Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else try Uncache with a Treo 700p.

http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....showpage&pid=9

I get about a 3-5 second savings on reboot with my Treo 700p with uncache enabled.

Also, my free dbcache after reboot goes from 8912k to 13958k.

Not sure if this is really needed or not with the 700p. It does seem slightly snappier after using uncache.
    I played and since there is no documentation with it, I deleted everything it said was ready to rock and roll, reset it and it did no rock and roll. Hard reset and installation of the latest backup. Ben
    All,

This is an interesting little application! I installed it despite the lack of documentation, and enabled it and it reset the device. As many are aware from following the posts on this board, there has been some concern that background applications may cause traditional backup software to fail.

Both BackupMan and RescoBackup fail with certain applications in memory and result in an incomplete backup set. I have been experimenting with this over the last week and have resolved myself to only starting backup software after a WARM reset for a full and safe backup.

With this little program running, and not disabling any of its features, I have been able to run BackupMan and RescoBackup to completion without a reset when past backups had failed. It is worth looking at for any one who IS having problems with backup software.

Regards,

Jim
    Can anyone give me a quick overview on what this "Uncache" app and those similar to it are supposed to do? The web page really isn't very clear... How is it supposed to help your palm?

Thanks!
  5.    #5  
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think when the Palm OS resets, it sends a message to every app on the device. This causes the app to load and unload, which theoretically slows down rebooting, and also fragments dbcache memory.

This app disables this functionality, so that no apps get this message, hence they don't load and unload on reboot. From what I've read, there are still certain apps that you must add to the List in Uncache so they still receive this reset message, otherwise they don't work. Typically these are things that run in the background, launchers, clocks, etc.

I have zlauncher, Business Connection email, and my alarm clock application set up in the list in Uncache, so they still receive the events.

I haven't purchased Uncache. I'm just testing it out.
    Thanks! I guess I'll test it out too to see if I notice a difference.
    UnCache works on the simple principle: It prevents initialization of the selected apps after a soft reset.

Under normal conditions all apps gets called after a reset. This means:
    1. Loading of the first app segment into DbCache (up to 64K per app)
    2. Sending a launch code to that app. Applications react this way:
    - Most of them simply ignore this call
    - Background apps open its databases and do other initialization (i.e. prepare itself for work)
    - Some other apps may also react: For example backup programs use to do the scheduling, mp3 players may ask the OS to register them as mp3 handlers etc.

What's good on UnCache:
    If you do proper application selection, then you will prevent loading of applications that do not need any reset initialization. This means less work after reset and larger DbCache space left.

What's risky on UnCache:
    If you select an app that needs to be initialized, then this app will either cease working or work only partially. For example backup scheduling stops working.

UnCache looks like a good tool, but use it with care.

Best regards,
    Jan Slodicka
    Resco
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I am not sure I understand. I too am a physician with several large databases for drugs and diagnosis, I just need a simple backup. At this board's rec I bought rescoBU, but could not get a successful backup unless I excluded most of the large databases. However with this uncache enabled, but nothing selected(except the default), my backup runs and so do my applications. Is this uncache more like "startup" on a pc? With it enabled will all the applications function, they just have to be loaded when I want them?
    Er, just do a warm reset, do backup, soft reset when done.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Here's what I've found, using Resco Backup. I have a lot in RAM (only about 14 megs free left). During the INITIAL backup, I would get crashes (soft resets) part way through. However, some DID backup, and when I then went to "update" that backup, there was now less to backup.

So the first time it crashed at 25% done, second time 45% done, third time 70% done, etc. It took about 4-5 times, but then it did the backup fine. AND subsequent incremental backups (which I do automatically every 6 hours) work fine. In addition, I've tested the restore function 3 times already, and it works fine.

So I don't do any regular FULL backups, but have a couple different scheduled incremental backups, and that's been working fine. Hope that's of some help....
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    i will try that. Did the restore do it incremental or all at the same time?
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    It worked but they it would reset after the verify. How do I know if it is verified?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Restore was all at the same time. Everything was working perfectly (except Bluetooth had to be reset up for devices, but I believe that's true for all backup programs). Verify will NOT work for me, for same reason as full backups.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctoss
    It worked but they it would reset after the verify. How do I know if it is verified?
    Doctoss,

I would STRONGLY suggest going to the Resco Bulletin Board at:

www.resco.net/forums

There is a large thread there about this issue with input by myself and others regarding the reasons for RBackup failure and how unCache works. Also, Jan, one of the program developers is very active on the site and can better assist you with your problem. As you will find in that forum, I had this problem as well. With unCache enabled and ZLauncher locked I was able to run RBackup in both backup and verify modes with no problems.

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    Here's what I've found, using Resco Backup. I have a lot in RAM (only about 14 megs free left). During the INITIAL backup, I would get crashes (soft resets) part way through. However, some DID backup, and when I then went to "update" that backup, there was now less to backup.

So the first time it crashed at 25% done, second time 45% done, third time 70% done, etc. It took about 4-5 times, but then it did the backup fine. AND subsequent incremental backups (which I do automatically every 6 hours) work fine. In addition, I've tested the restore function 3 times already, and it works fine.

So I don't do any regular FULL backups, but have a couple different scheduled incremental backups, and that's been working fine. Hope that's of some help....
    pdadoc,

If you are getting crashes during FULL backups you are having problems with some programs being LOCKED into dbcache and causing the crash. These are typically background running applications that fill the dBcache and cause fragmentation. I am still puzzled that incremental backups on top of a flawed initial backup would work and I, personally IMHO would not trust it to restore.

I personally swear by unCache and have no relationship to the developer as a matter of disclosure. It made RBackup work for me on both full and verify and partial backup and appears safe. Aside from that remedy, the only SAFE backup would be following a warm restart which I advocated until I got unCache religion of sorts.

If you are having further problems, Jan are www.resco.net/forums is a wealth of information and the posts there might prove very helpful to your situation.

Regards,

Jim
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    DrCJ- thanks for your post. I had looked at UnCache, but it seemed to be more of an app related to making startup times faster (by not loading unecessary apps into cache, i think). It seemed rather confusing to know exactly *which* apps should be checked and which should not (and I have a *lot* of apps).

Since you've had such great success, can you tell me roughly which apps (or types of apps) you've checked, and I'll give it another look. RBackup DOES do my incremental backups (AND restores) without problem. But if I can reduce the dbCache load, that would be great. I've basically given up on using Blazer, as I frequently get "please wait" or it just won't open, until soft reset. Xiino, on the other hand, clearly works fine even with very little dbCache left...
    I understand the principle behind UnCache, how does it differ from RLock?

It seems they have the same goal, but I suspect they go about achieving it differently.

Thanks,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos
    UnCache works on the simple principle: It prevents initialization of the selected apps after a soft reset.

What's risky on UnCache:
    If you select an app that needs to be initialized, then this app will either cease working or work only partially. For example backup scheduling stops working.

UnCache looks like a good tool, but use it with care.

Resco
    Jan,

I'm confused, but I suspect you mean the exact OPPOSITE of the bolded words above.

Is it not true that UnCache loads/initializes selected applications, i.e., those you "Add" in it's selection dialog, and does NOT initialize those that are not selected?

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Bill, I believe he means that the apps selected in UnCache will not load/unload on reset, thereby causing problems with alarms and scheduled items if a selected app has an alarm or schedule. If all apps load/unload on reset, the dbcache is reduced and causes problems like resets in Resco Backup. UnCache removes the unnecessary apps (i.e., no alarms or schedules) from that reset sequence.
    Otterman,

If this is true, I've been using UnCache exactly opposite of what I thought.

If what you're saying is true, UnCache with nothing selected (Add) will operate as if it were not installed, in other words, everything will get initialized at reset.

Conversely, those that are selected (Add) will NOT get initialized at reset.

Is that correct?

If so, one would want to select (Add) as MANY apps as possible so they DON'T initialize at reset and exclude (not Add) those appls like timers and background apps so they WILL initialize at reset.

This seems counterintuitive to me.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast