Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased a 700p a little while ago and my wife liked it and wanted one. I ordered her one and it came in today. Her phone is _alot_ faster than mine (out of box). I thought I noticed mine slow down after having installed 3rd party software but I thought it was just me. (Like switching from Blazer to Launch is really really slow... Hers is extremely fast)

This is the software I have installed:
    -Chattermail (not registered yet)
    -Butler (not registered yet)
    -VoiceDial (not registered yet)
    -Neatfreak (dont know how to use it)
    -Docs2Go (Update from interent)
    (I show 37 meg free on RAM space)

What should I do? Should I go a hard reset and try again? Is this slowness normal?

Even the color of her keyboard is a different color.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    From the phone application, hit Menu then the I key on both. Are they both Hardware: A?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Wow...scary, makes me think I have a slow treo...
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    I purchased a 700p a little while ago and my wife liked it and wanted one. I ordered her one and it came in today. Her phone is _alot_ faster than mine (out of box). I thought I noticed mine slow down after having installed 3rd party software but I thought it was just me. (Like switching from Blazer to Launch is really really slow... Hers is extremely fast)

This is the software I have installed:
    -Chattermail (not registered yet)
    -Butler (not registered yet)
    -VoiceDial (not registered yet)
    -Neatfreak (dont know how to use it)
    -Docs2Go (Update from interent)
    (I show 37 meg free on RAM space)

What should I do? Should I go a hard reset and try again? Is this slowness normal?

Even the color of her keyboard is a different color.
    Neat freak and Butler definitely slow down this machine. I did tests with palminternals before and after installation and found that both decrease speed scores dramatically. I really like having butler on my phone though, so I'm waiting for updates.
  5.    #5  
    No, her version is A (same as mine)
    do you have a big SD card?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  7.    #7  
    I have a 4 gig sd card and everything is on that (email, pics, mp3s, etc).. only apps are on the device.

Any idea what is taking up all of my space?

I did notice that OnDemand is HUGE and wants me to now pay for it. It can just BYTE me. I am going to remove it.
    My Treo is posting 327 tics - 3 seconds. That is the same speed as my 650.

I have not noticed any lag at all versus my 650. I am inclined to believe it is all the result of 3rd party apps that will eventually be updated.

Babel - I might be suspect of Butler. Have you run PalmInternals? Do you have any hede hooks?
    Do you have a link to palminternals?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by socomon

I have not noticed any lag at all versus my 650. I am inclined to believe it is all the result of 3rd party apps that will eventually be updated.

Babel - I might be suspect of Butler. Have you run PalmInternals? Do you have any hede hooks?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    PalmInternals is here:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/palminternals.shtml

I just downloaded it and ran it, 96 tics, 1 sec. I need to load more junk on my phone. I've also got a 4 gig card and it is slow to read and write to and I have do have long periods of a white screen going from Versamail to a web link.
    No offense, but I think that is unreasonable. Why should I have to buy new versions of or update all of my current software just because I bought a newer Treo?

What if a computer manufacturer sold you a new model computer with Windows XP service pack 2 to replace your 1.5 year old computer with Windows XP service pack 1 (older version of same model from the same manufacturer) that was supposed to be faster and better? Would you expect to have to buy new software?

Would you say it's OK if you were told that the new computer had twice as much memory as the old but you found out that while it has more memory you can't actually load programs into it without the computer crashing or slowing down dramatically?

Would you say it's OK if you were told that you couldn't run your copy of Microsoft Office 2003 without crashing and you'll have to purchase an update to Office 2007 when it comes out to fix it? And the same for the rest of you software?

Would you say it's OK if basic operations that worked on the old computer like being able to play music in the background while doing other things did not work on the new computer?

Would you say it's OK if the manufacturer choreographed and scripted reviews of the new computer told you it was faster and more stable than the previous version even when it's cleary demostrable by benchmarks that it's not?

I'm sick and tired of all these Palm apologists saying there's nothing wrong with the 700p when there clearly is. The 700p has some very serious defects that Palm either knew about or definitely should have. You expect me to believe that Palm didn't run any benchmarks or try to use the built-in music player under normal end-user conditions? If a computer manufacturer shipped a computer with these types of defects they'd be looking at a class-action lawsuit in very short order. Let's hope Palm is able to address these issues before it comes to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    No offense, but I think that is unreasonable. Why should I have to buy new versions of or update all of my current software just because I bought a newer Treo?

What if a computer manufacturer sold you a new model computer with Windows XP service pack 2 to replace your 1.5 year old computer with Windows XP service pack 1 (older version of same model from the same manufacturer) that was supposed to be faster and better? Would you expect to have to buy new software?
    Yup - that is exactly what I expect will happen when I buy windows 64 bit.

Anyhow - it's the nature of open architechture isn't it? Palm can't be responsible for everyone else's code. Palm makes the specs and hardware available to the developers - it is their responsiblity to ensure compatibility. It won't be any different under linux either. Complain to the software vendor.
    If it's too big of a hassle - buy Apple's smartphone which will run its limited offering of applications seamlessly and error-free. They do offer one - right?

As to the bundled software - I agree that should perform as advertised. So far mine seems to.
    Last edited by socomon; 06/13/2006 at 10:59 AM.

Nope. It has nothing to do with third party apps. They certainly can slow down the 700p, but the 700p benchmarks much slower than the 650 even when no software has been installed. Try running pbench and speedy and you'll find the results a bit scary.
    What does Pbench measure differently than Palm Internals?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Mine is also getting slower and slower switching between apps and phone. I figure it is a app that is causing this. When I hard reset and there is no third party apps installed, it runs normal. After I install apps it slows down again.

Here is a list of apps that I am running (internal memory only):
    Butler
    Chatteremail
    Agendus 10
    Neat Freak (uninstaller and clean up)
    Navigator (works off sd card only)
    Power Run (have not used yet, used on my 650)
    Splash ID
    TopSuDoKu
    PXA Clocker (tried to see if that would help, does not seem too work very well, crashes alot)

I been uninstalling each app one at a time to find the culprit. Have not found it yet.
    I would imagine Chatteremail will slow the Treo down a little bit as well. Doesn't it poll the email server for email all the time.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire
    I would imagine Chatteremail will slow the Treo down a little bit as well. Doesn't it poll the email server for email all the time.
    Yes it does, I had it running on my 650 and there were no lags. To think about it...I had all the apps I listed (plus others that I don't need for the 700) and there was no lag.
    I can't imagine it's Chatter. Listen, I had the same experience with the Neatfreak pack and Butler. I deleted Neatfreak and still had issues. I LOVED Initiate (also made my Hobbyist Software -- same guy who makes Butler) but man, the whole phone slowed down and weird things would often happen. Listen -- it's a Palm OS. Backup, delete Neatfreak and Butler and test for a few days. If it's the same, just re-sync and tell your pc to override the phone. Easy to test.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    I can't imagine it's Chatter. Listen, I had the same experience with the Neatfreak pack and Butler. I deleted Neatfreak and still had issues. I LOVED Initiate (also made my Hobbyist Software -- same guy who makes Butler) but man, the whole phone slowed down and weird things would often happen. Listen -- it's a Palm OS. Backup, delete Neatfreak and Butler and test for a few days. If it's the same, just re-sync and tell your pc to override the phone. Easy to test.
    I agree it must be the OS or new hardware, like I mentioned before these problems did not occur on my 650.

Question...how do you tell your pc to override the phone? Why?

Thanks
    Yup - that is exactly what I expect will happen when I buy windows 64 bit.

Anyhow - it's the nature of open architechture isn't it? Palm can't be responsible for everyone else's code. Palm makes the specs and hardware available to the developers - it is their responsiblity to ensure compatibility. It won't be any different under linux either. Complain to the software vendor.
    If it's too big of a hassle - buy Apple's smartphone which will run its limited offering of applications seamlessly and error-free. They do offer one - right?

As to the bundled software - I agree that should perform as advertised. So far mine seems to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast