1.    #1  
    You know I was seriously thinking about upgrading to the 700w instead of the 700p b/c of the WM skype client, except for the fact that you can only use the speakerphone or wired headset. (btw, any workaround for this yet)?

But can you imagine the utility of this on the Treo? IF you buy a local SkypeIN number for ~$36/yr, you can receive and make unlimited calls to anywhere in US/Canada for free since skypeout is free for NA calls. All you would then need is an unlimited data plan from your wireless provider which would anywhere between $15-40 bucks a month depending on the provider (plus $3/month for skypeIn).

If this were possible, I would totally get rid of my voice plan with my wireless carrier and forever walk away from any kind of voice minute restrictions!

Personally, I truely believe this is the future of the wireless industry. The time when consumers are limited by the number of voice minute buckets are OVER!! In fact I already have Skype setup on my Axim X50v, and was seriously considering getting a CF data aircard to use with skype, but would love to have a client for the 700p instead!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    We all would like this ability
    Jimmie Geddes
    control by providers has a lot to do with why you can't wifi either, and why the carriers were deeply suspicious and dragged their feet on bluetooth.

the kind of inovations you speak of will hit gsm first -- as they always have -- because of the hugely larger base of users and the tradition of carriers allowing users to buy and use gsm devices over which the carriers have had no say in productions and specs.

I make a lot of international calls and I am keenly aware of the way US carriers jealously guard their revenue stream by limiting options. [Incidently both sprint, even with its "international plan" AND skype rip you off big time on terminate to mobile charges by doubling the actual rate. Skype, vonage and sprint are all twice as expensive as simple 1010987 alls to mobiles in europe.]

it is just a matter of time before fully functional voip via unlimited data plan and wifi are properly integrated into a device. but it will come on gsm, where a consumers drive a lot of handset specs and capabilities, and not on cdma where carriers can stop any innovation.

do you thihk bluetooth is crippled only to reduce laptop AND PC tethering? do you think the cardslot has wifi left out only to make you buy a data plan? no. if these were not crppled someone woudl maek a bluethooth handset or even headset that functioned as a voip device that you could pair and thereby never use any minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero
    do you thihk bluetooth is crippled only to reduce laptop AND PC tethering? do you think the cardslot has wifi left out only to make you buy a data plan? no.
    Isnt it possible though?

if these were not crppled someone woudl maek a bluethooth handset or even headset that functioned as a voip device that you could pair and thereby never use any minutes.
    Isnt it possible in this instance that it physically can't be done (i.e. taking the radio in a T650 and 'hacking' it to work on the evdo network). Some things just can't be fixed but that doesnt preclude a company for doing something on purpose to keep making more money.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Sprint won't let you have a data only plan.
    http://www.planetmills.com/images/t2gungho.jpg So that's what a Marine looks like.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    control by providers has a lot to do with why you can't wifi either, and why the carriers were deeply suspicious and dragged their feet on bluetooth.

the kind of inovations you speak of will hit gsm first -- as they always have -- because of the hugely larger base of users and the tradition of carriers allowing users to buy and use gsm devices over which the carriers have had no say in productions and specs.

I make a lot of international calls and I am keenly aware of the way US carriers jealously guard their revenue stream by limiting options. [Incidently both sprint, even with its "international plan" AND skype rip you off big time on terminate to mobile charges by doubling the actual rate. Skype, vonage and sprint are all twice as expensive as simple 1010987 alls to mobiles in europe.]

it is just a matter of time before fully functional voip via unlimited data plan and wifi are properly integrated into a device. but it will come on gsm, where a consumers drive a lot of handset specs and capabilities, and not on cdma where carriers can stop any innovation.

do you thihk bluetooth is crippled only to reduce laptop AND PC tethering? do you think the cardslot has wifi left out only to make you buy a data plan? no. if these were not crppled someone woudl maek a bluethooth handset or even headset that functioned as a voip device that you could pair and thereby never use any minutes.
    In the case of the POS Treos, wifi isn't there simply because Palm won't add it. From what I understand, adding wifi to a Treo would require a complete rewrite of the telephony stack in the treo, and Palm doesn't think wifi is important enough to do so.

As far as wifi on other smartphones, I don't think carriers are too worried about it. The 6700 from Sprint and Verizon support wifi, as does the MDA and SDA from T-Mobile. Cingular's 8125 also has wifi. The 700w supports wifi via an SDIO card. Wifi is starting to become part of modern US smartphones, Palm just doesn't keep up with its competitors because it doesn't need to.

As far as bluetooth, I don't think the carriers were really worried about BT affecting data plans (this is just my logic speaking though, I don't know what they actually though), it's not like they couldn't just disable BT dun (I believe Verizon has done this to some of their phones).

To the OP, I'm not sure which carrier you have, but I don't think Sprint or Verizon allows you to have a data only, unless you have an aircard. I'm not too sure on this, but last time I checked (at least with Sprint), you have to have a voice plan in order to have a data plan on a phone enabled device.

millsda2...what exactly is your post about?
    Quote Originally Posted by millsda2
    http://www.planetmills.com/images/t2gungho.jpg So that's what a Marine looks like.
    You havent seen one before?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    In the case of the POS Treos, wifi isn't there simply because Palm won't add it. From what I understand, adding wifi to a Treo would require a complete rewrite of the telephony stack in the treo, and Palm doesn't think wifi is important enough to do so.
    Is this going to change if/when Palm puts out a different OS?

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You know I was seriously thinking about upgrading to the 700w instead of the 700p b/c of the WM skype client, except for the fact that you can only use the speakerphone or wired headset. (btw, any workaround for this yet)?
    It's not that great - I had it on my 700w and found it more novel than useful. In the end, the pain of using WM5 made me move back to the 700p as soon as possible (i'd still use my 650 were it not for EVDO and tethering)

But can you imagine the utility of this on the Treo? IF you buy a local SkypeIN number for ~$36/yr, you can receive and make unlimited calls to anywhere in US/Canada for free since skypeout is free for NA calls. All you would then need is an unlimited data plan from your wireless provider which would anywhere between $15-40 bucks a month depending on the provider (plus $3/month for skypeIn).
    Unlimited usage to me is more hype than substance - most folks are nearly there with free nights / weekends plus a thousand or so minutes for daytime usage. I use my phone for work and never exceeed a thousand or so minutes - that's nearly 4 hours on the phone M-F. Even with conference calls I don't exceed my time.

Skype is only free until the end of the year offically - sooner or later they will need to recoup their costs for connecting to landlines and running infrastructure.

Now for international calls I'd love a Skype client; especiall with a GSM phone where you could "data roam" by buying a local SIM and keep the SkypeiN number.

I could also see a SkypeToTalk with Skype clients used to replicate PushToTalk functionality especially since Skype to Skype is free everywhere.

If this were possible, I would totally get rid of my voice plan with my wireless carrier and forever walk away from any kind of voice minute restrictions!

Personally, I truely believe this is the future of the wireless industry. The time when consumers are limited by the number of voice minute buckets are OVER!! In fact I already have Skype setup on my Axim X50v, and was seriously considering getting a CF data aircard to use with skype, but would love to have a client for the 700p instead!
    To me it's a question of reliability and coverage. If you're in a wifi ara a lot it might be useful; but what happens if you travel out of range - it won't swap networks like a cell does towers, and wifi cooveraeg is very spotty.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like unlimited minutes; just that the market really doesn't need them and since wireless providers make money off of tiered plans they aren't likely to go away.

Go Bucks.