Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Most of you including myself who upgraded to the new Treo 700p are very frustrated with Verichat not working properly. Well, it sucks when your daily use program stops working and there is nothing else that can replace it. But why is that it is really hard to replace Verichat for something else when there are many other IM applications that can do the same thing? The reason that all of these applications fail on providing the number one reason why we use the Palm OS: Simplicity and Availabilty.

Let me start with Mundu:
    Mundu has a very neat interface. The colors are very appealing and it looks very fancy. However, it is not easy to navigate from the main window to the chatting ones. Once you are on the chatting window there is a significally waste of space on the left side of the window (What's up with that?). It does look nice, but the Treo screen is just too small to waste space on that.
    However, the main problem with Mundu is that there is no way you can see a single window with only your buddies that are online regardless of their type. I like the grouping views but that DOES NOT GIVE US INSTANT AVIALABILITY.
    Other, issues are: it has problems connecting and it doesn't suppport file sharing.

Causerie: It gets really close to Verichat, but not there yet. It fails on the same main principal as Mundu: there is no way you can see a single window with only your buddies that are online regardless of their type. I like the grouping views but that DOES NOT GIVE US INSTANT AVIALABILITY.

Is it too much to ask??? I just want to see all my buddies that are online listed one after the other and that's it, which is what Verichat does and also the main reason why I just can't leave them for anything else.

Al
    Al - Totally agree. The buddylist views are dealbreakers for me. Toccer isn't fancy at all, but it does give you that view (only works for AIM, however). Major downside there is that you can't reply to an IM received while in another app--you have to go back into Toccer.

I just wish they'd fix Verichat!
    The two things that are really against both Verichat and Causerie though are that they both use 3rd party server connections, and that they are both subsription based. Those are two really negative points about both those apps. In constrast there are various alternatives some free that do not have these limitations...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=50

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    Well, I don't mind paying for service if I'm going to get exactly what I need. Verichat yearly service fee is not too bad, maybe a little high, but I can live with it if it was more reliable. Now, Mundu and Causerie while they get close to what PDAapps have accomplished they are still a few miles away from having competitive product.

Al
    Causerie has a display option which shows all your online buddies regardless of protocol. I am looking at it now. It shows my AIM buddies followed by my MSN buddies, followed by my Y! buddies.

It also doesn't reset my treo 650 3 times a day like Verichat did (does).

I _would_ like file sharing and better tracking of online status with Causerie though.
  6.    #6  
    Jaytee,

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.pdaapps.com/images/verichat_colors2.gif

I know you can make Causerie show only your ONLINE buddies, but the view is in a Tree/Group format. So if you have a lot of groups it looks really bad on the Treo. On my PC grouping works fine because I have the space, but on the Treo it is a bad idea.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    Causerie has a display option which shows all your online buddies regardless of protocol. I am looking at it now. It shows my AIM buddies followed by my MSN buddies, followed by my Y! buddies.

It also doesn't reset my treo 650 3 times a day like Verichat did (does).

I _would_ like file sharing and better tracking of online status with Causerie though.
  7.    #7  
    Could any of the mods enable image display on my last post? for this link:

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Jaytee,

This is what I'm talking about:

I know you can make Causerie show only your ONLINE buddies, but the view is in a Tree/Group format. So if you have a lot of groups it looks really bad on the Treo. On my PC grouping works fine because I have the space, but on the Treo it is a bad idea.

Al
    On Causerie, you can assign users to a "favorites" group (which could conceiveably show all your buddies). This pseudo-group is shown first, and ,in that grouping, all protocols are shown.

I have created a similar grouping for use in other chat clients 'a-group', which will also show up before other groupings because I liked this feature so much.
    Treolo: Thanks for your comparison.

Though we are missing online view that you are looking for, we feel that we are not "not matched" in the competition.

Security is a deal broker for 99% of the organizations. Only Causerie supports Encryption of your messages and IMs. Ever wonder, who is tracing your password. If you are like me, I do have a common password [twisted a little depending on requirements] on websites.

Bots
    were first brought to mobile world by Causerie. Few followed and few did not. We do have pretty good bots and are being very responsive to events. For eg: we now have a FIFA bot giving real time scores.

UI - I am sure, few will join, Causerie is definitely superior to any of the products available in user interface. Yes, we lack the view that you are looking for. We have that feature in next version if we see the same concern from many users. We have many more UI features - sliding tool bar, better space utilization, group views, better popups, custom fonts, skins etc. etc.

Always On: I am sure competitors do this too but not sure to what extend. We truly support always on. Keep your device for 4 days without battery and turn ont he phone, Causerie will try to reconnect automatically. We are reset free with the latest version

Online Archiving: We are soon coming up with online archiving feature which will give you a complete log of your conversation online. This is an optional feature.

International Characters Support: We support Chinese, Japenese native fonts etc. while no one else does.

VoIP compatibility
    - We have a VoIP application and soon you would see a blend of both the technologies in one application.

Many of the new features are suggested by current Causerie users and we have added them to our roadmap and executed them.

We are currently working on server scalability, status updates in SMS and 700p compatibility. HTH
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    On Causerie, you can assign users to a "favorites" group (which could conceiveably show all your buddies). This pseudo-group is shown first, and ,in that grouping, all protocols are shown.

I have created a similar grouping for use in other chat clients 'a-group', which will also show up before other groupings because I liked this feature so much.
    So technically you found a workaround fix for a feature that Causerie is missing. So how long does it take to make all your buddies be on your favorites? Is there a select all buddies option or is it a one by one select process??

Causerie,
    I think once again we are seeing users asking for this feature. I don't think it is just me who think it is a must have view. Please... please add it.

Also, I didn't see you mentioning anything about File Transfering options or chat conference group from within Causerie.

Thanks,

Al
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    In fact, I just wrote Verichat to cancel my subscription. I can't stand the constant resets or the total inability to use SMS mode. It was worthless on my Treo 650. I too would really would like to see the online grouping with Causerie, if possible. It does seem to be a drawback.
    So technically you found a workaround fix for a feature that Causerie is missing. So how long does it take to make all your buddies be on your favorites? Is there a select all buddies option or is it a one by one select process??

Causerie,
    I think once again we are seeing users asking for this feature. I don't think it is just me who think it is a must have view. Please... please add it.

Also, I didn't see you mentioning anything about File Transfering options or chat conference group from within Causerie.

Thanks,

Al

Hmmm... I'm not sure that I would characterize the Favorites group as a workaround fix. Rather, it is a more specific way for me to see which of my most viewed buddies are online. I would rather NOT see all 25 currently online buddies from AIM, MSN, Y!.. just those that are my favorite and most talked to people. Can I do that in verichat without hacking up a new group (like my 'a-group', mentioned earlier)?

File transfer and chat conferencing would be mightly nice, I agree!
  13.    #13  
    Is it just me or Causerie has a long lag when you enter/exit the program?

Al

Al
    I'm seeing:
    about 3 seconds leaving and about one and a half seconds entering....

data mode.. always on

(usually I put up the confirm when exiting screen so I can restart if the dreaded 'not red X' symptom occurs though)
    Causerie,
    Sure, I have added that suggestion and it would be in the roadmap.

We support one way file transfers on networks like AIM and MSN.
    Conference - we support it one way from MSN and Yahoo users.

Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by causerie
    Sure, I have added that suggestion and it would be in the roadmap.

We support one way file transfers on networks like AIM and MSN.
    Conference - we support it one way from MSN and Yahoo users.

Hope this helps
    Yup... it (file transfer) was there, I just forgot about it.

Al
    If you are using 700p, the lag is NOW fixed in the startup. We have active discussion going on here - http://mantragroup.com/forums/showth...=1241#post1241
    Last edited by causerie; 06/15/2006 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Changed not to now
    Quote Originally Posted by causerie
    If you are using 700p, the lag is not fixed in the startup. We have active discussion going on here - http://mantragroup.com/forums/showth...=1241#post1241
    I think you meant "now" fixed, not "not" right?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I think you meant "now" fixed, not "not" right?
    Yep, edited. Thanks.
    You know what I LIKE about Causerie (being a paid Verichat customer who is now trialing Causerie)? It works and they are responsive. They actually listen to customers, make improvements, and post on this board. When was the last Verichat update? When was the last piece of meaningful communication? I get the whole "it's not stated to be compatible with the 700" argument but come on. I'll put my money with the company that seems to care about its customer base - old and new.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast