Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit2new
    700p on VZW, and I was getting anywhere between 111 to 168 kbps using dslreports.com/mspeed and downloadplace.com/speedtest.

I contacted VZW today and they said to use http://www.2wire.com.

I tried it and read 912.8, 761.2, 762.6, and 983.1 kbps.
    NOTE: I cleared cookies and cache after each attempt.

Please see this other thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...3&page=1&pp=20

I just checked there and BeantownTreo600 seems to have done the same upon Sprint's advise. Comment #32 has a good explanation from the site.
    Well, since these are all relative...lemme throw up my 2Wire speeds from Sprint 6700. I can't help thinking this is like shopping around till you find a server that gives you the speed you want and deciding "that's the right one!" And no, I wasn't using my Wifi, cache was clean and I got similar speeds repeatedly. What does all of this mean? Who knows...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ta77/2wire.jpg

PS Doesn't anyone still have an active 650 that they can test at DSLReports and 2Wire so we can compare those resutls as well? That'd really tell us something about these sites and accuracy.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 07/05/2006 at 07:46 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    Well, since these are all relative...lemme throw up my 2Wire speeds from Sprint 6700. I can't help thinking this is like shopping around till you find a server that gives you the speed you want and deciding "that's the right one!"
    VZW and SPRINT both recommended this site, http://www.2wire.com.
    While I don't really understand where we really stand, it is interesing to see what they recommend, (my average is around 750kbps), and dslreport + bandwidthplace.com/speedtest, (my average is about 120kbps)

Not sure how Internet explorer works on the 6700, but if I use OPERA mini, I can get 2.06 Mbps speeds.
    BUT, I was told this is because OPERA uses a Proxy.

I too would like to see some accurate results, AND how to get them.
    That's correct about Opera Mini--it's a no go on these tests. IE though definitely is not a proxy browser so it shouldn't suffer from the same confounds.

Does anyone think that maybe what 2Wire is measuring is EvDO "burst" speeds? e.g. the highest point at which you transfer data no matter how short the duration? Because that IS possible on EvDO.

But the real test is on "sustained" data rate which is, on average, between 300-500kbps and is therefore, what we are really interested in since "bursts" obviously don't last long in real life functioning.

That'd explain my 2.04mbps (which is for sustained data is impossible on EvDO) and the higher Treo scores.

As for why Verizon and Sprint recommend it? Well, it's measuring something so it's not a lie and it seems to make people feelgood about their sevice, lol (see a couple posts above).

I did another test using 2wire.com and got speeds ranging between 450 to 550 kbps. Is this speed average or not for a Sprint 700p? I'm located in San Francisco. Should I still try to call Sprint to change my HA humber?
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Hi- per this post: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=36

We timed my friend's 6700 on the 5 meg file. He got 137 seconds. I then tried my 700p and got 130 seconds (323 kbps).

(Note- when he tried 2wire, his 6700 also got a 2.04)
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo
    Hi- per this post: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=36

We timed my friend's 6700 on the 5 meg file. He got 137 seconds. I then tried my 700p and got 130 seconds (323 kbps).

(Note- when he tried 2wire, his 6700 also got a 2.04)
    are you guys in a low signal area? just curious b/c I got the file in 67 seconds (600kb/s) for the 5mb file which is on par with a 10mb video file that took me under 2 mins in a 5 bar area.

but I agree this 5mb is a much better method of testing DL speeds than those other websites (although DSLreports is in agreement with my speeds, but I guess not the 700P)

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    are you guys in a low signal area? just curious b/c I got the file in 67 seconds (600kb/s) for the 5mb file which is on par with a 10mb video file that took me under 2 mins in a 5 bar area.

but I agree this 5mb is a much better method of testing DL speeds than those other websites (although DSLreports is in agreement with my speeds, but I guess not the 700P)

Actually pretty strong signal (4, sometimes 5 bar), but we are in a downtown area and there might be a lot of traffic right now. Last night in a weak area, I got 85 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo
    Actually pretty strong signal (4, sometimes 5 bar), but we are in a downtown area and there might be a lot of traffic right now. Last night in a weak area, I got 85 seconds.
    gotcha. yeah, a downtown area with lots of people hitting that tower willd definitely affect your speed (I'm rural right now). But at least you now know you're getting EvDO speeds!

I think dslreports is severely inaccurate. Whether because of a bug in the tests, or a problem with blazer, I don't know.

I just ran the 600K test on my 700P, several times. DSL Reports says the test took 38 seconds, give or take a little, and speed was about 125K per second.

But that 38 second time is way wrong. From the time I pressed the center button on the 5 way, it took 10 seconds for the download to complete (and about 3-4 seconds of that was sending data--so the actual download was only 6 to 7 seconds). The remaining time was just waiting for Blazer to notify dslreports it was done, or for dslreports to figure it out. Most importantly, I don't see those delays when accessing normal web pages.

600K in 6 or 7 seconds (or even 10, if you want to include send time), is a whole lot faster than 38. Call it 4 times as fast, or about 500K/second, maybe.

(Another example of how unreliable DSLReports is: Running the 1MB test gives me 250K/second. Twice as fast. Somehow I don't think Blazer downloads large files faster than small ones. It's just that the impact of the lag at the end is spread over a longer total time and more bytes.)

The truth of the matter is that real world web pages load very quickly, and my email downloads very quickly. And dslreports is NOT a good measure of speed.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567