1.    #1  
    I've recently bought a cheap Treo 600 (looks like new, not a mark on it). I'd like to play MP3s on it and get the calls to route to a stereo headphone set, and of course auto-answer calls... so all I have to do is download Freedom and get myself a headphone adaptor/mic combo, right?

Wrong.

I bought a headphone adaptor/mic combo (branded "Langston"), that takes any 3.5mm stereo mini-jack. This alone should work, but it appears not to. I read somewhere about hearing the sound if you push the call answer button - great, this works, but I can't walk around holding the button down all the time.

So, I downloaded Freedom. This seems to be a bit hit and miss, but here are the results I get with various headphone/output combinations:

Sanyo 3.5mm mini-phones (came with minidisc player): awful stereo*, ok mono.

Sony 3.5mm mini-phones (came with Sony W800i mobile phone): same as above.

Philips full size headphones with 5mm to 3.5mm jack adaptor: same as above.

Sony powered speakers, via 3.5mm/phono cable: stereo and mono ok.

JVC hifi, via 3.5mm/phono cable: no output at all (suggests I'm doing something wrong).

Apple PowerBook microphone input, via 3.5mm mini-jack cable: records stereo without problems (or at least seems to).

* Awful stereo: this may make sense only to those of you with some audiophile background; what it sounds like to me is that the earphones are somehow out of phase and all you are getting is the "difference" between the two channels. ie all the bass is gone, there's a little vocal and a little guitar - both of these with a lot of reverb.

My question is: am I likely to be able to cure these problems by buying the Seido headset combo and are these common Treo 600 problems?

The really odd thing here seems to be that headphones have the problem, but other audio devices may not, and that if you hold down the call button the headphones all work as expected.

TIA
    Very few stereo headset/mic combos work with the 600. It is very common for a stereo headset to NOT work because it doesn't insert all the way into the plug - this forum is full of threads that 'shave' or modify the male plug to make them work. Buy a headset made specifically for the 600 so you would not have to fix it. Goood luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm kind of wondering why there's such inconsistency in the results - ie headphones don't work, line output usually does?

The supplied mono headset seems to work fine - the mini-jack on this appears to be identical in dimensions to the adaptor I have (which was described as being for the 600), except for the additional barrel.

If anyone has suggestions for adaptors/mic combos that they know work, I'd be happy to try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by clive

My question is: am I likely to be able to cure these problems by buying the Seido headset combo and are these common Treo 600 problems?

The really odd thing here seems to be that headphones have the problem, but other audio devices may not, and that if you hold down the call button the headphones all work as expected.

TIA
    I bought the seido headset and I found the same problem. Holding down the button makes it work, but the button doesn't work as a call pickup.
    I fear the 600 is wired completely different and there may not be a solution. As for me, one o othose big black paper clips does the trick for now. I had half a mind to re-wire the headset, but it's awefully tiny inside and I have no schematic to go by.
  5.    #5  
    If anyone knows the schematics I'd take a hit at rewiring the adaptor combo I have - but given that it does work with some devices I think that's unlikely to yield results. The only thing I can think of is difference in resistance between the devices - but surely all headphones are going to be around the same range here?