Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    in order to use a headphone set on the treo650, it was necessary to use something like the seido music/phone extension, something to do with a resistance on the line for the phone to recognize something plugged into the headset jack. does the 700p require the same thing, or has that issue been fixed.
    thanks
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The 700p will take the same handsfree headset as the 650/600. It uses a universal 2.5mm jack.

Now, if you refer to using stereo headphones (for music I would asume) the headset in both the 650 and 700 is 2.5mm, and regular standard Headphones are 3.5mm. The adaptor was only that, a mechanical adaptor to fit a 3.5mm plug into a 2.5mm jack.

You will still need that adaptor to use your stereo headphones and listen to music...
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    thanks for the quick reply. i have the short adaptor, however i thought the stereo headphones would not work properly without a 'special' switch that is needed so the phone 'knows' to route the sound to the headphones?
    That was the 600.
    The 650 almost always detects correctly without special impedance or resistance tricks like the radio shack in-line volume control or the seidio cable.

However there may be bad news on this front.
    The 650's audio jack is cheap and wears out. Known problem. see treotricks.com.
    My solution to that was to use the stereo audio out pins from the data connector instead of the audio jack. I butchered a seidio car cradle and bought a couple desktop cradles that already had it. Worked great all year.
    So far I have not been able to make it work on the 700p. Ptunes and audible.com and everything else just comes out the built in speaker.

So when the audio jack craps out then what???
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Saw a program called headcold that allows you to send sound to jack or speaker regardless of where the phone thinks it shoud go. Guess this would be useful if your adapter doesn't make full contact after some use.

Http://headcold.sourceforge.net
    I can't hear incoming call ringtones with any wired headset. Is this normal?
    ^I guess it's normal for the 700p. Another stupid revision if you ask me. You would think that if you have a headset on, it would route all sound (ring tones, alert tones, system, etc.) to the headset. But alas, it DOES NOT. My 600 did and that's the way I like it. I wonder what the logic is behind this.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    ^I guess it's normal for the 700p. Another stupid revision if you ask me. You would think that if you have a headset on, it would route all sound (ring tones, alert tones, system, etc.) to the headset. But alas, it DOES NOT. My 600 did and that's the way I like it. I wonder what the logic is behind this.
    The logic is that a loud ringing sound in your ears is unpleasant.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    that headcold crap didnt work with my 700p. i still cant use my stereo headset.