Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Nevermind.. I got it working. Had some corrupted MP3 files on my card casuing it to lock up. I removed them and now it works fine.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 06/11/2006 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Got it working - nevermind.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Nevermind.. I got it working. Had some corrupted MP3 files on my card casuing it to lock up. I removed them and now it works fine.

Harv
    why bother. the 700 comes with ptunes and is much better.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burnBabyburn
    why bother. the 700 comes with ptunes and is much better.
    I like mOcean's iPod interface. And I don't even own an iPod. And you have to upgrade to Pocket Tunes Deluxe to get a graphic equalizer. mOcean doesn't have a graphic equalizer yet, but it has 23 EQ presets which are better than NO presets or EQ at all in the basic Pocket Tunes.

How many music players do you have on your laptop or desktop?

I would KILL for a PalmOS version of WinAmp, but there isn't one and it'd be a nightmare to shrink its interface down to a 2" screen.

Pocket Tunes, even the version with training wheels they ship with the 700p is better than the 650's RealPlayer, I'll give you that. But choices are good.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Harv,
    Are you experiencing the same "jumpiness"/"stuttering" on MOcean as c PocketTunes? I am! I have Pockettunes Deluxe and MOcean (trial version) and cont to notice jumpiness/stuttering c the screen on (worse) AND off (better slightly). Futhermore, the stuttering becomes MUCH worse when going from applications to email to phone app to internet (via the hard buttons) and when launching apps from SD card c Z-launcher. I have been following the Pockettunes thread and was hoping perhaps a different player would not have the same issues. WRONG! Again, I agree c some on this board that the 700P's slow speed is a MAJOR problem and the inability to listen to MP3s loaded on an SD card (AData 4GB) w/o skipping is not a good thing. Strangely enough I don't hardly ever get skips when streaming from MiniXM via Blazer/Kinoma (but then I can't go into any applications either)--GRRRR!! We need to get Palm to fix this ASAP. Is anyone not having these problems? TCMP users? Honestly, I have had fewer crashes c my 700P over the last few days c pretty heavy use and was even starting to get used to the "white screen of doom" delay, but this MP3 playback issue is very irritating!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc
    Harv,
    Are you experiencing the same "jumpiness"/"stuttering" on MOcean as c PocketTunes? I am! I have Pockettunes Deluxe and MOcean (trial version) and cont to notice jumpiness/stuttering c the screen on (worse) AND off (better slightly). Futhermore, the stuttering becomes MUCH worse when going from applications to email to phone app to internet (via the hard buttons) and when launching apps from SD card c Z-launcher. I have been following the Pockettunes thread and was hoping perhaps a different player would not have the same issues. WRONG! Again, I agree c some on this board that the 700P's slow speed is a MAJOR problem and the inability to listen to MP3s loaded on an SD card (AData 4GB) w/o skipping is not a good thing. Strangely enough I don't hardly ever get skips when streaming from MiniXM via Blazer/Kinoma (but then I can't go into any applications either)--GRRRR!! We need to get Palm to fix this ASAP. Is anyone not having these problems? TCMP users? Honestly, I have had fewer crashes c my 700P over the last few days c pretty heavy use and was even starting to get used to the "white screen of doom" delay, but this MP3 playback issue is very irritating!
    I'm getting no stuttering at all with either player if I leave them alone to just play. Yes there is some pause if I let them play in background mode and go to the launcher to do something else then go back to them. PalmOS doesn't multitask very well at all. But with either player, no stuttering if I don't leave them, and I have some MP3s that are over an hour and a half long.

I'll tell you this, though - Pocket Tunes puts out MUCH more volume than mOcean does. I plugged my BoomTube speaker system into both my 650 and 700p and tried both phones with the same SD card with a bunch of MP3s on it, and on both of them, mOcean's maximum volume was lower. No idea why.

What I wanted to do was to run both of them through my SRS Labs WoW Thing box (it's a small blue external box they don't sell anymore.. with SRS Labs' patented spatial enhancer, Tru-Bass, volume control, and amp and I run my laptop through it to the BoomTube).. But I couldn't because I don't have the right combination of converter jacks handy that'll plug into the WoW Thing and let me run the Treos through it.

Anyway, neither player stuttered on either Treo unless I let them play in the background and switched to the launcher or some other app, but I wouldn't call that stuttering, if by stuttering you mean just letting the player sit there on the screen and play. So let me kow what you mean so I know we're on the same page.

mOcean is up to V2.06, by the way.

Edited to add: my original post that mOcean locks up the 700p was based on having some "evil" corrupted MP3 files on my SD card When I deleted them, the problem went away. mOcean didn't like them. Pocket Tunes loaded them but just didn't play anything I don't even remember how they got on the card.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 06/11/2006 at 06:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I'm trying out mOcean too and think it's a great application! For those of us who've been using iTunes and iPods for a few years, it's a lot easier to deal with an interface that you're used to. Plus, I was having a horrible time syncing stuff with WMP and pTunes. Some things would sync ok, but others wouldn't. It was all just very unpredictable. mOcean seems to do well, but it has some problems still, which hopefully will get worked out.

I get no jumping/stuttering and I DO get it with pTunes as well. However, with mOcean, it doesn't seem to transfer ratings that I've made to songs on my Treo so that they're reflected in iTunes. Also, I deleted something in iTunes that I already had transferred to the Treo, then synced again and it should have been gone on the Treo too, but it wasn't - at least not until I played around and hitting the menu key somehow refreshed it and THEN it was gone. Also, during hotsyncs, it closes my iTunes which I generally have running all the time...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Thanks all for the replies. Harv, by stuttering, I was referring to the slight delay/"skip" people are experiencing c Pockettunes. I am/was still getting it c MOcean. I may try to redownload, but I think I had the most current version. I did not turn off my Chatteremail c it, so that may be an issue. I also noticed more probs c the Ipod like click wheel after putting on a more $$/thicker screensaver than the Palm one that comes c the phone. Even at the highest sensitivity setting, it still was not too responsive to the touch. My best success today was c downloading Aeroplayer and disconnecting from Chatter. No stutteriing at all then. This hint was in the Pockettunes thread. So my vote is for Aeroplayer for now until this issue c stuttering is resolved c PocketTunes. I may try MOcean again as I dig the interface, but if it cont. to skip I can't justify buying it.
    D
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc
    Thanks all for the replies. Harv, by stuttering, I was referring to the slight delay/"skip" people are experiencing c Pockettunes. I am/was still getting it c MOcean. I may try to redownload, but I think I had the most current version. I did not turn off my Chatteremail c it, so that may be an issue. I also noticed more probs c the Ipod like click wheel after putting on a more $$/thicker screensaver than the Palm one that comes c the phone. Even at the highest sensitivity setting, it still was not too responsive to the touch. My best success today was c downloading Aeroplayer and disconnecting from Chatter. No stutteriing at all then. This hint was in the Pockettunes thread. So my vote is for Aeroplayer for now until this issue c stuttering is resolved c PocketTunes. I may try MOcean again as I dig the interface, but if it cont. to skip I can't justify buying it.
    D
    Hi. First, the letter "c" by itself appears in all your postings. What are you using to post here? For instance "people are experiencing c Pockettunes." "I did not turn off my Chattermail c it." "Until this issue c stuttering is resolved."

I don't know if you're typing some upper ASCII character that is turning into the letter "c" or what, but it's consistant.

Anyway, like I said, and at the risk of repeating myself When I have either program running in my face on the screen, just sitting there playing MP3files, neither one of them stutters. If I put either of them into "background" mode so that they continue playing while I go to the launcher and do something else, there is a brief pause as the Treo switches to a different screen. But just sitting there playing MP3s? No, not in either PocketTunes or mOcean.

I also have a "glare-free" screen protector on my 700p and on my 650, and I have mOcean's wheel sensitivity set to "normal" and don't seem to have any problems fingering the wheel or tapping the buttons in its interface. It's as responsive on the 700p as on the 650 in "normal" mode. "Low mode" takes too much pressure and "high mode" is way too fast. In my opinion, the "cut along the non-dotted line one size fits all models" screen protector that Palm throws into the box is utter garbage and should only be used until a Treo owner buys a better one. Palm should be embarassed and ashamed by including that worthless sheet of in the box of a $650.00 product.

And, as I mentioned (or was that a phone call I had with someone), mOcean's volume at any given setting is FAR lower than Pocket Tunes. Mr. MotionApps still has to do something about that, although with each rev of his program, it improves a little more. It's obviously a work in progress. Then again, what software isn't?

Yes, I think if you're playing music and have an email program polling for mail, it'll make the music stutter. Even with a Treo's 312mHz processor. Hell, my year-old laptop has half a gig of RAM and a 2.1 gHz Athlon XP-M and I can make WinAmp stutter if I do something that causes a lot of hard drive activity. You can only push a computer so hard before programs misbehave. The more RAM and CPU you have, the harder you tend to push them, perhaps thinking they can handle it. Sometimes they can't. My circa 1989 Amiga 2500, (which I'll admit I hardly ever use anymore).. upgraded with a 50mHz 68060 card and 50mb of RAM actually multitasks MUCH better than a late 2004 model Winblows XP laptop. The Amiga OS was built to multitask. It doesn't use a hard drive paging file to fake RAM at all like Windoze does.

PalmOS does not multitask well at all, which is probably its worst design flaw, in my opinion. It does to some extent (playing music in the background while polling for mail, or using the calculator, or whatever..) .. but you can't use Internet apps at the same time you're using it as a phone. It's one or the other.

Hey, I'm a journalist, not an engineer. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the guts of these phones, or why PalmOS works like it does. I just live with its limitations. I still think Treos are remarkable devices, perhaps way overly complex and total overkill for the average Joe or Jane who just wants a cell phone.

To be honest, the (orphaned) TapWave Zodiacs were much more powerful than Treos in many ways, as they came with both audio (Yamaha) and video (ATi) co-processors, so the CPU didn't have to do all the work. And a "real" 3.5mm Stereo headphone jack, not these stupid 2.5mm jacks like Treos and other cell phones use. Plug your headphones or powered speakers right into it without trying to find that tiny 3.5mm > 2.5mm converter you know you put somewhere.

If Tapwave had survived and perhaps the Zodiac had evolved into a phone, I think it had the potential to kick the crap out of the Treo. Much bigger 1/2 VGA screen, stereo speakers, analog joystick, "shoulder" trigger buttons, two SD slots (one of them SDIO-capable).. gorgeous launcher interface, 128mb of user-available internal storage (double the 700p's..) .. lots of very innovative technology in those little black beasts. I still have my Zodiac II and it still works fine and although since becoming Managing Editor here, I don't use it as much as I used to, since Treo is now my beat, it's still sitting right over there <-- on its charger, ready to use whenever I get the urge to mess around with some of the fantastic software I accumulated a year ago when I was writing a lot of reviews about it. And unlike either of my Treos, I CAN stick my SanDisk WiFi card in it and use its Internet-aware programs with my home wireless router at cable modem speeds.

But I digress..

Anyway, I don't know what else to say in response.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 06/12/2006 at 02:01 AM.