Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I've been having problems recently with Chatter syncing my IMAP accounts - it's actually a hosted exchange account through 1and1.com. Marc suggested that 1and1 had a buggy IMAP implementation, but I have no issues with it via Versamail. In the past, when this sort of thing happened I chocked it up to the continually failing data access I had on my phone in recent weeks with Tmobile, but now that I have a Sprint 700P, I figured that wasn't the cause. I tried a bunch of things, thinking maybe it was some message that was screwing things up - made it only sync the last day's worth of email, reloaded the mailboxes, etc. Nothing seemed to work.

Basically, this is what I was experiencing - on one folder (my inbox), Chatter kept trying to log in again and again, without downloading anything new. The other mailbox was not showing the same issue, but had another issue (which the inbox also had) which was that I got a bunch of messages showing up with no author, subject or body, and a timestamp of 12:00.

So I finally decided to try not having it save messages to the card, reloaded the mailboxes and now everything is syncing perfectly. Could this be a bug, a corrupt card, a corrupt mailbox folder? I'm not sure, but I thought I'd help others who might experience the same thing that it may have nothing to do with your account, messages on your account, or data connection per se...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I have no idea, honestly. 1and1.com has a terrible IMAP implementation, to the extent that I've given up trying to support users on their system.

Marc
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    I have no idea, honestly. 1and1.com has a terrible IMAP implementation, to the extent that I've given up trying to support users on their system.

Marc
    Hmmm. Is there anything in particular about their implementation that is problematic? Something that I can call them and ask them about/try to get them to change. I simply don't want to go with a plain IMAP provider because they don't offer hosting of other Exchange data like Calendars, To-do lists, and contacts. 1and1 is the cheapest hosted Exchange account out there at $6/month.

The other thing I'm wondering, though, is whether this has anything at all to do with their implementation? I mean, if when I switch from the card to main memory storage on the Treo and it fixes everything, doesn't that indicate an issue with how Chatter is storing mail, not how 1and1 is providing it? So either my card is corrupting the mailboxes that Chatter is storing on it, or Chatter somehow doesn't like the card, or something along those lines? There's a thread in the Treo Yahoo! Group about someone who's having some problems with corrupted mailboxes on their card. Coincidentally, right before I switched to the 700P, Chatter started resetting every time I went into it on my 650 (GSM Unlocked via Tmobile). I even removed all references to Chatter on my card (a different one than the one I'm using on my 700P), but that didn't help. I didn't pursue it after that because I got the 700P, but could their be something a litle sketchy about some cards and how Chatter interacts with them?
    Twitter: @dvdmon