Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried this cable yet? I am hoping to connect my treo650 into the serial ports of my switches and servers at work to run a vt100 emulator.

http://www.pcables.com/cat2.html

thanks,
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    What's a VT100 emulator?
    Yes, i got mine last week, it works great, kind of expensive.

Paul
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    a VT100 is a old school serial connected terminal. (Well, not as old school at a vt52 or a wyse, but i digest) Before the days of abundant (smart) PC's and the like, you would have a monitor with a keyboard that would connect into your server with a serial cable. As tcp/ip took off as a connection method, the serial connection for the majority of the terminals went by the wayside. However, it is still the way to connect to the console of servers. This also works for switches, port replicators, etc.

more then you wished to know, yes?
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phawk
    Yes, i got mine last week, it works great, kind of expensive.

Paul

Great to hear. What can you just use one of the older vt100 emulators from the days of serial connect palms, or is there a new treo specific emulator i need to look for?

thanks again,
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    You could use TriConnect and a bluetooth-to-serial adapter for the server. Of course you'd have to rely on BT security (or make sure your TS has adequate access control). Alternatively look for a used Cisco modem pool server and make the console available via telnet. Cable is still the most secure though.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    i work in secure locations with no outside addressable ip. after my vt100 via serial cable, i'll be trying to figure a way to use VNC on the palm via cable connection rather then wireless tcp/ip
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx