1. kam
    This may be a strange question, but the thought occured to me after seeing some Gregg Shorthand textbooks in a used bookstore this week. Are there any software programs for the Palm OS which allow the user to input using shorthand other than Graffiti?

It just seems that if it were possible, it would greatly speed up entering text, as a stroke or two stands for a word or word combination. Would it be worth it, too hard to do, or be any better than Graffiti? Any thoughts?
    I suppose instead of using gregg to replace graffiti, you could find one of those "digital sticky notes" type of apps that would allow you to draw the gregg characters on your digitizer, and then when you were done you could retranslate it.

I would love to see other options besides Jot, and such that still use the standard alphabet. Shorthand would be great, although I don't know many people who study it anymore.

Tucson Sailors
    I was curious about this myself. Alas, though I've kept my eyes open for a couple of years, I've never spotted anything like this.

I'm sure it would be difficult to do. For one thing, I believe that some Gregg symbols are identical to each other, save how high they are relative to the baseline.
  4. kam
    Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll just keep an eye out for any software, and maybe take a look at some old shorthand book to refresh my memory as to what it's like. If it comes back to me, maybe I would try it with a sticky note app!

It's probably not worth it for a software developer, since as tucson_sailors says, not many use it nowadays. And how many would learn such a thing, anyway? I wonder.
    I think that you could use tealscript to alter Grafiti so that it fits your requirements.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    Originally posted by kam
    It's probably not worth it for a software developer, since as tucson_sailors says, not many use it nowadays. And how many would learn such a thing, anyway? I wonder.
    Perhaps more than you think.
    After all, most Palm and Visor users had to learn Grafitti, didn't they?
    I like the idea of using tealscript. Neat concept, there.

Tucson Sailors