Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    RSSI: -69
    Rx Tx, Tx Adj: -73, -633, -63
    EvDO Rcve sig. Strength: 23
    EvDO Rcve power: 71

Primary HA: 68.28.121.76 (New York)
    Secondary HA: 68.28.113.76 (Pennsylvania)

I'm located in the Washington DC Metro area.

According to dslreports via blazer, I'm at 338k via their 200k test or 221K via their 600K test. I know this isn't reliable, so my question is, other than tethering, is there any way to accurately test one's speed just via the phone?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I'm a little lazy to read through this thread, but if you guys really want to understand the point of the HA, read up on Mobile-IP.

Basically, the HA is all about letting your cell phone change IPs without dropping the connection (for instance, when you take a phone call that shorter than timeout times).
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Primary HA: 68.28.121.76 (New York)
    Secondary HA: 68.28.113.76 (Pennsylvania)

I'm located in the Washington DC Metro area.
    At least Sprint is consistent with this. I'm in the DC area as well and have the same addresses.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    My HA's are:

Primary 68.28.49.77
    Secondary 68.28.57.77

Signal str: 82
    Power: 82

I am located in Southern Cal (Los Angeles)
    DC area people might want to try 68.28.241.76 or 77, which I believe is in North Carolina (based on traceroutes).
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoad
    I'm a little lazy to read through this thread, but if you guys really want to understand the point of the HA, read up on Mobile-IP.

Basically, the HA is all about letting your cell phone change IPs without dropping the connection (for instance, when you take a phone call that shorter than timeout times).
    Check out the whole thread. The HA you point to plays a major role in how you are routed.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I don't disagree w/ what you said (which is why mobile IP sucks for regular usage, though that suckage might have been eliminated in ipv6). basically you want a protocol that you can speak to the other side that says "hey, I've moved to X, so redirect all packets on our connection to X), but since both sides don't speak it, need the HA/proxy type architecture where 1 point doesn't move (the HA).
    Excuse my ignorance but I'm new to the Treo/EVDO... Does this thread apply only to Sprint or can will this work on Verizon? I have verizon and I'm not all that impressed with the EVDO speeds... Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamWasabi
    Excuse my ignorance but I'm new to the Treo/EVDO... Does this thread apply only to Sprint or can will this work on Verizon? I have verizon and I'm not all that impressed with the EVDO speeds... Thanks
    This is primarily about Sprint. While Verizon may have a similar setup I haven't seen any details about it posted anywhere.
    Currently applicable to Sprint but Verizon should also use home agents as it is a CDMA thing. When you dial ##DATA# on a Verizon phone, does it show HA IP addresses?

If so, would be nice for Verizon users to post their HAs as we may find a pattern.
    Verizon 700p users, does dialing ##DATA# show the home agent address? Please post yours.
    dslreports.com/mspeed: 200K File 397 kbit/sec, 0665s latency, 4.686s d/l time

Nashville, TN
    Primary HA: 68.28.249.76
    Secondary HA: 68.28.241.76
    Ok some of you guys are saying you need your MSL code, but going into Prefs I was able to change mine. It created a 2nd Vision with the new HA setting. The other Vision has my original. I can pick and chose which one I want to use and they both work. I don't see a technical difference between using your MSL code and my way. I get 50 added kbps with the 2nd Vision setting.
    Making a copy doesn't work for me I keep getting an error when I try to connect with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    I don't buy it at all; those look like IP addresses. Why would one be any faster than another in the same subnet? They're clearly all on the same net, so one speed would be the same as another.

Unless I'm wrong, those are just dynamically-assigned IP addresses.
    Maybe averybody's programmed to the same ones causing them to be overloaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    For the 700p, the Blazer browser is clearly the bottleneck, typically not the network. Try streaming 300Kbps video. If Blazer perf is only 200Kbps but you can stream 300Kbps or 500Kbps videos w/out skipping, you are obviously at least getting that level of performance.

For those who can do USB tethering, try testing from laptop on...

speedtest.frontiernet.net
    I started playing around with this because Orb was just not working. I would get insufficent bandwidth errors all of the time and get 1 frame every 5 seconds. Ridiculous. After doing speed tests, I was getting around 200 kbps which in my opinion is terrible and is not what is advertised. I'm not happy. So far, every HA I've tried gives about the same results. I've tried different HA's with worse results. There is apparently either something wrong with our Treo's or with the Sprint network or both. This just isn't right.
    Last edited by sndtubes; 06/13/2006 at 11:24 PM.
    I suspect it's the limitation of PalmOS. The Sprint data cards get very good performance, though 25%-30% of users can get below 400Kbps, usually due to low signal. Most get over 400Kbps and many can get over 1Mbps, including on WM5 phones...

http://www.dslreports.com/archive/spcsdns.net?1=1&p=1

The 6700 phone and A900 phone (tethered) often get >1Mbps in ideal conditions.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 06/13/2006 at 11:53 PM.
    Copying Your Power Vision Will Not Work!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    Copying Your Power Vision Will Not Work!!!!
    So how is it done without the MSL?
    I have a Motorola Q (verizon) and it hasn't gotten higher than 300kbits, while my (Sprint) Treo 700p has gone up to 450kbits. I live in NNJ and am in EV-DO at all times.
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast