Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone else with a Verizon 700p experienced a problem with the 700p disconnecting from the Internet (BroadbandAccess)? Even if I set Versamail or Snapper to check every 5 minutes it still disconnects itself and both programs seem to have trouble reestablishing connections without manual intervention.

I have experienced similar issues with Blazer or essentially any Internet app. I called Verizon about this and they advised me that my 700p was defective and to return/exchange for a new one...which I did, but am experiencing the same problem.

I never had this problem with my 600, but that was the 1x network, not EVDO, so I am assuming one of two things:

1) The EVDO connection is not strong enough to maintain the connection (I doubt this as I have apparent strong signal strength and no problems 'reconnecting' to the EVDO network as long as I do it manually).

2) Verizon is intentionally severing connections to reduce the bandwidth used by folks (this seems like a ridiculous thing to do on an 'always on' device).

Has anyone experienced similar with Verizon, and if so, what was your solution, if you were able to find one?

Thanks.
    I don't see this at all. The data triangles that show a connection can stay on all day on mine if I don't move to a point where the signal is lost and regained.

Checking email sees a little overzealous to me, but I don't think it has anything to do with your issue.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I don't see this at all. The data triangles that show a connection can stay on all day on mine if I don't move to a point where the signal is lost and regained.

Checking email sees a little overzealous to me, but I don't think it has anything to do with your issue.
    I was really just setting it that way to see if I had the problem when trying to maintain a connection. I don't actually plan to check my email every 5 minutes...I would like the battery to last slightly more than 1 hour

If I may ask, where are you located? I am in the Washington DC area.

When I had my 600, I would have the grey triangles as well, and they would kick green when I was actually using the network. Perhaps the problem is the EVDO in my area...and it never seems to kick to 1x...always EVDO so maybe I shouldn't complain.
    I see this a lot, and it makes using "push" email completely impractical. I don't know whether it's just poor signal or whether there's a more serious issue. Someone over at the ChatterEmail forum said that Verizon tech support confirmed that in his case, frequent network disconnects were due to a hardware problem; they still happened even after a hard reset. I'm going to see whether the same thing occurs for me.
    I'm near Portland Oregon. I will say that something funny was going on with Verizon on Friday morning. I'm testing both a 700p and a Motorola Q. Both of them had the battery dropping rapidly in the morning, but settled back to a normal rate in the late afternoon.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6.    #6  
    Ran across this thread on another forum. I am going to pursue some of the means these guys did...I'll report back any success...or failure.

http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/...lems-6211.html
    I've have the same problem and it's very annoying. It did not (and does not) do this with the 650 in the same locale. I called Verizon and was told they reduced the frequency of data connecting because people complained. Clearly something has to be done as it slows data apps access times (when needing to reconnect) and screws up push and pull mail apps.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
  8.    #8  
    There are definitely differences from area to area. I work about an hour from my house and it didn't disconnect once all day today at the office. I am still trying to see if it is possible to get the stable connection at home.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I had similar issues with my Blackberry 7130e on Verizon. Either Verizon has serious EVDO problems or they are doing something with their network.

Cingular's 3G network is a year out and if Verizon doesn't have it together by then I am gone.

Frankly, the only reason I am using Verizon now is because of the ability to tether on their EVDO network.

Today was real bad. I got a lot of disconnects on my 700p.

Can you hear me now Verizon?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy
    I've have the same problem and it's very annoying. It did not (and does not) do this with the 650 in the same locale. I called Verizon and was told they reduced the frequency of data connecting because people complained. Clearly something has to be done as it slows data apps access times (when needing to reconnect) and screws up push and pull mail apps.
    It won't do this with a 650 because it is 1XRT.

The 700p is EVDO and the problem is with EVDO
    I've seen the same problem occasionally, but I honestly don't think it's Verizon. I can be connected all day and see those grey arrows showing an idle EVDO connection, and I can connect to the Internet without having to reconnect. However, I find that occasionally while I am requesting a page the connection just stops and the grey arrows go away.

I don't think it's because Verizon's network says "Ok you started using your EVDO connection again, let's disconnect you." I think it has something to do with a hardware issue or programming issue in an application.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airoid
    I've seen the same problem occasionally, but I honestly don't think it's Verizon. I can be connected all day and see those grey arrows showing an idle EVDO connection, and I can connect to the Internet without having to reconnect. However, I find that occasionally while I am requesting a page the connection just stops and the grey arrows go away.

I don't think it's because Verizon's network says "Ok you started using your EVDO connection again, let's disconnect you." I think it has something to do with a hardware issue or programming issue in an application.
    When it first started happening with my 7130e I thought it was the device as well. Now that it is happening with the Treo I am leaning towards it being a Verizon issue.

I wonder if Sprint users are experiencing the same problem.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I've been having the same problem on my vzw 700p. It keeps disconnecting, and I get an aler that indicates "suspended by user".

Never had this problem with the 650.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    FWIW, I think it is VZW. Up until today, the phone occasionally dropped the EV-DO connection, but no more than every couple of days. (I use NotifyLink to get mail from my office and sync with my office Outlook.) Today, it has dropped the EVDO connection several times already. I've made no changes to the phone and the Treo has been stable for me otherwise. It also has no problem reconnecting. I am in Washington D.C. and I suspect the probem is related to network traffic. I willl see if it clears up later.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcfogel
    It won't do this with a 650 because it is 1XRT.

The 700p is EVDO and the problem is with EVDO

If you are correct and the problem is with EVDO alone, then I would expect that other Verizon EVDO phones would also experience the problem and and when using a Verizon 700p in a non-EVDO area one should not experience the disconnects. Do we know if either or both are true? It would help in narrowing the likely source of the problem.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
  16.    #16  
    An update on this and a possible fix.

Like I mentioned, when I am at work (I work about an hour away from my house) I did not experience this issue. I had played with pretty much every setting to try to get the connection to stay alive at home.

Well, I am not sure if Verizon upgraded the EVDO coverage in my area (I do not think this is the case) or if this fixed my issue, but if someone else would like to try this and report back it may be a fix.

I set up Verizon Sync on Friday evening and set it to sync only my ISP email (Comcast). SInce I set up the sync I have not lost my connection at home once. Furthermore, it is finally correctly dropping to 1x and coming back to EVDO depending on where I am in my house/yard.

In other words, it's working the way it's supposed to finally

Although I'll be happier when there is consistently better EVDO coverage in my home area, I am satisfied with this and can't complain.

If anyone else has had similar experience, or if this fit works for anyone else I'd be interested to know.
    Last edited by roamer; 07/02/2006 at 10:39 AM.
    FWIW: I am on Sprint and though I always see the grid my 700p, there is a setting in Preferences which asks whether one wants to "[]Connect to the network whenever the phone is powered on." This is under Prefs/Network/Options/Preferences. I thought I would mention it, although, in this case, I'm pretty sure the issue is Verizon specific and that this is not the cause of the problem.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    FWIW: I am on Sprint and though I always see the grid my 700p, there is a setting in Preferences which asks whether one wants to "[]Connect to the network whenever the phone is powered on." This is under Prefs/Network/Options/Preferences. I thought I would mention it, although, in this case, I'm pretty sure the issue is Verizon specific and that this is not the cause of the problem.

Yeah, Verizon has the same setting, but all it does is connect to Broadband when the phone service is initially turned on (like after a flight, reset, etc). It doesn't reconnect if the network connection gets dropped. It may function differently with Sprint's service though.
    Well, on Sprint if I stop using the net for a while and try to reconnect the device does a Connecting to the Internet, Signing On, and Connection Established all the time. It never stays permanently connected. I don't know if you folks are referring to this (I don't use Chatter or "push" mail at all).
    copernicus, I get the same thing but I am on Verizon. I do use Chatter which I am experimenting with and turning off and on to see if it makes a difference.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast