Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPetro
    Is it not true that UnCache loads/initializes selected applications, i.e., those you "Add" in it's selection dialog, and does NOT initialize those that are not selected?
    Yes, it is so as you write. I did not run it before, but now I installed it and verified.

By default it does not select any application. For example RBackup scheduling is switched off; you can check it easily by inspecting the alarms either via Palm Internals or Resco Explorer. Once you add RBackup, its alarm will be defined.

I was a bit surprised that UnCache came with predefined (?) list containing apps such as UMDH, which I sometimes had on my T650, but meanwhile deleted.

Best regards
    Otterman,

If this is true, I've been using UnCache exactly opposite of what I thought.

If what you're saying is true, UnCache with nothing selected (Add) will operate as if it were not installed, in other words, everything will get initialized at reset.

Conversely, those that are selected (Add) will NOT get initialized at reset.

Is that correct?

If so, one would want to select (Add) as MANY apps as possible so they DON'T initialize at reset and exclude (not Add) those appls like timers and background apps so they WILL initialize at reset.

This seems counterintuitive to me.
    Bill,

NO that is wrong! Let me give you an example of unCache. With unCache loaded as it was from a fresh download only the developers applications are added to the list. That means that they will be ADDED to the 64K system call at reset. Dmitry has added these as a matter of course for his programs leaving them or removing them will not affect the system. WITH unCache installed as above the program VOLUMECARE will NOT operate and no boost or other program defaults will work. If you ADD Volumecare to the ADD list it now works as directed. So Bill, you were using it correctly. As a further test of concept, check the dBcache with another tool and then add things to the add list with unCache and then recheck. You will see that the dBcache LOWERS with subsequent startups as things are added.

The whole concept of unCache is to free cache from the 68k system calls and it does this well but at a cost. The cost is that applications that operate in the background no longer work such as Jan alluded to in the failure of scheduling. Blazer only compounds the problem because it is such a memory hog AND it fragments what memory is there. Finally, Blazer fails to empty itself from cache even when that cache is checked in preferences. Just is the process of playing around with it I reduced my dBcache to 128K by hitting large web pages. Bear in mind that I have nearly 30 Meg of RAM left but the total dBCache was 18 meg. This is phenomenal for a native palm application to use so much.

Unfortunately, NVFS is not perfect and in the grand scheme of things I would prefer good backups to do a good recovery from errors over the ability to schedule. It is a sad state of affairs but at least unCache gives me what I need. As Jan suggested in the Resco forums, you can add to the unCache list until you see a reset and get some idea as to the usage of cache. Earlier today, I thought I had entered an endless reset loop and that was from adding Blazer alone along with the others Dmitry had listed and Volumecare.

Regards,

Jim
    Jim,

My previous note was one of incredulity. I've twice seen it put that way, but believed it wrong. My research on other boards yesterday convinced me that this is incorrect.
    Doing "Add" in UnCache will initiate/load the app at boot time. This is the correct view.

I'm interested, however, in how UnCache compares to Rlock from Resco.

I still can't get BackupMan or RescoBackup to complete cleanly without doing a WARM reset first.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Jim,

My previous note was one of incredulity. I've twice seen it put that way, but believed it wrong. My research on other boards yesterday convinced me that this is incorrect.
    Doing "Add" in UnCache will initiate/load the app at boot time. This is the correct view.

I still can't get BackupMan or RescoBackup to complete cleanly without doing a WARM reset first.

Regards,
    Bill,

I knew what you meant because of the other information you and I have shared at the Resco forums. Add in fact does load the app at boot time after a restart and will then take up cache space. The difference with unCache and RLock is in the completeness of the lock as I understand it. Without uncache foreground applicationcalls the system to do default event processing. Within this call the system calls eventual background applications as a subroutine. Uncache prevents some but not all of the first 68K of code from loading and therefore blocks the subroutine of the background applications thus freeing up cache by not allowing it to load. It is a sort of magical slight of hand trick in that uncache lets the system call for and deliver but not load the foreground application and the background application is simply forgotten. The case that I made for Volumecare is like this. Volumecare should be a background application available to the phone application as a subroutine at all times. With unCache enabled, volumecare does NOT work and when you push on the volume side buttone you get plain vanilla Treo sound. When you add volumecare to unCache, it works all the time including the background volume slider available in the phone subroutine. Resco Locker allows for almost 100% lock of applications and is thus more complete and limits dramatically the function of both fore and background application where uncache is less limiting.

Can you tell me what applications RBackup is giving you after a failure? Are you getting shim log errors? I am also curious as to what you feel are your main background running applications. Clearly you have many things on your treo related to your IT work. You have had tons of problems with almost all the backup applications that go away after a warm reset. This still suggests something interfering with the cache and fragmenting or filling it. The only time I have come close to this scenario was yesterday when I was fiddling with OnDemand. After running it, I noted cache to fall to almost NOTHING and at one point was 18K!!!!!!!! I manually ran DBasecache tool and got a crash. After a restart there was still only 18 K left. I finally did a hard reset and restored to a time know to work and am now back to full backups. There is something very odd about the dBcache in this phone. Despite all the extra memory it still appears to be very limited in dBcache. Something about Blazer and OnDemand causes huge fills and fragmentation of the cache making the phone almost useless afterward. I have some days off coming up so am going to do some experimentation with a spare card to see where this goes.

Thanks for all your input and for helping me to understand this problem better.

Regards,

Jim
    Jim,

Regards,
    Try NVBackup. It's free, has a lot of features and it's always worked for me on the 700p even when BackupMan has failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Try NVBackup. It's free, has a lot of features and it's always worked for me on the 700p even when BackupMan has failed.
    Carl,

I will as a means of trying to troubleshoot and understand this mess. Bill, correct me if I misquote you but you had NVBackup failures as well didn't you?

Thanks,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    Carl,

I will as a means of trying to troubleshoot and understand this mess. Bill, correct me if I misquote you but you had NVBackup failures as well didn't you?

Thanks,

Jim
    Actually, I have not had problems with NVBackup, but am a little suspicious of trusting my backups to a program that is still in beta :-) I've not tried a restore using it yet.

My favorites have been BackupMan and RescoBackup. Neither will do an automated or manual backup successfully on my Treo700.

Neither UnCache nor Rlock have remedied these problems yet. BackupMan "seems" to run to completion, but does not exit at the end of 100%, requiring a soft reset, and the backup file is not successfully created.

CrashPro, curiously, reports following the BackupMan failure, that it's RescoBackup as the culprit:

Emul68KMain.c,Line:438,line 101 exception at address 7308E65A.

However, a ##744# in the phone application says that it's Zlauncher!

Back to UnCache, here's what I have selected:

2dial
    4cast
    BackupMan
    CradleCare
    Crash
    DateBk6
    Hi-Launcher
    BK LightsOff
    KeyCaps600
    LudusP
    mobileClock
    NVBackup
    PowerClip
    ProfileCare
    Quick News
    Quickword
    RBackup
    SC-HotKey
    TreoHelper
    Uninstall
    VolumeCare
    ZLauncher

By the way, this morning I deleted OnDemand, as being too large for value it delivers.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Bill,

Can you tell me what applications RBackup is giving you after a failure? Are you getting shim log errors?
    Specifically to your question, I seem to get RescoBackup errors on different files every time.

Latest was on the United Airlines schedule program:

File: EasySchedule

This does not seem to be a likely suspect, as the next time it fails with another program.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    do you guys recommend puttting web, and chatter into uncache?
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    do you guys recommend puttting web, and chatter into uncache?
    Jimmie,

Please do NOT do that as Web will NEVER unload it's cache and make it more unstable.

Regards,

Jim
    Actually, I have not had problems with NVBackup, but am a little suspicious of trusting my backups to a program that is still in beta :-) I've not tried a restore using it yet.

My favorites have been BackupMan and RescoBackup. Neither will do an automated or manual backup successfully on my Treo700.

Neither UnCache nor Rlock have remedied these problems yet. BackupMan "seems" to run to completion, but does not exit at the end of 100%, requiring a soft reset, and the backup file is not successfully created.

CrashPro, curiously, reports following the BackupMan failure, that it's RescoBackup as the culprit:
    Emul68KMain.c,Line:438,line 101 exception at address 7308E65A.
    However, a ##744# in the phone application says that it's Zlauncher!

Back to UnCache, here's what I have selected:
    2dial
    4cast
    BackupMan
    CradleCare
    Crash
    DateBk6
    Hi-Launcher
    BK LightsOff
    KeyCaps600
    LudusP
    mobileClock
    NVBackup
    PowerClip
    ProfileCare
    Quick News
    Quickword
    RBackup
    SC-HotKey
    TreoHelper
    Uninstall
    VolumeCare
    ZLauncher
    By the way, this morning I deleted OnDemand, as being too large for value it delivers.

Regards,
    Bill,

Thanks! You do have a lot of stuff in the add list. My list differs from yours in that I do NOT have either BackupMan or RescoBackup on the list at all. I do have VolumeCare and ZLauncher added to my list as well as Profilecare and the required SCHotkeys. I do not have any backup solution added to the list BECAUSE I gave up on the scheduling. For you, I am sure that scheduled backups are more of a necessity and hence you have them on the list. What would happen Bill if you deleted the backup applications from the unCache "Add" list and ran them. Will you get a completion of your backup without a reset?? I know that you will loose scheduling functionality, but that is a moot point anyway if you are doing warm resets and backing up.

You still have many applications on your add list that fill cache. My only other list addition to those I mentioned above is StopDim and the applications that Dmitry originally placed there. Are there any items on the add list that you can do without?

Over the next several days off I am going to use my T700 as a crash test dummy for your list to see if I get the same thing. Thanks for including it here. I will let you know of my results as I go along. Personally I would leave off the backup programs and see how they work for you.

I am with you on the OnDemand front brother! It appears to offer little other than the eye candy interface that cannot be gotten off Blazer with some favorite button work. What is really needed is a ROM tool to delete from ROM. Sigh! Maybe sometime in the next several months that wil come.

Regards,

Jim
    Specifically to your question, I seem to get RescoBackup errors on different files every time.

Latest was on the United Airlines schedule program:

File: EasySchedule

This does not seem to be a likely suspect, as the next time it fails with another program.
    Bill,

I think this relates to Jan's earlier post with what Resco "sees" in the foreground that is not necessarily the background application that caused the crash. In my circumstance, I was getting parts of a larger program such as the name database in Epocrates one time and then a CME program the other. I do not think that these are necessarily the culprits, more the foreground program that is running at the moment of crash. I still feel that Jan was on to something in using unCache to add programs until you get a crash.

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Carl,

I downloaded it tonight and did my first backup with it with no errors. I have yet to do a restore. I am going to play more with it over the next several days. Have you done a restore with it yet? The warnings on the install are a bit frightening to the uninformed and newbie.

Regards,

Jim
    My list differs from yours in that I do NOT have either BackupMan or RescoBackup on the list at all.
    I had included these two as they operate on timers. I figured if they weren't included they'd never start their timed backups.

Is this an incorrect assumption?
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Too much trouble to deal with uncache and rescobu. I just downloaded nvbackup and it ran without a problem. I hope it can restore, but for now this is the one I will use unles convinced otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctoss
    Too much trouble to deal with uncache and rescobu. I just downloaded nvbackup and it ran without a problem. I hope it can restore, but for now this is the one I will use unles convinced otherwise.
    Can CERTAINLY understand your frustration. Does ANYONE on this board have any good experience with the restore function on nvbackup?????
    Does ANYONE on this board have any good experience with the restore function on nvbackup?????
    Yes, see my post yesterday at: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=112521
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    How do I uninstall uncache? I tried through launcher x but it still leaves a file called UnCacheExt that I can not delete with either cleanup or filez. Any ideas?????

Please help.....
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Does the silence mean no-one knows how to remove UnCacheExt? Is the only way a hard reset?????
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    Try a warm reset and then delete it with Filez or some other file manager.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast