1.    #1  
    Didn't read about this, but was thrilled to see a really slick and improved menu to select alternate symbols when I went to put in a "%" sign. Soooooo much better then any previous Treo.

Just trying to spread the positives!
    I agree.

Speaking of positives, I was in messaging the other night and went to find a contact I thought I had, but didn't. I went into contacts to add it and when I went back to messaging to send it had automatically selected the new contact. Neat!
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbeat
    Didn't read about this, but was thrilled to see a really slick and improved menu to select alternate symbols when I went to put in a "%" sign. Soooooo much better then any previous Treo.

Just trying to spread the positives!
    Gread improvement/
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Ya I know. I tried to get a line of postings showing the improvements in the new OS but it petered out.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    forgive my ignorance, but how do you bring up this menu to select symbols? Is this program specific?
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    forgive my ignorance, but how do you bring up this menu to select symbols? Is this program specific?
    Type any letter or symbol in a text field and then press the Alt key. The symbols available and the one that is highlighted for seleciton will vary based on the key you typed before pressing Alt.

You can then use the 5-way navigate and center button to select a symbol...

OR

You can press the Alt key repeatedly to reach the symbol you want and press the spacebar to select -- this method works great for symbols that are the first or second choice.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
  7. jbh
    I also like having many more choices in the menu; however there seem to be several alt symbols that were available on the 650 that are NOT available on the 700p (e.g. ). Can anyone help me find these please?
    John B Harris
    Are you saying these are not ALT versions of the numerals 1,2,&3 as on the 650?
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Can you explain how the 700 has improved the alt-symbol selection compared to the 650?
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Im not gonna lie, i HATE the alt system. I don't know how it use to be, but its totally worthless for what i need it for. I tend to use a lot of underscores... and to use those, you have to type a letter, hit space, underscore, hit back, delete, then hit over... Not tryin to bash, its just totally uneffective for my needs
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I can't believe there's not some app/hack that would let us get at all the symbols easily. Seems like a good developer opportunity...
    I NEVER can remember where % is.. I gota poke around.

And why is there an alt symbol for & when it's right on the keyboard?
    Screenshots, anyone?
  14. jbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB
    Are you saying these are not ALT versions of the numerals 1,2,&3 as on the 650?
    Yes 1, 2, & 3 on the 700p brings up a new big menu with 28 (4 cols x 7 rows) alternate symbols; completely different than the 600 & 650.

Except the characters I most often use ( ) are not included as available choices!
    John B Harris
    fwiw, the on-screen keyboard is sometimes helpful, albeit limited, with some basic "symbols" (underscore , greater than, tilde, currencies, international alphabet, etc.), and graffiti is at times even faster... Meets most of my needs.
    Last edited by copernicus; 07/23/2006 at 01:32 PM.
    it was so simple and quick to access shortcuts in Graffiti (one), but with the embedded menus on the Treo after 3 years I'm still trying to figure out the logic. Every time I need "%" I just type in "pct" and move on. Seems that if we must have a keyboard-only solution, then the shortcuts should have some relation to standard keyboards in functionality.

You can access many of the shortcuts through Graffiti Anywhere, and if you install the hacked Graffiti 1 libraries it's mostly usable. It would be awesome if Grafitti Anywhere figured out how to do punctuation - a fact that presently makes the keyboard the defacto winner if you need to do much actual typing. But it's great in a pinch for no-nonsense shortcut access.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I read that Palm paid 22 million (as I recall) to settle a lawsuit involving Graffiti a short time ago (about 1 month). Perhaps we will see it re-appear in upcoming Treos; or, it may be that they just wanted to settle something that might have turned out to be more costly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu
    Im not gonna lie, i HATE the alt system. I don't know how it use to be, but its totally worthless for what i need it for. I tend to use a lot of underscores... and to use those, you have to type a letter, hit space, underscore, hit back, delete, then hit over... Not tryin to bash, its just totally uneffective for my needs
    I don't understand your post. To insert an underscore, I hit Option S which gives a dash, hit alt once, and underscore is selected.