Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Like the 700w, the 700p has 128 Mbyte total memory, 60 Mbyte available to users, as compared with 32 Mbyte total, 23 Mbyte available to users on the Treo 650.
    The specs state 128 MB total, but as we all know, only 60 MB's are available for users. Now, don't get me wrong, that's plenty for me right now, as I've cut my teeth on the 600 and 650 and know all about the lean times.

But still, it strikes me as odd that spec sheets and comparison articles (like this) state that the Treo 700 has 128 MB of memory, when in fact only less than half of that is actually available.

Imagine if a computer manufacturer sold you a computer, and boasted that it came with a 200 GB hard drive. Then you get home to use it, and see that 120 of those gigabytes have OS and applications pre-installed, they are required for the use of the machine, and cannot be deleted. Technically, all you're getting is 80 GB of storage (and actually, it's more like 65-70 GB, once you factor in other overhead.)

Just seems... misleading to me, that's all.

<shrug>
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    The specs state 128 MB total, but as we all know, only 60 MB's are available for users. Now, don't get me wrong, that's plenty for me right now, as I've cut my teeth on the 600 and 650 and know all about the lean times.

But still, it strikes me as odd that spec sheets and comparison articles (like this) state that the Treo 700 has 128 MB of memory, when in fact only less than half of that is actually available.

Imagine if a computer manufacturer sold you a computer, and boasted that it came with a 200 GB hard drive. Then you get home to use it, and see that 120 of those gigabytes have OS and applications pre-installed, they are required for the use of the machine, and cannot be deleted. Technically, all you're getting is 80 GB of storage (and actually, it's more like 65-70 GB, once you factor in other overhead.)

<shrug>
    When dell sells a computer, they don't state the size of the hard drive minus the space used for the OS and software apps. Obviously, you could format the hard drive, but your PC would not be much use until you put an OS on it and used up space.

As for the Treo, you could completely wipe it out and get yourself more memory available, but it wouldn't be much use either.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    It's a bit misleading, but almost all of these mobile devices list total memory as opposed to actual available. Palm isn't the only one guilty of this practice, Windows Mobile devices also list it as well. Most like Palm say in small print 60mb available to user. I know how you feel though.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Everything I've seen on the 700p clearly states 128 MB RAM with 60 MB available to the user. Not misleading to me.
    Visit my smartphone website :
    Smartphone Reviews
    Reviews & news on all smartphones - including the Treo line.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown71
    Everything I've seen on the 700p clearly states 128 MB RAM with 60 MB available to the user. Not misleading to me.
    yeah the same thing for me,the breakdown is clear cut.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    It's a bit misleading, but almost all of these mobile devices list total memory as opposed to actual available. Palm isn't the only one guilty of this practice, Windows Mobile devices also list it as well. Most like Palm say in small print 60mb available to user. I know how you feel though.
    Is there any other device whose built-in software uses more than half of the total memory though?

Just curious.

I'm not feeling deceived here, it's more of an "observation" that surprised me.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    When dell sells a computer, they don't state the size of the hard drive minus the space used for the OS and software apps. Obviously, you could format the hard drive, but your PC would not be much use until you put an OS on it and used up space.
    I understand that, but on a 200 GB drive, the built-in OS and apps required to make the machine usable take up, what, 10-15 GB?

Imagine if these (again, required and cannot be deleted) apps took up 110 GB.

That's the scenario I'm talking about. I realize that Palm explicitly states the "available memory" as a caveat on their packaging. But many reporters are comparing the "total memory" specs but not referencing the true picture.

Scroll to the comparison chart here, which stacks the Treo 700p against the Motorola Q. Does the Treo really have double the memory of the other device?

Just for sake of semantics, which has more memory:
    A device with 128 MB of total memory but only has 60 MB available to the user, or a hypothetical device with 64 MB of memory but has 61 available to the user?

I suppose I'm more surprised by the sheer size of the bundled apps, than I am about any deception on the part of the specs. Documents to Go and pTunes have already been updated. If I install those updates, I'm using up even more of my memory (and the memory used by the built-in apps in ROM can't be easily reclaimed.) And what about the user who doesn't even care about these particular apps?

Maybe it would have been better if these apps weren't installed in ROM at all, so the user could choose what s/he wanted to do with as much of the 128 MB of RAM as possible.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer

<shrug>
    they sell it like this all the time. they say what size the hard drive is but its not the useable space after the OS etc..
    Is it rite? no. Is it legal? To be Determined
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    they sell it like this all the time. they say what size the hard drive is but its not the useable space after the OS etc..
    Is it rite? no. Is it legal? To be Determined
    I understand that. A 120 GB drive is really 111 GB and it has 10 GB of stuff preinstalled. I get it. Blah blah blah.

I've just never seen a case where the total space (the number mentioned in cursory reviews) was more than double the actual, usuable space. And the Treo is unique, because it's not like I can (at least not easily) wipe the device and clear the memory use down to a minimal amount, like I can with a computer's HD. 68 of the 120 megabytes is locked off and unavailable to me.

And yes, monitor manufacturers have already faced a class-action lawsuit for advertising picture tube sizes instead of viewable image sizes.

I am not advocating any kind of lawsuit, of course, I knew full well what I was getting when I bought my Treo 700p and I am quite content with the memory allotment. I was making an observation about how far things have gone, and surmising that Palm made some strange choices in the stock configuration of this device.
    As discussed in an earlier thread, the Treo 700p memory architecture appears to be as follows:

Total - 64 MB NOR strataflash integrated into Intel XScale processor
    Rom - ~10-12 MB XIP (excute in place)
    Bundled apps:
    DTG ~ 4+ MB
    Ptunes ~2+ MB
    improved blazer with kinoma media player?
    Help files etc?

Total- 64 MB Nand
    Storage Heap = 60 MB users accesible
    NVFS/sys files = ~4 MB?

Total - 32 MB volite SDRAM
    dbcahe = 18 MB
    dbheap = 10 MB
    bot code?
    remaining 4 MB? sys files?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I agree c Fofer on this. I am psyched by the inc in memory that is for sure. But why not a number closer to the T/X's useable memory? Why have DTG and PT as ROM apps? Why not just bundle those on the CD? I had to download the a free update of the most recent DTG today in order to view encypted PDF files and lost memory in the process. It would be much preferred just to have deleted the old DTG and downloaded the newest version. Not to mention all the links to Sprint BC, Goodlink, etc. Don't even get me started on PocketTunes! What a disaster. I have 3 MP3 players installed right now and none of them work perfectly. This may be the 1st time I seriously consider a custom ROM when they become "available". Overall though am really enjoying the update! (seriously I am!)