Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit2
    Hi Pruss! I also post in the brighthand.
    just installed it last night did test on the following:

1) manual backup
    2) delete my password db and restore
    3) scheduled backup ( Preferences -> check box Daily backup)

did not do a hard reset, because I did not feel confortable... doing the hard reset... yet

great work!
    Might be good to look at the backup set on the SD and see if it's the right size, and whether it looks like it has all the databases. The names are encoded by replacing special characters with %xx (where xx is the hex code), and then appending _ and an 8-digit hex number (which controls the capitalization--it's Palm's solution to a bug on the T5 where you couldn't have two databases whose names differed only in capitalization).
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    As I've mentioned, I use RBackup. Although there are the issues with dbCache as noted, scheduled incremental backups have been going fine (every 6 hours), AND I've tested a full restore after hard reset, with perfect results.

I don't understand how folks can talk about various backup solutions as "working" without seeing that the RESTORE function (after hard reset) works correctly. That's the bottom line and ultimately, the number 1 issue is whether the restore is reliable.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    As I've mentioned, I use RBackup. Although there are the issues with dbCache as noted, scheduled incremental backups have been going fine (every 6 hours), AND I've tested a full restore after hard reset, with perfect results.

I don't understand how folks can talk about various backup solutions as "working" without seeing that the RESTORE function (after hard reset) works correctly. That's the bottom line and ultimately, the number 1 issue is whether the restore is reliable.
    Well, someone has tested restoring one database, and it's been heavily tested on other devices. There shouldn't be a difference between restoring one and restoring many, I think. Moreover, I just tried it on the Simulator.

And I am giving a free reg code to FontSmoother to the first two people who do a full test of NVBackup (backup, change a lot of stuff or hard reset, restore). (Post here, and then email arpruss at gmail dot com to claim.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    I needed to re-enter registration keys for Agendus Standard, Resco Backup, Warden (from Corsoft), and Uninstaller (from Northglide).
    Thanks, at least the problem with our own registration can be investigated in every detail.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pruss
    Well, someone has tested restoring one database, and it's been heavily tested on other devices. There shouldn't be a difference between restoring one and restoring many, I think. Moreover, I just tried it on the Simulator.
    I have done a full restore using NVBackup on my Sprint Treo 700p. I did this with version 1.10 of NVBackup several weeks ago. I posted my results on Brighthand. Basically, the restore went just fine (in fact I think my 700 ran faster after the restore....). The only things that did NOT get restored were the pictures I had taken with the camera and stored internally. Everything else (including registration keys) restored just fine!
    Quote Originally Posted by pruss

And I am giving a free reg code to FontSmoother to the first two people who do a full test of NVBackup (backup, change a lot of stuff or hard reset, restore). (Post here, and then email arpruss at gmail dot com to claim.)

Been there... done that! Full NVBackup, hard reset, full restore. It all came back just dandy (with the exception of pictures, as has been mentioned before)!

I also use Resco Backup daily on my 650 and would switch completely if it were not for some issues remaining with screen locking and stalled applications on the 650.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    I also use Resco Backup daily on my 650 and would switch completely if it were not for some issues remaining with screen locking and stalled applications on the 650.
    Do you want to explain what you mean by screen locking and stalled applications? Is it the backup hanging up on a file?
    I'll run it again tonight to be sure, but I have screen lock on and several programs update in the background without difficulty (4cast, Chatter, etc.) Seems like at least one app sticks the treo, waiting for me to press an acknowledgement, which causes the backup to stall until I get up and clear the pop-up.

Like I said, I'll rerun tonight and take 'better' notes... It's likely an odd interaction, and possibly not anything directly to do with NVbackup.
    Here's a few problems that I ran into with NVBackup and I really hope that I can get them figured out. First, after I tried NVBackup I had several wierd documents in my Docs to Go files on my card; couldn't open them. Is it normal for NVBackup to create documents? I too had the issues with my Treo650 locking up after the backup. Is soft reset supposed to fix that or a warm reset (btw, what is a warm reset?)?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Riding the Tucson roads & trails
    My NVBackup doesn't create any documents in my Docs to Go. where did you download the NVBackup is it the latest version.. 1.12?

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonDave
    Here's a few problems that I ran into with NVBackup and I really hope that I can get them figured out. First, after I tried NVBackup I had several wierd documents in my Docs to Go files on my card; couldn't open them. Is it normal for NVBackup to create documents? I too had the issues with my Treo650 locking up after the backup. Is soft reset supposed to fix that or a warm reset (btw, what is a warm reset?)?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
    justdoit2,
    I've version 1.12 that I downloaded from the developers site. I re-installed NVbackup, did a manual backup and now have 2 files in my Docs 2 Go- %%comment and %%log. They are both text files. At least this time I can open them. Maybe I won't get the other problems this time. I'm thinking of just doing a manual backup every week or so. Do you think that I might be able to avoid the bdcache problems by doing this?
    Thanks,
    Dave
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonDave
    I'm thinking of just doing a manual backup every week or so. Do you think that I might be able to avoid the bdcache problems by doing this?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    With NVBackup, there is NO dbcache issue.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Docs2go searches the whole card for any documents it can read. It can read NVBackup's log and comment files, so it lists them.

The freeze afterwards is more serious. Does it happen always?
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    The latest ROM updates for T650 makes dbcache a non-issue. The OS frees up the dbcache as needed.

Doesn't T700p manage the dbcache any better? Who cares if dbcache drops if the next application opens up just fine?
    Tom Tom doesn't open after running Rescoe backup on my 700p
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I use resco backup 4 times/ day, and use tomtom without problem on my 700P, so it's likely an issue on your 700p as opposed to the apps themselves....
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janos
    Statement from Palm developer guru Ben Combee:
    "... the format can and will change from OS release to OS release, so it's best not to touch them.
    Does this include firmware updates?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    pruss,
    Thanks for the reply. After I reinstalled NVBackup I still get the log & comments file in Doc 2 Go. However, it's been stable so far. I'm hoping it will work when needed. I'm just a little scared to intentionally do hard reset to try it. Should I test the program?
    Thanks,
    Dave

PS: Thanks for the time in creating NVBackup!
    I have at least 6 different RBackup projects on my Sprint Treo 650. I have restored them all from a hard reset without missing a beat, file, or reg code. I have not tried NVBackup to date.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    I have not tried NVBackup to date.
    Around a month and a half back I had the misfortune of having to do a hard reset. Before the reset, I had the good sense to back-up using NVBackup and the subsequent restore was perfect! NO problems with any of my programs etc... In fact I spent the next few days trying to figure out if there were any problems (there were none.)

- mvk
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    I'll run it again tonight to be sure, but I have screen lock on and several programs update in the background without difficulty (4cast, Chatter, etc.) Seems like at least one app sticks the treo, waiting for me to press an acknowledgement, which causes the backup to stall until I get up and clear the pop-up.

Like I said, I'll rerun tonight and take 'better' notes... It's likely an odd interaction, and possibly not anything directly to do with NVbackup.
    I've been running NVbackup nightly now for quite a with without any trouble. I do get the log and comment files but do not see this as a negative.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast