Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Ksmith,

I agree 100% with you and that is way I as a Verichat user I'm stating my point why it is hard for me and other users to take the Causerie ride. I would go with Causerie, but there are features that I need that I consider essential.
    This reminds me to back in the days when SnapperMail was the best email option and Chatter came along. Now, Chatter cannot be compared to SnapperMail.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    You know what I LIKE about Causerie (being a paid Verichat customer who is now trialing Causerie)? It works and they are responsive. They actually listen to customers, make improvements, and post on this board. When was the last Verichat update? When was the last piece of meaningful communication? I get the whole "it's not stated to be compatible with the 700" argument but come on. I'll put my money with the company that seems to care about its customer base - old and new.
    I'm with ksmith on this one.

As a registered user of the now broken Verichat I'm finding Causerie to be a nice replacement. I don't consider myself a power user of IM, so Causerie does the job niceley- and the support team is active on the product!
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    By the way - as a Verichat user I missed the "all-in-one" view that people have mentioned. I tried the "favorites" trick on Causerie that someone mentioned and it works well. Now I have all of my buddies - regardless of service type - clustered at the top of the page. Not quite as good as the VC view, but close enough to make me a Causerie customer when my trial is over.
    By the way - as a Verichat user I missed the "all-in-one" view that people have mentioned. I tried the "favorites" trick on Causerie that someone mentioned and it works well. Now I have all of my buddies - regardless of service type - clustered at the top of the page. Not quite as good as the VC view, but close enough to make me a Causerie customer when my trial is over.
    That was me

Glad to hear you like the favorites view and are enjoying causerie!
    It's great to see a representative from the developer active on the discussion board, especially to criticism. I'm a former Verichat user, let the product expire after being frustrated with the resets, and the lack of public (or private) response from developers. I've been getting buy with Toccer, but I might have to give Causerie a run the next time my IM needs go up....
    I received my 700p on 5-30 and tried to install Verichat and much to my dismay it was practically useless. I became very disgruntled with PDA Apps for not making the least effort to support the 700p. My subscription ends in about 10 days and I am gladly giving them the boot for Causerie.
    Hi,

Did you guys check the new version 3.2.4w with many performance and UI improvements. The LED alerts are back. Feel free to try from http://mantragroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198

Regards,
    Kalyan
    Well... I'm back to Verichat (the "fixed" version). Although I'm pissed at the way PDAApps has dealt with this situation, Causerie - even the latest beta - had issues. I could never get it to show my buddies' statuses correctly. They would show as logged in, even when I knew they were not. When I would log out/back in, they correct status would then show up. Bummer, but at least Verichat now works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Causerie: It gets really close to Verichat, but not there yet. It fails on the same main principal as Mundu: there is no way you can see a single window with only your buddies that are online regardless of their type. I like the grouping views but that DOES NOT GIVE US INSTANT AVIALABILITY.
    Wow... it's funny you mention that as your only Causerie concern -- I'd list others. But as for this one, it's no longer a problem. The latest beta -- which works quite well, actually, since the beta started mostly for the testing of 700P support -- 3.2.4x specifically adds a buddy list grouping by online/offline status. See this thread.
    Yup, yup... got it... Causerie 3.2.4x

I know you can make Causerie show only your ONLINE buddies, but the view is in a Tree/Group format. So if you have a lot of groups it looks really bad on the Treo. On my PC grouping works fine because I have the space, but on the Treo it is a bad idea.
    This is one of those matter of preference issues. In my case, I have so many buddies (work & personal) that I honestly prefer them grouped by buddy group (across IM providers). I tried looking at them by on/off-line status and it just got to be too irritating for me. But, the great thing is having options to do what we want in the way we want it, right? And now you have the option of buddy list by status in Causerie. Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frampton
    In fact, I just wrote Verichat to cancel my subscription. I can't stand the constant resets or the total inability to use SMS mode. It was worthless on my Treo 650. I too would really would like to see the online grouping with Causerie, if possible. It does seem to be a drawback.
    This was my primary reason for re-evaluating other IM clients when my renewal last came up a few months ago. When I came across the then-new 3.2.3 Causerie release, I jumped to it immediately. Still some niggles, even with the latest 3.2.4 beta. But as I've said so many times, I can live with issues so long as (a) the issue list grows shorter and (b) the developers are actively working on the product. VeriChat, as good as it is, fails on both those measures. 2.89b was released eons ago. PDA Apps has screwed whatever lead they may have had with a then great product.
    Is it just me or Causerie has a long lag when you enter/exit the program?
    Yup, yup... esp with 3.2.3 or early 3.2.4 on 700p. Again, see the 3.2.4 thread. The developers have actively been working this issue.
    You know what I LIKE about Causerie (being a paid Verichat customer who is now trialing Causerie)? It works and they are responsive. They actually listen to customers, make improvements, and post on this board. When was the last Verichat update? When was the last piece of meaningful communication? I get the whole "it's not stated to be compatible with the 700" argument but come on. I'll put my money with the company that seems to care about its customer base - old and new.
    Hallelujah! I totally agree. And, to be fair, it's not that PDA Apps have fallen back on the "it's not supported" line... worse, they fell back on the "it's on the roadmap" line.

And as a perfect example of how much better the Mantragroup developers are? A feature they only just described in this thread as being put onto the roadmap is now already in the latest beta. I was a little confused in the 3.2.4 thread as to why they bothered with the new online/offline grouping until I saw this thread here. But if you needed a better example of their responsiveness, I can't imagine one...
    Well... I'm back to Verichat (the "fixed" version). Although I'm pissed at the way PDAApps has dealt with this situation, ...
    Really? They actually dealt with it? It was my impression that a user posted the hack (which I differentiate from "fix" unless PDAApps has released the source into public domain, or licensed it to that user) that got it working properly. I wasn't surprised to read VC is more stable on the 700P, though, since it was always my impression that it was too dbcache hungry for doing much else on the 650.
    I'm sure the hack is what he was referring to. PDAApps has not released a new version. I can't vouch for how this was "hacked", but it does make Verichat work with the 700p.

Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    ..... (which I differentiate from "fix" unless PDAApps has released the source into public domain, or licensed it to that user) that got it working properly. (
    Wow... it's funny you mention that as your only Causerie concern -- I'd list others. But as for this one, it's no longer a problem. The latest beta -- which works quite well, actually, since the beta started mostly for the testing of 700P support -- 3.2.4x specifically adds a buddy list grouping by online/offline status. See this thread.
    Thanks for mentioning this, I was also waiting for this option (single window with only your buddies that are online regardless of their type). If you don't mind me asking, you mention that you have some other (minor?) concerns about Causerie, what are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    If you don't mind me asking, you mention that you have some other (minor?) concerns about Causerie, what are they?
    Mostly it's UI stuff... but frankly I had similar UI concerns with Verichat. I just found Verichat's implementation a little less annoying. The issue is getting a more direct notification of when new messages exist and who sent them. Both of these clients have a pull-down/up list to show who's talking and who last sent a message. That's wonderful, but I have to constantly pull the list out to check or switch. I rather prefer a feature ChatterEmail added some time ago, which is to pop up a little button that you can hit to take you to the next mailbox with a new message in it. Wow! Now wouldn't it be nice to have that for chat sessions too?

I also have had some issues with logging (esp with pop-ups that happen when not in Causerie itself) and SMS. But I know that recent betas have been working to address issues in those areas. I've only just started running 3.2.4x today, so I guess I'll see whether these persist in my usage.
    oh, BTW... seems that TreoCentral's email server(s) got added to an XBL, so some of us may not be getting email updates on threads for a bit...
    Mostly it's UI stuff... but frankly I had similar UI concerns with Verichat. I just found Verichat's implementation a little less annoying. The issue is getting a more direct notification of when new messages exist and who sent them. Both of these clients have a pull-down/up list to show who's talking and who last sent a message. That's wonderful, but I have to constantly pull the list out to check or switch. I rather prefer a feature ChatterEmail added some time ago, which is to pop up a little button that you can hit to take you to the next mailbox with a new message in it. Wow! Now wouldn't it be nice to have that for chat sessions too?
    Thanks for your thoughts on this. It's helpful to know that your concerns have more to do with UI issues as opposed to any issues regarding stability etc. I also use Chatter and you are right, it would be nice to have a little pop up button that allowed you to quickly take you to another IM conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy8
    I'm sure the hack is what he was referring to. PDAApps has not released a new version. I can't vouch for how this was "hacked", but it does make Verichat work with the 700p.
    I thought the hack was to make vc think it was running on a 650 instead of a 700p
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast