Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I saw a mention of Causerie having an annual cost, but their site only mentions the cost of the app itself ($20 for the standard version, $30 for the premier). Is there an annual cost as well?

And what's the best free app out there that doesn't use SMS and has a decent UI? I have a need to chat with only my wife, so I don't need tons of support for various protocols or multiple buddy list groupings, etc. I don't mind setting up a new account for a specific IM protocol (e.g., Yahoo, MSN, etc.) if one of the single-protocol apps has an especially good UI.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I saw a mention of Causerie having an annual cost, but their site only mentions the cost of the app itself ($20 for the standard version, $30 for the premier). Is there an annual cost as well?
    That is the annual cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    And what's the best free app out there that doesn't use SMS and has a decent UI? I have a need to chat with only my wife, so I don't need tons of support for various protocols or multiple buddy list groupings, etc. I don't mind setting up a new account for a specific IM protocol (e.g., Yahoo, MSN, etc.) if one of the single-protocol apps has an especially good UI.
    Toccer might be your best bet on AIM
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    That is the annual cost.
    Really? That seems like deceptive advertising. I even clicked on the link to buy it and didn't see any fine print stating that it was an annual cost.

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Toccer might be your best bet on AIM
    Thanks! I'll look into that one.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I want to voice my STRONG support for the 'Online' buddies view -- I hope others will directly state if it's important to them. I bought Causerie when it first came out, but only use Verichat b/c of that view. I haven't looked at it lately, and I like supporting developers who respond to their customers, so maybe the next time my renewal comes up, I'll join in. The odds are I will, even tho I still have the 650, pdaapps has lost a lot of credibility for what they've done to their 700p users.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    I want to voice my STRONG support for the 'Online' buddies view -- I hope others will directly state if it's important to them. I bought Causerie when it first came out, but only use Verichat b/c of that view. I haven't looked at it lately, and I like supporting developers who respond to their customers, so maybe the next time my renewal comes up, I'll join in. The odds are I will, even tho I still have the 650, pdaapps has lost a lot of credibility for what they've done to their 700p users.
    Uh, they added it in a few weeks back in the latest betas

http://www.mantragroup.com/downloads...ie-3.2.4ze.prc

6.    #46  
    I have read about it, but I have not giving it another try because I have already installed Causerie 3 times and I could not get use to it. So can anybody post a screeshot of what the Online Buddies view look like? Meaning all Online buddies from all different services in one single view.

Thanks,

Al
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Is it just me or Causerie has a long lag when you enter/exit the program?

Al
    Nope, I have got it too, on my 700P. The demo worked pretty good on my 650, but I stayed w/ Verichat till the end of my annual pass. Well I transferred my un/Saved preferences over to the 700P from the 650. well wouldn't you know I could not get a demo going on the 700, due to said carry over. Well I bought Causerie outright, and let me tell you the lag is incredible on the 700P! Whoops. 17+ secs to exit.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by causerie
    If you are using 700p, the lag is NOW fixed in the startup. We have active discussion going on here - http://mantragroup.com/forums/showth...=1241#post1241
    Why is it then, on the mantragroup board they say:

"support

1. The new NVFS makes it slow as it copies from cache to the database and we maintain the state in the database. If you have huge buddy list or have lot of accounts or have enabled logging, you will see a delay while exiting.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do for 700p which is designed in that way. We have drastically cut down the time on 700p from 1-2 mins to around 12 secs writing everything in one shot to NVFS. "

I've been complaining about this for a while and they seemed to have fixed it for a short while, but it's now slow as ever again, switching to the phone/background mode, and then we get this message. Very disappointing.
    anyone try/have it?
    I've not looked at any of these. How does Chatopus compare? I saw you can use it with Google Talk, which the others don't seem to be able to use. Interface looks simple and streamlined... and no subscription.
    Causerie supports Jabber so support Gtalk

Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Is it just me or Causerie has a long lag when you enter/exit the program?

Al
    me too drives me nuts - a full 5-6 secs just to exit! That alone will not make me buy it.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209 View Post
    Well... I'm back to Verichat (the "fixed" version). Although I'm pissed at the way PDAApps has dealt with this situation, Causerie - even the latest beta - had issues. I could never get it to show my buddies' statuses correctly. They would show as logged in, even when I knew they were not. When I would log out/back in, they correct status would then show up. Bummer, but at least Verichat now works.

link to this verichat version please?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    still takes like 4-5 secs to exit causerie!

too bad....
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie View Post
    I've not looked at any of these. How does Chatopus compare? I saw you can use it with Google Talk, which the others don't seem to be able to use. Interface looks simple and streamlined... and no subscription.
    Chatopus is a jabber client. That allows it to piggyback on other protocols also. You need to find and configure your own jabber account on a third party (or local) jabber server for it to work. Once that is all set up, chatopus works as advertised, and, indeed, has no recurring cost.

It doesn't seem as full featured as either causerie or verichat.

It seems to use more battery in background operation than causerie and verichat.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123