Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I too got into a reset loop after installing the latest version of CardExport. (Got out of it with a warm reset.)

Has anyone tried Palm File Browser? http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...m_File_Browser

It's freeware, and worked fine on my T650. It's freeware. The one disadvantage is that it involves an installation on the PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    It's freeware. The one disadvantage is that it involves an installation on the PC.
    Yea, but it's not like you'd need to use it without a PC. (although I guess this would be a problem for Mac/Linux users)
    palm file transfer, a freebie that came from plam, search the forum here for more info
    Treoing & Loving it
    also check out cardreader from mobilestream. I use it on my Mac and Windows.

http://www.mobile-stream.com/cardreader.html
    Jimmie Geddes
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    Yea, but it's not like you'd need to use it without a PC. (although I guess this would be a problem for Mac/Linux users)
    Good point-- I'd only use it on my own PC. Does it work?
    so for the palm card reader, do I need to create a new port? I tried usb & said could not open port. I tried bluetooth & said connecting forever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    also check out cardreader from mobilestream. I use it on my Mac and Windows.

Yup, cardreader is soooo much better than card export imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Why is it better than the Card Export, besides the fact that it works on the 700p?
    works in background mode
    so the choice are:

Card Export II $15
    mobilestream (link above) $12
    Palm File Browser (????) Free

oh I guess this weekend I'll play around.
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
    personally i would just get a usb sd card reader --> they're faster and you don't have to carry around a hotsync cable everywhere you go.
    hi muncheroo, I do have a usb card reader (wish it was build into my laptop). but I usuually have the hotsync cable w/ me...but not usb sd card reader :-( just tested the "card reader" works great, they are running a special for "treo utility belt" USB modem and Card Reader for $29.90

is anyone else using their USB Modem? oh~ I am off searching again.

Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
    ah that's cool. i prefer the card reader because if i have to transfer files between my desktop and laptop or two laptops i can just pop the sd card out and use the card reader like a usb drive.
    I have compared Card Export and Card Reader from Mobile Stream. Under my testing, Card Reader is better by far. I had disconnects during mid file transfers with Card Export. No disconnects with Card Reader and it appears it's much faster. I have a laptop with what I think is USB 1.1. It's definitely not USB 2.0. I transferred a 100Meg avi file from my laptop to my 4GB 150x SD card in my treo using Card Reader in about 105 seconds. Loaded the rest of 24 Season 4 on without any problems or disconnects. Each episode is 100Megs. So I transferred about 2.4Gb of data without a hitch.

If USB Modem works anything like their Card Reader, I'll be getting that too. I originally installed the Tethered hack and got it working, but it stopped working recently.
    Card Export seems to be working fine on my 700p. I've definitely seen others who referenced having had trouble as well. Not sure what to make of it. The other app from mobile-stream seems good too, especially if it works in the background. Has anyone done any tests to compare transfer speed with Card Reader vs CEII. I've already paid for CEII, so I probably won't pay for another app, but I'm curious.

Also, for the OP's initial question... in my view, the key difference between CEII and Palm File Browser is the ability to use the Treo as your reader for any PC without having to install any software on the machine your using (which may or may not always be your own)--the Treo SD card becomes a lettered drive in Windows Explorer. As mentioned above, the alternate (and faster) solution with the same result is to carry a card reader with you and pop in your SD card. But I've been in a few work situations where I needed to get a file from a client and I didn't have a card reader with me. I always have my Sync/Charge cable in my laptop bag and in those situations, CEII saved me a lot of time.
    card reader is better than card export in that:
    1- its cheaper
    2 - it works fine on the 700
    3 - and you can work in background mode.

as for the free one, what if i want to connect it to someone elses pc to transfer files? i wont be able to do that without dl-ing and installing software (which one wants to add extra software)

as for getting a sd memory card reader, that doesnt make sense cause i have to carry yet another device. BUT i always have a hotsync cable on me anyway for emergency charging or when i need to get a file off someones pc...
    neither programs will see an increase in speed from usb1.1 to 2. the bottleneck is not the interface.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    Good point-- I'd only use it on my own PC. Does it work?
    Yes it works. I've been using PFB since the 650 days. Here's the URL: Palm File Browser
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by freetreo700p
    I have compared Card Export and Card Reader from Mobile Stream. Under my testing, Card Reader is better by far. I had disconnects during mid file transfers with Card Export. No disconnects with Card Reader and it appears it's much faster. I have a laptop with what I think is USB 1.1. It's definitely not USB 2.0. I transferred a 100Meg avi file from my laptop to my 4GB 150x SD card in my treo using Card Reader in about 105 seconds. Loaded the rest of 24 Season 4 on without any problems or disconnects. Each episode is 100Megs. So I transferred about 2.4Gb of data without a hitch.

If USB Modem works anything like their Card Reader, I'll be getting that too. I originally installed the Tethered hack and got it working, but it stopped working recently.
    I can second this assessment. I bought Card Export awhile back and had intermittent problems with connectivity. After it stopped working when I got my 700, I tried Card Reader and have had no problems with it. Bought it right away. I too use Mac and PC and it works fine in both OSs.
    From what I've heard, the perpetual-reset problem with Card Export II can be corrected by uninstalling it (via the uninstall option within the app itself) and then reinstalling it again. So if you already own a license to Card Export II you may want to give this a try first.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast