1.    #1  
    I got the 700p. Live in Bay Area where we get EV-DO. I mostly got the 700p to check financial news during my commute and I may have expected too much but after a couple of days of use I'm disappointed. I cannot check headline news on a portfolio save in yahoo for example. I can check all the quotes for the portfolio, but I see no link for headlines. It also seems to not handle a lot of other sites well. I'm considering just starting to use it as a modem for a laptop instead. Are there mroe capable browsers for the 700p or am I just expecting too much from a small screen device?
    I didnt think it was the evdo connection but the processor/ram in the 700p. I dont know but does xiino work on it?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Xiino works, although I found the improvement rather marginal. Blazer probably has the best compatibility overall, with still pretty good speed.

I've been working with Opera Mini lately and i really like it. Make sure you increase your Stack and Cache to a nice high level though, and double buffer your java virtual machine.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I think that one of the Treo's worst applications is the browser. It is even worse that you can't really buy one that fully gets the jobs done. Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile is much better but even it has serious limitations. I guess they don't understand that while not everyone wants or needs full functionality in their browser the vast majority want the option. We're buying $600+ phones! We'll pay for it! Heck...we already have...
    Yeah that would be nice with an evdo connection.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus
    Xiino works, although I found the improvement rather marginal. Blazer probably has the best compatibility overall, with still pretty good speed.

I've been working with Opera Mini lately and i really like it. Make sure you increase your Stack and Cache to a nice high level though, and double buffer your java virtual machine.
    This is my first treo and I don't have access to the manual right now. Is this easy to do and are the instructions in the manual?
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile is much better but even it has serious limitations.
    One of us is smoking the good stuff, my friend.

IE of WM5 is a crappy, slow browser with limited javascript support. Blazer 700p beats the crap out of it IMO. Now if you want to compare NetFront with Blazer, that's a different story.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    IE is crap. I've had a ppc6700 and now the Motorola Q and can tell you it doesn't even come close to Blazer.
    Jimmie Geddes
    One thing to try is the google mobile browser optimizer...

google.com/gwt/n
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I don't think your expectations are too high. I think mobile "smart" phone provider standards are too low. Its 2006. How long have we had Treos now? A few years at least. How much have we paid for these devices? We now have EVDO high speed internet access with our 700P... DSL speeds on a mobile device. This is great. Of course, the downside is that when I open up a browser to take advantage of this high speed internet access I get a bunch of oversized images and badly formatted text. Its like having a house on the beach with mud all over your windows. You have a great location but you can't see the damn view! Seriously, what's so hard about miniaturizing everything so that the browser looks like it would when you browse from your local desktop? Or at least having the text smaller so that everything looks like an actual webpage?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Treo and I think its still the best mobile smart phone offering to date. Thats still no excuse for such slow movement in the mobile web browser space, as well as the lack of innovation in general since the 650. I can't believe I have to pay for replacement fonts and pay even more if I want them antialiased!
    Quote Originally Posted by akakak
    This is my first treo and I don't have access to the manual right now. Is this easy to do and are the instructions in the manual?
    Thanks for all the replies.
    [Assuming you are talking about installing Opera Mini and change the JVM settings]
    First you have to install the IBM virual machine and Opera Mini. Search the forum for where to find them. Then you need to go to the "IBM Java VM" category of the "prefs" app and change the settings as outlined above.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnclePunk
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Treo and I think its still the best mobile smart phone offering to date. Thats still no excuse for such slow movement in the mobile web browser space, as well as the lack of innovation in general since the 650. I can't believe I have to pay for replacement fonts and pay even more if I want them antialiased!
    I agree with this completely.
    I wasn't dissapointed until I used my friends 6700 which was way faster than my 700. I was pretty impressed. Some of you say IE is crappy, what exactly is wrong with it?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnclePunk
    I don't think your expectations are too high. I think mobile "smart" phone provider standards are too low. Its 2006. How long have we had Treos now? A few years at least. How much have we paid for these devices? We now have EVDO high speed internet access with our 700P... DSL speeds on a mobile device. This is great. Of course, the downside is that when I open up a browser to take advantage of this high speed internet access I get a bunch of oversized images and badly formatted text. Its like having a house on the beach with mud all over your windows. You have a great location but you can't see the damn view! Seriously, what's so hard about miniaturizing everything so that the browser looks like it would when you browse from your local desktop? Or at least having the text smaller so that everything looks like an actual webpage?

Perhaps when more Web sites adopt the ".mobi" format, browsing will be much, much easier and faster.
    I found a great combination. Use a YAHM font manager to set the browser font to Tahoma 8 point. It looks great, and really enhances the browsing experience.. (Paying for it is worth it in my opinion).

Fonts are still one of Palm's big issues that they need to resolve in PalmOS... I suspect that they are punting on this issue until they have a Linux based PalmOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    I found a great combination. Use a YAHM font manager to set the browser font to Tahoma 8 point. It looks great, and really enhances the browsing experience.. (Paying for it is worth it in my opinion).

Fonts are still one of Palm's big issues that they need to resolve in PalmOS... I suspect that they are punting on this issue until they have a Linux based PalmOS.
    Hmm... YAHM isn't a font manager it's an OS5 hack manager. Perhaps you're talking about FontSmoother which uses YAHM or Fonts4OS5 which doesn't?

FontSmoother is nice because it has the ability to do antialiased fonts (it's not perfect though) and Fonts4OS5 is nice because it allows you to keep your fonts on the card until they're needed. You can even get the benefits of both if you purchase both products but if I only bought one I would pick FontSmoother because of the antialiasing.
    FontSmoother, yes... see this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=117686