Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...87243&R=187243

Just checking out their site and it lists it as compatible with the 700p?
    I tried it, and here's how it worked for me:

I downloaded and installed the demo; I logged in with it, and it worked perfectly. Flawlessly...

So I bought the program; it never worked flawlessly again.

In my opinion, using the Treo as modem has extremely limited, if no, usefulness. While the download speeds are really fast (using Bluetooth, I got 620.6 in one of my speed tests), the upload speed is almost non-existent. The tests I've done have yielded no higher than 25, which is sub-dial-in-modem speed. Totally useless to me.

For some Internet activities, specifically remote access to a database, or using a virtual desktop program like Timbuktu or Apple's Remote Desktop, communication is constantly two-way, which means that you need a fast upload speed in addition to a fast download speed. With the upload speed as slow as it is with the Treo as modem, I can't do any of these things, so it's useless to me.

For surfing the web or retrieiving email, it works fine, but my question is this: if that's all you'd use it for, then why not just use the Treo itself?

My thoughts on it... hope this helps. I'd hold off on USB Modem until they get it working better. I emailed them with my problems, and they responded once, but I haven't heard a word since. I wish I'd never bought it.

Bob
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I have been trying to hook my 700p up as a modem both with cord and through bluetooth with no success. Through my trial and errors I found this update from sprint

Software Downloads

Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem/USB Cables
    File Size Version
    Sprint_PCS_Connection_Manager.msi 16MB 3.01.024 Download

This Connection Manager will provide internet connectivity via a USB cable or Bluetooth (if available on the handset) with Windows 2000 and Windows XP. This software contains device drivers to enable the following Sprint PCS phones:

Samsung® - A580, A640, A900, A920, A940, A960
    Sanyo® - 2400, 3100, 6600, 7500, 9000
    Sprint PPC 6700
    Motorola C290
    Rim - 7130, 7250
    LG 550
    Treo 700p

This with give you a program on your desktop sprint pcs connection. I will call customer support to see it it will hook up. There has been very limited information using 700p with power vision as a modem.
    USB Modem works great for me. When I get a decent connection I have been able to achieve 850kbps down/105kbps up with it.

The only weirdness I've noticed is that you must disconnect from Power Vision first. If you don't you can click all you want on the "enable" button but it will never switch to enabled. It doesn't display any kind of error message when this happens it just sort of sits there. It drove me crazy until I figured that out. Now that I know, it works fantastic. Maybe that was the problem you were having, longterm?
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    USB Modem works great for me. When I get a decent connection I have been able to achieve 850kbps down/105kbps up with it.

The only weirdness I've noticed is that you must disconnect from Power Vision first. If you don't you can click all you want on the "enable" button but it will never switch to enabled. It doesn't display any kind of error message when this happens it just sort of sits there. It drove me crazy until I figured that out. Now that I know, it works fantastic. Maybe that was the problem you were having, longterm?
    I'm glad to hear you're having success with it; that's encouraging!

Interestingly, I got an email from the Mobile Stream tech guy shortly after my post (he must've read it); he says there's a fix coming sometime today.

How do you disconnect from Power Vision? I'll give that a try...

UPDATE: I just downloaded and installed 1.4.1, but it still won't connect using USB.
    Last edited by longterm; 06/11/2006 at 03:20 PM.
    Disconnect from Power Vision by going to the "Prefs" app, then select "Network" . That should take you to a screen that says "Power Vision" at the top. Click the "Disconnect" button in the lower right to disconnect. If the button says "connect" on it then you are already disconnected and you should leave it alone.

A new version is out? I'll have to check out and see what changed.
    longterm, what exactly was the problem you were having?
    longterm, what exactly was the problem you were having?
    It never dials; I eventually get a "disconnect" message and then the error sometimes says "Modem error" and sometimes says "No dial tone detected. Please check phone line connection and try again." I don't have "Wait for dial tone" checked.

Frustrating...

Bob
    Interesting: I just switched the modem to "Sprint PCS Vision" and it connected. Doesn't work with the Mobile Stream script though.
    Here's my speed with the USB cable (at least, according to DSLReports):

"Your download speed : 230 kbps or 28.8 KB/sec.
    That is 67.9% worse than an average user on spcsdns.net

Your upload speed : 20 kbps or 2.5 KB/sec.
    That is 74% worse than an average user on spcsdns.net"

I've gotten as high as 620 using Bluetooth, although it dropped off after a few minutes. I'm still on using the USB cable... awful upload time though.

UPDATE: Here's the results from a 2nd test using a different server: 258 / 45
    UPDATE 2: Another server: 426 / 35

So download's just fine; I wish I could get uploads in at least the 150 range though.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    It never dials; I eventually get a "disconnect" message and then the error sometimes says "Modem error" and sometimes says "No dial tone detected. Please check phone line connection and try again." I don't have "Wait for dial tone" checked.

Frustrating...

Bob
    What phone number was it trying to dial? What settings does the dialer use for it? (Speed, init string, etc). I use Linux on my laptop so the dialer app is of course going to be different but maybe I can help.
    Here's my speed with the USB cable (at least, according to DSLReports):

"Your download speed : 230 kbps or 28.8 KB/sec.
    That is 67.9% worse than an average user on spcsdns.net

Your upload speed : 20 kbps or 2.5 KB/sec.
    That is 74% worse than an average user on spcsdns.net"

I've gotten as high as 620 using Bluetooth, although it dropped off after a few minutes. I'm still on using the USB cable... awful upload time though.

UPDATE: Here's the results from a 2nd test using a different server: 258 / 45
    UPDATE 2: Another server: 426 / 35

So download's just fine; I wish I could get uploads in at least the 150 range though.
    Yeah, I've been getting pretty crappy scores myself today (~250kpbs down, ~50kbps up here in the SF Bay Area) but the other day (in Las Vegas) I was able to get the great speeds I posted earlier. I think the speeds are very dependant on the tower that you are connecting to.

Why on earth do you need at least 150kpbs upstream? Are you trying to run an FTP server on your Treo? ;-) I don't you'll ever see that for upstream.
    What phone number was it trying to dial? What settings does the dialer use for it? (Speed, init string, etc). I use Linux on my laptop so the dialer app is of course going to be different but maybe I can help.
    This is on a Mac laptop; the dial string for Sprint is #777.

I don't know where the problem is; the Mobile Stream guys are looking at my error log though, and have been very responsive all afternoon, so I think they'll find it eventually. They seem like a conscientious bunch.
    Why on earth do you need at least 150kpbs upstream? Are you trying to run an FTP server on your Treo? ;-) I don't you'll ever see that for upstream.
    I own a web hosting company, and host hundreds of databases and websites on 28 Mac servers. I connect to them all day using Timbuktu, and the databases are FileMaker databases, which communicate from client to server in both directions, and which like to have a nice speedy pipe.

A typical home cable modem is sufficient, but their upload speeds are usually in the 100+ range, I think; I don't know anymore because I have a T1 here (incredible, and has totally spoiled me).

Bob
    The whole webhosting company running on Mac and FileMaker thing is pretty scary. People will pay for that? ;-) (Just teasing a little! Sounds like a sweet setup.)
    The whole webhosting company running on Mac and FileMaker thing is pretty scary. People will pay for that? ;-) (Just teasing a little! Sounds like a sweet setup.)
    Actually, yes, they pay quite well for it. Here's a little factoid: in the 10 years that we've been in business, we've had ZERO trojans, ZERO viruses, and these things run 24/7, and have been for 10 years.

Here's another factoid: with 28 servers and 1 PC (that's not a server and doesn't run 24/7), here's the hardware we've replaced:

3 hard drives
    2 PC motherboards, 1 PC CPU
    1 Mac motherboard

So we have 28 Macs, have had 1 hardware failure other than drives. We have ONE PC, and have replaced the motherboard twice, the CPU once from failure. Not to mention the drive I replaced on the PC as well...

For what it's worth, Mac OS X Server is Apache, which runs more than 80% of the websites worldwide...
    Like I said I was just teasing. I'm actually a Linux person myself but I've been meaning to pick up a Mac Mini to play around with. Those Macs are nice machines, but you really don't see them in the datacenter very much. I install my company's computer systems into our customers datacenters for work so I've seen quite a few. I really have no idea why so many these days are running Windows machines with all the headaches associated with it. I'll bet with your Mac setup you can run the whole thing by yourself without any problem!

Actually, yes, they pay quite well for it. Here's a little factoid: in the 10 years that we've been in business, we've had ZERO trojans, ZERO viruses, and these things run 24/7, and have been for 10 years.

Here's another factoid: with 28 servers and 1 PC (that's not a server and doesn't run 24/7), here's the hardware we've replaced:

3 hard drives
    2 PC motherboards, 1 PC CPU
    1 Mac motherboard

So we have 28 Macs, have had 1 hardware failure other than drives. We have ONE PC, and have replaced the motherboard twice, the CPU once from failure. Not to mention the drive I replaced on the PC as well...

For what it's worth, Mac OS X Server is Apache, which runs more than 80% of the websites worldwide...
    Like I said I was just teasing. I'm actually a Linux person myself but I've been meaning to pick up a Mac Mini to play around with. Those Macs are nice machines, but you really don't see them in the datacenter very much. I install my company's computer systems into our customers datacenters for work so I've seen quite a few. I really have no idea why so many these days are running Windows machines with all the headaches associated with it. I'll bet with your Mac setup you can run the whole thing by yourself without any problem!
    I knew you were only teasing, I just wanted to crow about how well these machines run!

I can't imagine trying to run a hosting center using Windows; when I got into consulting, I taught myself Visual Basic, started doing consulting, mostly with PCs, until the day I spent 12 hours rebuilding my PC because Windows had gotten so fouled up and I couldn't get Dreamweaver to run anymore. That was when I started my company and started building up a network of Macs.

I wish I knew Linux though; it sounds like a rock-solid OS...

You should pick up a Mac Mini; they're cool little machines. I have several of them, one of which is in my stereo cabinet and is used just for playing my MP3s. I even use one for a web server for one client's website, and it works great. It started out as an experiment, but it runs so well i've left it there... I'm a huge Apple fan. Their designs are really great... I have a G5, and the interior of it is so well-designed, it's a work of art. I've never seen a machine that is so well-constructed...
    Last edited by longterm; 06/11/2006 at 08:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    btw, as someone who has worked with and on thin client protocols (at microsoft on rdp) vnc and our own research protocol (in a lan, we can do video over the thinc client protocol) one doesn't need a huge upstream. In fact, the biggest upstream issue will be latency.

upstream will matter if you're doing other things besides display (i.e. sharing disks, usb devices....), but thats a more specialized case and really only w/ RDP.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoad
    btw, as someone who has worked with and on thin client protocols (at microsoft on rdp) vnc and our own research protocol (in a lan, we can do video over the thinc client protocol) one doesn't need a huge upstream. In fact, the biggest upstream issue will be latency.

upstream will matter if you're doing other things besides display (i.e. sharing disks, usb devices....), but thats a more specialized case and really only w/ RDP.
    You know what? You're right!

I just installed the latest version of USB Modem, and it's working great; those guys are working hard to get it all squared away, and I want to publicly praise their good work. It's working fine for me now.

I just tried Timbuktu, and it loaded up really fast... I should've tried it before I started whining about upload speed...

So USB Modem gets a big thumbs up from me...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast