Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I read about this cool ringtone inauble by adults over 30... I wanted to try it and see if I can hear it..
    I have a feeling this was a joke and somehow it took hold.
    Found the file attached to a news article

Warning: I can hear it as a very annoying high pitched squeal... and I'm 50. So YMMV.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I'm 42 and can't hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    Warning: I can hear it as a very annoying high pitched squeal... and I'm 50. So YMMV.
    A couple of my co-workers about my age cannot hear it. However, I'm around 40 and can hear it too. Caveat emptor.

A cool application of this would be the case where your spouse cannot hear it and you can. You could set up an alarm clock with that tone that would wake you up while letting your spouse get some extra sleep.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Just tried the ringtone on my treo...didnt play very well...kind of a low pitch with a high pitch behind it. But on my desktop...i couldn't hear a thing but people all around me started screaming...what is that sound. I replied a dog whistle not get back to work you dogs.

BenJoe (true story)
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
    There's an article in the New York Times on this Ringtone. The reason most adults can't hear it is they have lost (due to age) the ability to hear the higher sound range. It was orginally designed to affect teenager in England (so they would not gather around businesses - why is another story), the kid however turned it around and use it so that adults don't hear their phone when they ring in class. Unfortunately for them, some adults can still hear in the higher range.
    Wtf????????
    Try this one...

I think it's a purer tone. (although I can only hear it from very close by)
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Hmmmm, I'm closing in on 37 and am tone deft from years of shooting but I can still here this.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    Try this one...

I think it's a purer tone. (although I can only hear it from very close by)
    Thanks!! I can hear it.. I guess I need a Midi to use it as a ringtone...
    or a wav...
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I am 38 (shh) and can hear it, despite many years of dating lead singers and shooting (not the lead singers).
    It's friggin' annoying!
    M100, M515, Tungsten E, Treo 600, Treo 650 unlocked GSM; SW 1.20 ENA; FW 1.71 (T-mobile)
    just turned 45 and years of bartending in LOUD clubs. I can clearly hear Teenbuzz but not the mesquito.
    I'm 46 with severe hearing loss and can't hear any of three files. HOWEVER, I teach high school and have just started summer school so we'll see if my kiddos can hear them tomorrow. I have a captive sample size of about 25.
    I can't hear the Mosquito Ringtone but can hear Teenbuzz,barely.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Just tried the ringtone on my treo...didnt play very well...kind of a low pitch with a high pitch behind it. But on my desktop...i couldn't hear a thing but people all around me started screaming...what is that sound. I replied a dog whistle not get back to work you dogs.

BenJoe (true story)
    That is hilarious.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Damn, I work around jet engines and they hurt my ears. I definetly can hear them.
    Devices Owned:
    Handspring 600 (retired), Treo 650 x2 (retired), Centro x2 (offline usage), Palm Pre x2, HTC EVO

Apps I can't live without on my Pre:
    Dr. Podder, Music (Remix) and JogStats
    I hear them both....and i'm 33.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I took all three files to school. None of us could hear the first too, and even I heard the teenbuzz, but it was faint. The kids did NOT like that. My students range in 14-18.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast