1.    #1  
    I was excited to hear that the 700p would work easier as a modem for my powerbook.
    I didn't realize that this is another $40-60 buck plan per month. I was hoping to get out of comcast internet service.

Is there a way to use my 700p as a modem for my powerbook to get online for free?

Please help.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmusser
    I was excited to hear that the 700p would work easier as a modem for my powerbook.
    I didn't realize that this is another $40-60 buck plan per month. I was hoping to get out of comcast internet service.

Is there a way to use my 700p as a modem for my powerbook to get online for free?

Please help.
    yes...there as a long thread with a hack to disable the flag that alerts sprint.

I could search for it for you but you'll have a greater feeling of accomplishment if you find it for yourself
    The post I have seen is the Tethered mode hack!. I am not sure it is what you wanted.

In case you may not be away, you can get to the net via one way or another, or chose to pay the regular bill.

If Sprint or Verizon somehow was able to identify you for usage without pay, it may be more expensive for you in the long run.
    ronbo is a true gentleman
    ... and dutchtrumpet is a true sh*thead.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    ... and dutchtrumpet is a true sh*thead.
    Oh, and this is such brilliant contribution you have added.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    You can't get online for "free" per se, as you will need a data plan, but if you have a data plan you can tether the Treo to the Mac via USB using something called USB Modem by Mobile Stream: http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html.

Once you have that installed and running, you will see a new network port in your network preferences. Configure and enter your Verizon/Spring username and p/w along with #777 for the phone number and you're set.

If you don't have a data plan through your cellular provider, then you can't really do this.