on it immediately. We got the device, and it worked OK out of the box. Some of us immediately piled our favorite apps on it, some of us "patiently" waited and added them in slowly to find which ones didn't work ("patiently" as in a day or less).

    Several months ago, one of my clients had a Treo 650. Of course, it caught my attention. I asked how she liked it, and she said she loved it, but she couldn't figure out how to make it get her email. I set it up for her.

    I noticed she had NOTHING added to it. I asked her about that. She didn't know how to add programs. As I set up her email, we chatted. I mentioned that I really like my 650, but I don't feel comfortable recommending it to folks that aren't "power users" because of its "erratic" ways.

    She asked what I was talking about. I mentioned spontaneous resets every couple of days, having to occasionally force a reset. Making sure that I had multiple regular backups to ensure I don't loose important data, etc.

    "hmmmm", she said "Mine never resets. I didn't know you could back it up. Maybe you got a bad one..."

    Of course, she had nothing extra on it. NOTHING. I thought about showing her ways to "improve" her 650 (like I had mine), but thought it over. Would I really be improving it for her, or complicating it?

    Just something to think about.
  19. #99  
    i only read the title and not the 5 pages of thread, no it is not O.K. to be angry at your phone. It works fine, if you don't think so return it for an exchange and of you are still not happy return it all together and get a Q
    Treoing & Loving it
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    i only read the title and not the 5 pages of thread, no it is not O.K. to be angry at your phone. It works fine, if you don't think so return it for an exchange and of you are still not happy return it all together and get a Q
    Q??!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions