Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I asked this in the app forum but got no reply. So ls there any software like this out for the Treo? I know there is a bar code scanner software that helps with inventory and stuff. If that is out surely there must be a software for what I am looking for? I want to be able to take a picture of a number or business card and use the information with out manually adding it. Thank you.
  2. #2  
    Think about what you are asking for. You want to take a picture and have a software program pull out the text and the appropriate fields, from business cards that have all different formats. Impossible, even for a computer. If someone put a bar code on their business card, may you could do this.
  3. Bumble's Avatar
    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Think about what you are asking for. You want to take a picture and have a software program pull out the text and the appropriate fields, from business cards that have all different formats. Impossible, even for a computer. If someone put a bar code on their business card, may you could do this.
    While i don't know of any program for a treo that can do this, it can be done. The samsung MM-A800 can do this. Its listed under Business Card Scan about half way down the feature list. I never owned the phone, but when i demoed it for a couple days i had no issue using that feature
  4. #4  
    I think what is being done is to use a scanner. That is available, at least for a computer, but I don't think you could just take a picture and input the data.
  5.    #5  
    I understand what everone is saying but I have seen specific software for the Treo that will make the camera work as UPC inventory scanner and I assumed that what I was refering to possible.

    Software I am refering to: http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...67182&R=167182
  6. #6  
    the samsung A940 can take a picture of a business card and enter the info as a contact, so yes it can be done. Never seen the likes for the treo though. At least not yet.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77
    I understand what everone is saying but I have seen specific software for the Treo that will make the camera work as UPC inventory scanner and I assumed that what I was refering to possible.

    Software I am refering to: http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...67182&R=167182
    Very interesting. Maybe a business card from a photo is not that far down the road. However, I still think that the different formats of business cards would create a problem for the software.
  8. Bumble's Avatar
    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Very interesting. Maybe a business card from a photo is not that far down the road. However, I still think that the different formats of business cards would create a problem for the software.
    The samsung mmA800 had almost no issues with different types of business cards, and that phone came out about a year ago. I would just put the card on the table, go into the business card app, and take the picture. All the info was the in a new contact.
  9. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #9  
    CardScan has been out for years.
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.
    It includes a business card scanner so you can't just snap pics with your Treo. It's also very expensive but that's for you, the purchaser, to decide...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  10.    #10  
    Thank you but that isn't exactly what I am looking for as it is not camera and software based?
  11. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77
    Thank you but that isn't exactly what I am looking for as it is not camera and software based?
    I understand but think that's probably the closet you're going to get...
    Good luck...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  12. #12  
    Cardscan is super handy because it now has an autosynch with palm feature. Before you had to sych with the treo itself but now it syncs with the desktop. Basically you scan in the business card and then click on a button that synchs that info with your palm deskop and it does so within seconds. The software also double checks for duplicates. No need to synch with the treo because it simply synchs with the desktop palm software. Very easy and very fast. Earlier versions you had to disable palm conduit which was a pain. Now it syncs with the desktop software.
  13. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #13  
    Phones on other OSes can do business card scanning (SE P990, P1i; Moto A1200/Ming, the Nokia E61i?, and some Asian WinMob phone that may or may not have made it to market... and these are just the ones with it built-in).

    I've only tried with a couple of them, and I've seen enough to know the results vary.

    My big question is this: is the big stumbling block the camera resolution/macro mode? Or is there more?

    While I'd love to see a card scanning solution available for the Treo, I wonder if we'll have it before Nova-based models are out.

Posting Permissions