1.    #1  
    Hello!

After trying out ALL the trial stock relate software available
    on ALL the palm software websites, I've narrowed down to
    two:

- Stock Manager
    - Stock Broker

Both work well, and amazingly, both have very similar interfaces.

I'm partial to Stock Broker, as it has support for downloading
    historical charts AND also has auto download feature at
    preset intervals. Stock Manager does not have either feature
    as of now.

Just to muddle things up, Stock Broker comes in TWO
    flavours: The Std version (~ 20 USD) and a Pro version
    (~35 USD). I, having searched far and wide on the internet
    and the developer's website (www.jabesoft.com), am unable
    to figure out the differences between the two. The price
    difference is large and the Pro version must have something
    that the Std version does not have. I have both trial versions
    on my Treo and just can't figure this one out.

If any of you have any clues to this please do post here with
    your suggestions.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/10/2006 at 07:30 AM.
    Game over!
    Looks interesting.

They need to add one of those comparison charts to their web site to describe the feature differences between the two versions. But, it appears that there are more charting options in the Pro version from the screen shots. Did you find that to be the case?

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    But, it appears that there are more charting options in the Pro version from the screen shots. Did you find that to be the case
    You are right...

The Pro version has options to display moving averages
    in the stock charts. Other than that, and some minor
    differences in the chart display, they are similar. The
    trial versions have 3 months (Pro) and 1.5 months (Std)
    data downloads. Don't know how the licensed versions
    work, but the graphs have a maximum display for 6 months
    (both versions), though the Pro version has scroll arrows
    maybe for displaying data for longer timeframes.

The only reference to the differences is this: "We have
    made some code optimizations as well, so the speed
    performance should be better."

- mvk

PS: I'd like to purchase from T|C - having learnt so much
    from these forums - but they don't seem to have the Std
    version (I'm leaning towards the Std version one). PalmGear
    and PalmSource have both versions.
    Game over!
    I use and like Stock Manager..mainly for just keeping tabs on how a few stocks are doing, gain and lost on stocks if you told the program you own them and keeping a each stock's performance chart. You can do more I'm sure..

Haven't tried Stock Broker, but for what I use it for it's serves me well.
  5.    #5  
    So I finally got Stock Broker Pro for a 20% discount at
    Palm Infocenter.

This, despite "JabeSoft" sounding too close to "jaeb saaf",
    which in Hindi means "clean pocket" (of money).

(jaeb = pocket, saaf = clean)

The one shortcoming I noticed right off is SBPro does not
    allow sorting of stock lists other than alphabetically by name.

- mvk
    Game over!
  6.    #6  
    Ver 2.0.6 (the one I have) still has the preferrences problem,
    despite the software listing explicitly claiming that this problem
    has been fixed (for the Treo 650). (every reset deletes the
    serial number, settings and auto-update information; it's a damn
    nuisance, considering the number of resets (5, 10...) involved)

For people trading outside the US, you may face problems with
    some information not being displayed (esp. Change and %Change)

I've written to the developers and have received a favourable
    response from them. But in the meanwhile, the software is
    not very unusable, though it does pull-in the current stock prices.

The irony is that the Trial version (2.0.4) seemed to work ok,
    but had limited functionality.
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Ver 2.0.6 (the one I have) still has the preferrences problem,
    despite the software listing explicitly claiming that this problem
    has been fixed (for the Treo 650). (every reset deletes the
    serial number, settings and auto-update information; it's a damn
    nuisance, considering the number of resets (5, 10...) involved)

For people trading outside the US, you may face problems with
    some information not being displayed (esp. Change and %Change)

I've written to the developers and have received a favourable
    response from them. But in the meanwhile, the software is
    not very unusable, though it does pull-in the current stock prices.

The irony is that the Trial version (2.0.4) seemed to work ok,
    but had limited functionality.
    GreenHex, Did you ever manage to get the bug fixed in the pro version? I have had Stock Manager for a long time and it's a great little program (allows sorting) and solid on the 700p but weak on graphs. I am looking at Charts right now (just downloaded) which looks like it works without that reset bug (that might be a little unbearable at this point). Charts does have great looking charts and is simple enough for the Treo.

Thanks!
    Last edited by copernicus; 07/12/2006 at 01:09 AM.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=118158

I thot you had it near figured out in the above

After reading these threads I am no longer bullish nor bearish but piggish !
    I registered Charts because it complements Stock Manager very well. I really haven't looked at Stock Broker yet but I got the impression it wasn't very strong in the charting department from the pictures on PalmGear and at the JabeSoft site (it seems like a work in progress). When one adds a symbol, Charts downloads several months worth of historical data and puts it up in a very carefully thought out way. The charts are visually very appealing as well as being very functional. It can update individual stocks, all stocks, or all stocks in a watchlist at predetermined intervals and, although I don't think I will be using this much, seems to work without a hitch on the 700p. I didn't spend to much time with the CanSlim feature as I understood this to be paid service (pricey) and it is not in a format that I would feel comfortable with. Thanks for the pointer to the additional thread, I think I understood that the issue is not quite resolved, and the piggish part.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    GreenHex, Did you ever manage to get the bug fixed in the pro version?
    Yeah! by conincidence, it was only today that I received the preferences bug-fixed version (that I am supposed to test and report back). Everything appears to work fine with this latest version.

The change and %change bug was fixed a few weeks back.

- mvk
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    Charts downloads several months worth of historical data and puts it up in a very carefully thought out way. The charts are visually very appealing as well as being very functional. It can update individual stocks, all stocks, or all stocks in a watchlist at predetermined intervals and
    Does Charts download directly to the Treo? The description is not very clear but does state that "The HotSync downloads all the necessary information from the Internet and then uploads it to your handheld." (I just don't want to go through the trouble of installing the trial...)

I agree that the Charts layout appears to be better thought out than SBPro.

- mvk
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Does Charts download directly to the Treo? The description is not very clear but does state that "The HotSync downloads all the necessary information from the Internet and then uploads it to your handheld." (I just don't want to go through the trouble of installing the trial...)

I agree that the Charts layout appears to be better thought out than SBPro.

- mvk
    Thanks for the update. Please keep me posted with how you end up feeling about Stock Broker.

When I first downloaded Charts, I almost deleted it because, like Stock Manager, it seemed that it would update (on the Treo) only the price for the day and provide a chart, in time, of the days one had bothered to update/hotsync on. Fortunately, before deleting it, I did a hotsync. It then downloaded several months of historical data in really nice charts (including the option for candlesticks in certain views which clinched it for me). After one hotsyncs, one can update incrementally either EOD or intraday from the Treo at intervals one determines in the program's preferences. I have been watching it update every half hour (very unobtrusively) three stocks out of about twenty that picked out and have in a watchlist. The historical data does not seem to take up much room at all (I have it all in main memory, about 20 stocks). Of course, you don't want to go crazy with this or things will change rapidly. It is very quick to go from chart to chart and change time frames in its own particular way, and the charts are uniquely designed with special consideration for small screens (excellent). It is definitely worth a download if you have an interest in technical analysis. After downloading put in three stock symbols (the limit in the trial version), then do a hotsync. You can then begin exploring the program in a meaningful way. I haven't yet seen a way to download historical data directly from the Treo. I suspect that a hotsync is necessary for that.

One thing that is a little slow is when one taps on a symbol to get a quote, it takes a few seconds to come up. I imagine it is somehow linked to the amount of historical data on the device. Also, I can't make sense of some of the volume numbers provided in the quotes yet. All in all and so far however, I'm *very* happy with these beautiful charts, especially at the price.