1.    #1  
    For anyone who upgraded from 650 to 700p, I've been considering upgrading my 650 to a 700p. Lots of comments about the handheld being slower, people not liking the new buttons, etc. It seems many are happy overall with the 700p, but I'm interested in feedback on the following...

Assume you are going to be using a Treo because you like the form factor much more than any other Palm device AND you are going to stay with Palm OS... is the 650 to 700p upgrade worthwhile just on the PDA features alone (ie; assume you will NOT be using wireless features... phone, web, email, SMS)? I'm leaning toward NO for some of the above reasons and the fact that folks are complaining of slow downs when you start to fill up the RAM, skipping when playing MP3s, etc. But, I'm very interested if anyone is willing to share an opinion based on their experiences. Thanks in advance for feedback.
    If you don't need Ev-DO, there's really not much on the 700p that warrants the upgrade from a 650 (unless you can get it cheap or you have money to burn). They're pretty much the same as functionality goes, the 700p just has a few extra features in there that make the experience a bit better.
    I agree. I had no intention of upgrading until I got such a good deal I felt I couldn't pass it up.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    The 700p is slower that the 650, but It's not that big of deal to me. I am confident that Palm will correct this with their next firmware update. However, the functionality of PDA functions alone would not make me upgrade from a 650 to a 700.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    If you don't need Ev-DO, there's really not much on the 700p that warrants the upgrade from a 650 (unless you can get it cheap or you have money to burn). They're pretty much the same as functionality goes, the 700p just has a few extra features in there that make the experience a bit better.
    Trevante, can you mention the extra features that make the experience better for you personally? Also, I've read lots of posts about the speed issue... anyone gotten to the bottom of this or is it still an Unsolved Mystery!?!?
    I have both and find the speed difference (launching apps) to be negligible. Compared with EVDO, the extra RAM and dbcache, the upgrade was worthwhile for me.

Regarding PDA features alone, they are totally the same if you don't take into account the extra stability provided by the additional dbcache. Taken on a whole, I think it's a good upgrade. Given the caveats you mentioned though, it's probably not worthwhile.
    Don't trust those who say it isn't worth it. Treo700p is awesome, so much faster than 650, plus it has much more RAM and accepts 4 GB SD cards. Mapping software is finally functional and fun to use.

To be fair, my first week with 700p was also not without frustrations. The device was slow after I loaded it up with all my old software. Some of it caused crushes, so I spent few days figuring out the worst offenders. Then I performed hard-reset and loaded only "clean" software, and now it runs great. How could we live without EvDO? Live streaming over the internet - you can listen to the radio. And the Web browser - without EvDO it is almost useless. On Treo700 you can browse in full graphic mode - download complex pages in few seconds.

Go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by komich
    Don't trust those who say it isn't worth it. Treo700p is awesome, so much faster than 650,

Go for it.

this is completely false. even with no added programs my 700p is noticalbly slower. I think aside from evdo, the 700p is not worth paying any extra money for. just keep your treo 650 if you dont need evdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    I would rephrase this to say, "if you don't have EVDO in your area". Who doesn't NEED to be able to accept incoming calls while you have an active data session? Must be those that are using the device on the data network? I think those people still carry their Palm V and not the Treo.
    The 700p is slower than the 650. Anyone who says differently has been smoking something. It does have more RAM though and EVDO is nice, though not all that great since java still doesn't work with Blazer.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstorm92
    this is completely false. even with no added programs my 700p is noticalbly slower. I think aside from evdo, the 700p is not worth paying any extra money for. just keep your treo 650 if you dont need evdo
    coolstorm, you have NO third party software and your 700p is slower? That does sound unpleasant... having a newer model be slower than the one it replaced. Did you bring over the old Saved Preferences and Unsaved Preferences files from your 650?
  12.    #12  
    Also, since people have been kind enough to chime with their experiences... anyone have experiences with video playback on TCPMP, MMPlayer or other? I've seen reports of mp3 playback skipping in PTunes and others, but may have missed the threads on video playback. If anyone cares to share, I'd appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    coolstorm, you have NO third party software and your 700p is slower? That does sound unpleasant... having a newer model be slower than the one it replaced. Did you bring over the old Saved Preferences and Unsaved Preferences files from your 650?
    Everyone's 700p is slower than the 650, that's just the way it is. Even after a hard reset and no hotsyncs, the 700p benchmarks much slower than the 650.

Third party apps, saved preferences, etc doesn't make a difference.
    I have found that ptunes skips when Chatter is running in the background. As soon as I shut down Chatter, ptunes no longer skips. YMMV
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    The 700p is slower that the 650, but It's not that big of deal to me. I am confident that Palm will correct this with their next firmware update. However, the functionality of PDA functions alone would not make me upgrade from a 650 to a 700.
    I concur.
    Why upgrade?

1. 1.3 megapixel camera that actually takes decent pictures (the 650's photos are novel, but hardly usable)

2. More memory -- from 23MB to 60MB, that's a big difference, effectively the difference between having to manage your onboard memory and not; simply put, I can put more applications on the 700p

3. Broadband -- if your area has access to it, broadband is a fantastic experience

4. Voice memo -- I don't use it that much, but enough to want it

As for speed, I have not experienced any lag on my primary applications, and on the others, it is not frequent. As for button placement, one word: LudusP (problem solved--three buttons reassigned for me).

As regards the screen, I can't find any difference really between the 650 and the 700.

As regards the new keyboard, I've not noticed a difference there either -- then again, I enter most of my data on the desktop application.

You could wait till the next Treo is released. I skipped the 600. But I couldn't skip over the 700p. It is mainly, an improvement over the 650, not really a new invention (sort of like the Vx over the V, which I bought only months after buying the V!). That said, I wished I had skipped the 650 -- OK, I did get a good deal ($250) -- but I was given to understand from Verizon salesmen that the 650 would get broadband access. Basically, they lied or had bad information. Oh, well. That said, I found the 650 to be useful, and the 700p is proving itself more useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    I've seen reports of mp3 playback skipping in PTunes and others, but may have missed the threads on video playback. If anyone cares to share, I'd appreciate it.
    I've had my 700p crash when using the embedded pTunes. I brought the pTunes Deluxe I already had on my 650 and it works fine. I've played some of my DVD's with TCPMP with no trouble at all.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher