Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I have a lot of traveling to do for work through the end of summer and was getting tired of lugging a PocketPC, iPod and cell phone (with AC adapters and USB cables) around in my briefcase. So a week ago Friday I ran out and picked up a Q on the first day they were available in my local Verizon store.

All the good things I heard about it were true - very light and thin, sexy looking, superb phone quality, voice activated Bluetooth. I knew it was a Smartphone with no touch screen and no office apps, only viewers). It took a while to get used to navigation, but after a few hours I could move around pretty quickly. A side note, as a left handed person, it kinda sucks that the thumbwheel is designed for right handed people, but I am used to it and pretty ambidextrous. I also realized the device was just released and was willing to live with a few rough edges as long as things looked promising.

I use an Exchange server at work for email and it was easy to configure the mail program. The only problem was after about two hours, the device stopped working for internet access. The phone part still worked fine. After a hard reset and a call in to tech support, they couldn't figure it out and had to open a case on it. They had evidently received a number of calls on this issue already. The next morning I got tired of waiting and exchanged the phone for a new one. This one worked fine.

One thing about Smartphones is that you can never close programs, they only get minimized. Having to constantly bring up the task manager to kill things was very clunky. I quickly got tired of that and invested $15 into a utility called xbar3 which is a task switcher, killer and added cut and paste capability. This made the device much, much more useful. The built in task and calendar apps are pretty weak. I downloaded the trial of Papyrus and this was a huge jump up in usability, but still irritating that I had to look to a 3rd party app to get decent functionality. I also tried the FaÁade today screen plug-in and this is a pretty slick program as well.

The built in WM player is pretty basic with lousy play list support and it skipped playing movies back. I downloaded the tcmp player and it worked just fine for music and got rid of the movie skipping. Again, another app that I needed to make the device more usable but itís free so I didnít grumble too much. The built in email program is pretty Spartan and kind of clunky to use but I thought I could live with it.

The acid test was a 5 day business trip I took last week. The device was loaded up and ready to go.

I had immediate trouble with email. The mail program randomly froze when moving back and forth between menus and while it never crashed, I had to switch to another program and switch back to unfreeze it. Aside from that, the device worked okay, but it got tiresome with how many clicks it took to do anything useful. Then I ran into my first major problem. I received a 20 page Word document I needed to review and opened it in the Q. The viewer does not appear (at least I couldnít find anything on it) to have any way of wrapping text. So you can zoom out to see an entire line but it is so small you canít read it. If you zoom in enough so that text is legible, the page exceeds the screen width and you must constantly scroll back and forth with the d-pad to read a line! This is completely useless. I had a few people I traveled with try to see if they could find any way to make it work and they couldnít either. I finally said screw it and used my laptop to review the document. I wasnít happy but still was trying to limp along. I opened up Outlook and couldnít figure out where all my emails were. It then dawned on me that my Q had suddenly decided to download and remove emails from the Exchange Server. I couldnít figure out what happened because I had previously checked to make sure this didnít happen. I was really getting irritated so I did a hard reset on the Q and reconfigured the email. It worked as expected after that, leaving the mail on the server.

By this time I was fed up. I got back last night and was at Verizon first thing this morning to trade the Q in for a 700p. It cost me another $200 but I just could not live with the many, many issues with the device. It is a great phone with a superb form factor, but it has too many problems. Some of them can be solved by 3rd party apps but why should they be needed? I hope all the 700p lives up to all the good reviews it has been getting. It canít be more aggravating than the Q was (at least I hope not!). I havenít used a Palm since the old IIIx days so I am pretty rusty on it, but they arenít hard devices to use.
    I personally think you made the right choice, just realize that the 700p has its rough edges too (at the moment), though the UI is stellar as is one handed operation compared to any windows mobile device. It's much like the 650 was on it's release, thankfully a firmware update made it even quicker and better. So far, though, the 700p has proven to be pretty stable (but a little slow or pausy, again like the 650 at its launch).
    I would be interested in seeing a similar in depth review after you've had you 700p for a little while. Unfortunately, there are several issues with the 700p right now (most noticably serious stability and speed problems) but serious issues are par for the course for a new Treo. If history is any indicator, Palm will fix most of the issues with firmware updates over the coming months. It's just a matter of hanging on until then.

I too think you made the right choice; there really is no comparisson between PalmOS and WM5 when it comes to one-handed use. PalmOS wins hands down. And the number and pricing of available applications is much better with PalmOS so if you like to load apps to increase your productivity (and it sounds like you do) then the Treo is the way to go.
    Last edited by clipcarl; 06/11/2006 at 03:01 PM.
    Hey, Merlyn_3D, I gotta disagree with you when you say the 700p is prettty stable. My own experience as well as the many threads on TC about crashes, resets and the infamous "white screen of death" strongly suggest that the 700p isn't very stable right now. My 700p crashed / reset more on the first day than my 650 did in a year and a half.
    Welcome to the Palm and Treo world. I, too think that you made the right decision. Since this is your first Palm OS device, I would suggest that you don't install any third party software for a few days till you are more familiar with the device and the OS. Judging from your original post, I think the stock 700p should meet all your current needs.

Enjoy your Treo.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    You're going to be just as frustrated with the 700p, that's just life with these pda/phones.

1. The fact that you initially had internet problems with the Q, look at how many people had provisioning problems with the 700p.

2. The fact that you feel you need to use 3rd party apps, well look at the 700p, you've got agendus, chatteremail, treoguard, butler, ludasp, etc. etc. all to make the 700p "usable". You can look at that as being a limitation, but you should be thankful that you have a phone that supports software to solve problems, not the other way around.

3. Stability with either will be a toss up, and you can "mis-configure" either phone. I'm not saying the 700p isn't a better phone, it really depends on what you need, but they both require a lot of handholding and tweaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr
    I have a lot of traveling to do for work through the end of summer and was getting tired of lugging a PocketPC, iPod and cell phone (with AC adapters and USB cables) around in my briefcase. So a week ago Friday I ran out and picked up a Q on the first day they were available in my local Verizon store.

All the good things I heard about it were true - very light and thin, sexy looking, superb phone quality, voice activated Bluetooth. I knew it was a Smartphone with no touch screen and no office apps, only viewers). It took a while to get used to navigation, but after a few hours I could move around pretty quickly. A side note, as a left handed person, it kinda sucks that the thumbwheel is designed for right handed people, but I am used to it and pretty ambidextrous. I also realized the device was just released and was willing to live with a few rough edges as long as things looked promising.

I use an Exchange server at work for email and it was easy to configure the mail program. The only problem was after about two hours, the device stopped working for internet access. The phone part still worked fine. After a hard reset and a call in to tech support, they couldn't figure it out and had to open a case on it. They had evidently received a number of calls on this issue already. The next morning I got tired of waiting and exchanged the phone for a new one. This one worked fine.

One thing about Smartphones is that you can never close programs, they only get minimized. Having to constantly bring up the task manager to kill things was very clunky. I quickly got tired of that and invested $15 into a utility called xbar3 which is a task switcher, killer and added cut and paste capability. This made the device much, much more useful. The built in task and calendar apps are pretty weak. I downloaded the trial of Papyrus and this was a huge jump up in usability, but still irritating that I had to look to a 3rd party app to get decent functionality. I also tried the FaÁade today screen plug-in and this is a pretty slick program as well.

The built in WM player is pretty basic with lousy play list support and it skipped playing movies back. I downloaded the tcmp player and it worked just fine for music and got rid of the movie skipping. Again, another app that I needed to make the device more usable but itís free so I didnít grumble too much. The built in email program is pretty Spartan and kind of clunky to use but I thought I could live with it.

The acid test was a 5 day business trip I took last week. The device was loaded up and ready to go.

I had immediate trouble with email. The mail program randomly froze when moving back and forth between menus and while it never crashed, I had to switch to another program and switch back to unfreeze it. Aside from that, the device worked okay, but it got tiresome with how many clicks it took to do anything useful. Then I ran into my first major problem. I received a 20 page Word document I needed to review and opened it in the Q. The viewer does not appear (at least I couldnít find anything on it) to have any way of wrapping text. So you can zoom out to see an entire line but it is so small you canít read it. If you zoom in enough so that text is legible, the page exceeds the screen width and you must constantly scroll back and forth with the d-pad to read a line! This is completely useless. I had a few people I traveled with try to see if they could find any way to make it work and they couldnít either. I finally said screw it and used my laptop to review the document. I wasnít happy but still was trying to limp along. I opened up Outlook and couldnít figure out where all my emails were. It then dawned on me that my Q had suddenly decided to download and remove emails from the Exchange Server. I couldnít figure out what happened because I had previously checked to make sure this didnít happen. I was really getting irritated so I did a hard reset on the Q and reconfigured the email. It worked as expected after that, leaving the mail on the server.

By this time I was fed up. I got back last night and was at Verizon first thing this morning to trade the Q in for a 700p. It cost me another $200 but I just could not live with the many, many issues with the device. It is a great phone with a superb form factor, but it has too many problems. Some of them can be solved by 3rd party apps but why should they be needed? I hope all the 700p lives up to all the good reviews it has been getting. It canít be more aggravating than the Q was (at least I hope not!). I havenít used a Palm since the old IIIx days so I am pretty rusty on it, but they arenít hard devices to use.

I had the same experience. I like the Q, but had too many little issues that were not worth keeping. I also had similar issues on the Treo 700w as well (which I still own). I returned my Q in for the 700p the other day. I also had the Q for about a week. I used to have the 600 & 650, so it's actually nice to back on the PalmOS. Like one post said, they all have there issues. I have gotten used to all the Treo issues from every release they had. At the same time, the 700p is a solid upgrade. I like having the EVDO and the 700w form factor. Though I like WM5 a lot, I still think the PalmOS on the Treo is the best combo of phone/pda.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Returned my Q yesterday after a week of use. I thought as a phone the device was great with excellent call quality and very decent downlod speeds with only one bar of service showing. However, just could not get over switching from Sprint where I get an incredible deal with 3500 minutes, Power Vision and a second line for less than the voice plan with Verizon. Unlike others here, I really struggled with returning the Q because for what I use a device for and the form factor it was great. Oh and kept the 700p
    The Q should be great for non-power users wanting a smartphone, not a PDA. The Q has no touchscreen and cannot run many WM5 PDA apps. It is the 'smartphone' edition of WM5, not the PDA edition. But it is a slick little device for its limitations. Power users who need true PDA functionality might prefer a 6700 WM5 phone or 700p.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I thought long and hard about the 6700, but someone at work talked me out of it. It is too hard to use one handed and the voice quality is pretty mediocre on it, but it is a great PDA. It's taking me a bit to find my way around the 700p, but I'm slowly catching on.
    what in god's name is a "power-user?"
    I also returned my Q Sunday morning and got a 700P. No looking back for me. Posted some of my thoughts in another thread here
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    what in god's name is a "power-user?"
    Those who take advantage of full or advanced functionality. Moto Q will not be as attractive to power users - no touch screen and many WM5 apps will not run. It's a stripped down version of the PDA version of WM5.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Those who take advantage of full or advanced functionality. Moto Q will not be as attractive to power users - no touch screen and many WM5 apps will not run. It's a stripped down version of the PDA version of WM5.
    You've stated twice "many WM5 apps will not run" on the Q. What apps are you referring to?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    That's one opinion. I consider myself a power user, but I also believe in using the right device for the job. I don't need word document edition on a handheld, that's what a laptop is for. I don't need large touchscreen area on a PDA, I need one-handed operation with seamless phone integration for use on the go, etc...

This is the age old issue of people insisting that you have to have the biggest feature list on a device to be a power user or the device to be "adequate". This is B.S.. You need a device and features that do the job for you. If you want a full featured WM5 PDA, good for you. But for others a Treo or a Q might be the right device.

FYI, the Q does not "not run some WM5 apps". The is WM5 PocketPC and WM5 smartphone. Despite Microsoft's claims a few years ago, these are still two seperate OS. You can expect a device on one OS to run apps from another OS. The problem isn't the Q, it's Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    You've stated twice "many WM5 apps will not run" on the Q. What apps are you referring to?
    I am guessing here but Windows Mobile 5 apps for Smartphone will work on Pocket PC's but only some WM5 apps for PPC will run on Smartphones. They are not forwards and backwards compatible. I found that out the hard way when I tried out the SDA with T-mobile.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I wish Motorola would just make a bid for Palm, then we would get the Qeo.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I wish Motorola would just make a bid for Palm, then we would get the Qeo.
    Qeo would be great. I loved the form of the Q, but needed the palm os.
    I bought a Q today from Verizon to try out. I have 14 days to return it, it's going back. Doesn't even come close to my 700p
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doctoss
    Qeo would be great. I loved the form of the Q, but needed the palm os.
    I wanted the form factor of the Q and the usability of the Treo.
    Last edited by naivete; 06/12/2006 at 12:52 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast