Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's what's inside that counts The form factor of the Q is great, but I was really expecting it to be much thinner than my 700p, it's thinner, but not anything that would make me choose it over a Treo.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I played around with a Q at Verizon inside Circuit City. Nice, thin and light. UI not bad, no touch-screen sux, reminds me of my old BB 7250, although I like the Q much better. I guess the Q would be a find buy "if" you never owned a Treo, but if you are a Treo user and move to the Q you may be disappointed. Try the W instead.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    My understanding is that WM5 PPC programs work only on it, and WM5 Smartphone programs work only on it. You can't run a WM5 Smartphone program on a WM5 PPC.

Good old Microsoft!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    I am guessing here but Windows Mobile 5 apps for Smartphone will work on Pocket PC's but only some WM5 apps for PPC will run on Smartphones. They are not forwards and backwards compatible. I found that out the hard way when I tried out the SDA with T-mobile.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Ewwwww! I tried a Treo 700w for a month and I hated it! It was so bad in functionality, bugs, limited memory, that I was willing to swallow the termination fee just to get rid of it. The Q is easier to use and more stable than the 700w I tried any day.

Of course the 700p is more functional than either. But Q is a really nice form factor with a great phone and great bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    I played around with a Q at Verizon inside Circuit City. Nice, thin and light. UI not bad, no touch-screen sux, reminds me of my old BB 7250, although I like the Q much better. I guess the Q would be a find buy "if" you never owned a Treo, but if you are a Treo user and move to the Q you may be disappointed. Try the W instead.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    It is easy to blame microsoft for the problems of Q. However, I think motorola is not blame-free either. After all, it was motorola who decided to put the WM Smartphone OS on the Q, not microsoft.

And I believe that motorola chose the smartphone edition of the WM OS so that it can achieve the low price point and the thin form factor. Had motorola chosen the Pocket PC edition, they could not have come out with the Q in its current price point and form.
    Q is a sleek phone that does compete with BlackBerry. But it is not in the same class as 700p or Windows Mobile PDA edition since the Q is not a full blown PDA.

Nice phone for the price though.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    The Q must be targetting BlackBerrys, not treos.

And that's fine- plenty of people just need a phone that can send/receive email and sync with a pc.
    I want a Q very badly or a 700W. As soon as Sprint has either my 650 goes to my wife. I am about 50% of the way there to switching to Verizon for the Q. Guess I am not a power user but I'd like to be back on WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett
    The Q must be targetting BlackBerrys, not treos.

And that's fine- plenty of people just need a phone that can send/receive email and sync with a pc.

you my friend nailed it.
    Funny how these user experiences with the Q remind me of my love/hate of Motorola's Last Great Attempt (IMO) the MPx220. I loved that thing as a piece of hardware and as a phone it was superb but after that . . . .
    I would imagine that's because the Q is essentially the same thing with a different form factor and an updated OS. Yes it has a keyboard, EVDO, and some other upgrades but it is still WM Smartphone with no touchscreen (which can begin to greatly limit you once you get past the basic phone/email/internet functions).
    that is also correct. but if all you need is phone, email, and internet, why would you want it in a larger, heavier, and less stable form-factor?
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    The Q should be great for non-power users wanting a smartphone, not a PDA. The Q has no touchscreen and cannot run many WM5 PDA apps. It is the 'smartphone' edition of WM5, not the PDA edition. But it is a slick little device for its limitations. Power users who need true PDA functionality might prefer a 6700 WM5 phone or 700p.
    Depends upon your definition of "power user".

With the builtin PIM the device is pretty good. I don't like the included email client, but that's coming over from Chatter on the Treo which is really good.

However, with Goodlink installed on the Q you have "true PDA" (personal digital assistant" functionality IMO.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12