Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Longterm are you able to keep the connection working in usb mode?, what version are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by GXMONT
    Longterm are you able to keep the connection working in usb mode?, what version are you using?
    Yes, it's staying connected really well now.

I downloaded the latest version of USB Modem (don't know if they've also updated the demo--probably so), which is 1.4.2.

From what I can tell, the USB connection seems about the same as Bluetooth, but I need to try it some more to be sure.

It's working a lot better, although connection attempts aren't 100%. Sometimes it just doesn't connect to my Mac laptop, and then after a few tries it works. There's probably a simple thing that will fix it, or else perhaps it's still something in their connection script that needs to be tweaked, but they've been good about working on it, and it's doing a lot better.

I surfed the web for 15 minutes or more earlier today and it was really quite good--not as good as my T1 line, but definitely as good as a cable modem or DSL line, I'd think.

So, for $25 I think it's a great deal. I have the tethered hack installed, by the way; I don't know if you need it with USB Modem, but I already had it installed, so that needs to be mentioned here...

Good luck!

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    So, for $25 I think it's a great deal. I have the tethered hack installed, by the way; I don't know if you need it with USB Modem, but I already had it installed, so that needs to be mentioned here...

Good luck!

Bob
    DO you need the hack with this software? Anyone have any insight?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    DO you need the hack with this software? Anyone have any insight?
    I never installed the hack, and USB modem works fine for me.
    Can anyone verify that while using the connection provided by USB Modem (for those of us without the PAM plan) you are not being charged for data usage?

Also, I remember I tried a previous version of USB Modem which also included a Bluetooth option. What happened to that?
    Getting 556/112 here in a 2-bar reception area on my Treo 700p.

Why would you want to use this tool to access the data network from your laptop and not be charged for data usage? You SHOULD be charged for data usage because you are using data!

Get a data plan and your conscience will be at ease.
    I just downloaded the Mac OS X 10.4.7 update, using USB Modem & my Treo; it took less than 6 minutes to download the 39.6MB file!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace
    I never installed the hack, and USB modem works fine for me.
    I'm sure it will work, but have you received your first bill and if so, are there no extra charges for PAM?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I have four bars today and did a DSLReports test -- 643/130. Looks like I can't get more than 130 upstream, this is the highest I've gotten. 700p here with latest USB Modem installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I'm sure it will work, but have you received your first bill and if so, are there no extra charges for PAM?
    I've got the Verizon tethering option, so I can't tell you whether it'll work without a plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    I have four bars today and did a DSLReports test -- 643/130. Looks like I can't get more than 130 upstream, this is the highest I've gotten. 700p here with latest USB Modem installed.
    Until Sprint and Verizon roll out upgrades to their networks and new phones with EVDO ver A, you won't get much more than 110-130 on the upstream. That's the limitation of EVDO ver 0.
    Hi LongTerm,

do you just have power vision plan or do you also have the PAM plan?
    the reason I am asking before on their web site they are running a "treo utility belt" http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html $29.90 with usb modem and card reader. Is all I need is power vision to make this work!!! sign me up! I tried to read the "hack" but I kinda giveup...
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
    Anyone get charged for usage with USBModem?
    ?
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I've only used USB modem a few times as a test to see how it works, but I haven't gotten any additional charges in a few months. We are talkin a few minutes here and there though...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I use USB Modem with my MacBook and it works great with no new charges from Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue4ever View Post
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...87243&R=187243

Just checking out their site and it lists it as compatible with the 700p?
    It works awesome for me! This is connected to my PowerBook via USB. If I ever have a problem I hang up /redial and it generally connects. If I still have any problem I reboot both computer and phone and it almost always connects first try afterwards. I paid for it after using it for the whole trial.

Connecting via BT is still a little iffy, but better than using what came with the phone.

Remember this is on my Sprint 700p and my Mac Powerbook 12 inch 1.5GHz with the standard USB cable.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12