Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    After having to do a hard reset & restore from a hot sync on my PC the next day - I now have NVBackup on my Treo650. It's in memory & on my 1gig SD card. I have done a new backup. Can somebody tell me exactly what I would need to do if I had to do a hard reset again & use this program to restore? Do I try to launch the program from the card? I also notice I have those text files in my Docs to Go list of files - but that doesn't bother me if they're supposed to go there. I'd just like to know exactly what I'd need to do, before I'm in a panic! After a hard reset, is NVBackup still on the SD card?! Thx for any help!
    Great question Julie, I was wondering the same thing. Another thing I would like to know is with NVbackup do you need a program to do a soft reset every now and then? After reading through the responses it sounds like you may need a program to soft reset for other backup programs, but not for NVbackup. Is this correct?
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedsHelp
    Great question Julie, I was wondering the same thing. Another thing I would like to know is with NVbackup do you need a program to do a soft reset every now and then? After reading through the responses it sounds like you may need a program to soft reset for other backup programs, but not for NVbackup. Is this correct?
    You do not need a program to soft reset after NVBackup scheduled or manual backups, it does not eat up dbcache. It does however have an option to automatically soft reset after a backup if you decide that's what you want to do.
    Thanks for the quick response albertb! What is the benefit of a soft reset after a scheduled backup with NVbackup? Are scheduled daily backups ideal or am I better off manually doing a backup once a week? I am getting ready to install NVbackup today so any advice or help is truely apprecitated.
    Resco Backup has a new release today, v 1.40.6, it addresses these issues. Ben
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedsHelp
    Thanks for the quick response albertb! What is the benefit of a soft reset after a scheduled backup with NVbackup? Are scheduled daily backups ideal or am I better off manually doing a backup once a week? I am getting ready to install NVbackup today so any advice or help is truely apprecitated.
    I'm not sure of a particular benefit of doing a soft reset with NVBackup, I think it's just an option listed. Some people prefer to soft reset every morning because their phone will run faster and this is one way of automating it.

I have scheduled backups every night at 4:30am. Your best bet is to set nightly backups and leave at least 2 sets on the card, that way if you lose something or delete something by mistake, you can restore a copy of it from the previous night. I deleted an address book entry, was nowhere near my computer to get the entry from there, so I restored the previous nights address database file. I think once a week is too far, because if something happens to your treo, you can lose up to 6 days of new appointments and entries. Of course in the end it is personal preference.
    Once a week backups? No, nightly. I keep six backups on the card. Ben
    About those files that show up in Docs to Go - the log files - %%Comment & %% log - since I've run 2 backups so far, I have 2 of each - do I need to keep those files - the Log ones have a bunch of text - basically everything it ran thru backing up I guess. Just wondering if I need to keep those - kind of clutters up my documents that I already have there - but if the are necessary, they'll stay!
    That is a question I cannot answer. I have them also.

In the for what it is worth area, last night I was playing with a utility that removes "unnecessary" font definitions from files. Upon completion I found one program that did not display correctly. I deleted the application and reinstalled it from a backup file and it worked fine. I then checked another application, HanDBase, and the focus around the buttons was rather unusual - the focus ring was around two buttons at a time instead of one button at a time. Deletion, reset and reinstall of that file and it still did not work right. I did a hard reset and restore with Resco Backup and still the problem. I did another hard reset and restore with BackupManager and it worked right.

Oh, gosh.
    Ben
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123