Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hi kids. Our 700p review went up on TC's front page this morning. I spent literally all day yesterday writing and Editing and polishing and changing and writing and well, by the end of the day I felt like I'd run a marathon. I'm not asking for sympathy, I'm interested in your reaction to it. I was up against a very tight deadline and had a day to do it (don't ask why, that's just the way it worked out)..

We couldn't possibly cover EVERY aspect of EVERY new / changed feature of the machine, or EVERY way it differs from the 650, or EVERY product that breaks on it, or works with it, I mean the review could have been 80,000 words instead of 8000 and taken a two months to write, so at some point a writer has to say that's it. I'm done. Start the presses. I've revised a few of my parts of the review already and might revise it some more now and then as things I didn't have the time to put into it yesterday come to me.

Do ya think we left out anything important? If so, say so, but justify WHY you think it's important. I'm mainly curious if you thought it was enjoyable, informative, and fun to read. I'm not looking for nitpicks, but an overall reaction on the "Loved it / hated it " meter.

I'm always looking for feedback on my writing work. Feedback means a lot to me. I've only been writing reviews and articles for twenty years so I'm kinda new at it but give me your overall impression. And be gentle. I bruise easily.

Thanks,

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  2. mjf
    Excellent review Harv; kudos. Balanced, objective, informative, comprehensive without being overly bogged-down. Adding the link to the Palm support article on bluetooth was a nice touch. I suspect you will save many readers some valuable time.

Keep up the good work and thanks for a terrific review!
    Yeah, very well done. The only thing i found odd was that you mentioned the 700p screen was brighter and whiter then the 650, but it seems like everybody on the board is saying the opposite. You also say that the keyboard backlight and lcd backlight dont sync, but on my sprint 700p they do. I also saw one typo but cant seem to pin point it now.
    Last edited by hatch151990; 06/09/2006 at 12:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatch151990
    Yeah, very well done. The only thing i found odd was that you mentioned the 700p screen was brighter and whiter then the 650, but it seems like everybody on the board is saying the opposite. You also say that the keyboard backlight and lcd backlight dont sync, but on my sprint 700p they do. I also saw one typo but cant seem to pin point it now.
    First, thanks for the kudos. The "don't sync" comment was Michael's, not mine. He gave me his review, which I Edited and then interspersed my sections as I went down through it. Not the easiest thing to do a collaborative review of such a complex / complicated important new product, but I thought it turned out pretty well. If you find the typo again, let me know and I'll correct it. I can Edit front page articles after they're posted.

Secondly, I just shot this picture. I had to take ten shots to get this one (while the Treos' screens kept shutting off and I had to fiddle with the camera and keep turning their screens back on.. Olympus C-7000 zoom, it's a seven megapixel $600.00 "last year's model" with a bajillion menu settings and a very good imager).. I compensated for Tungsten room lighting and had to brace my elbows to get a hand-held 1/4 second shutter speed to stay in focus (I don't pretend to be 1/10th the photographer Jay Gross, who took the shots for our review is - he has forty years of writing / publishing / photographic experience and is the best lensman I have ever known, that's why I hired him to write articles and shoot pictures for TC..).. but I think this will get the idea across - I did NOT image process this picture other than to sharpen it a tad. You'll have to take my word on that. I tried to capture what I see when I set the two Treos side by side on my sofa in a pretty dark living room. Both of them set to the same position on the brightness slider. You tell me which one looks brighter. To me, the 700p is definitely brighter and doesn't have the slight blue-ish cast that the 650 does.

Remember, as I mentioned in my review, this 650 is a refurb / replacement for my original that I bought in March, 2005. As far as I know, they could have sent me a brand new 650 and NOT a refurb when they replaced it, since it has the new Sprint logo on it and it had the 1.13a ROMs in it. Although it came in a plain white box with a battery from LockLine (Sprint's replacement insurance fulfillment company).. I'm not firmly convinced it's a refurb at all. It could have been brand new stock for all I know. I've had it for about a month. I've had the 700p for a week. Which one looks brighter to you, all other things being as equal as I could possibly make them?

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/brightness.jpg

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 06/09/2006 at 01:28 AM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    A very informative and in depth review. Thank you!
    The screen is definately a little brighter...I noticed that also. Everything just looks more crisp.

hatch151990 is right, the backlight of the screen and keyboard are synched as they are on previous versions of the treo.

Beautiful review...It's too bad it wasn't there before I bought the device! I wouldn't have been so scared
    Don't get me wrong, I don't actually have a 650 (went straight from a 600 to the 700). I just thought it was odd that some forum members were commenting to the contrary. It may have something to do with different harware revs (rev A having a different screen the rev C for example). Infact, now that I think about it, I'm sure of it. I think the earlier rev 650's had a brighter, slightly bluish screen. Later revs and dimmer, brownish/yellow tinted screen.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    It's great to have a review from someone who actually knows how to use a Treo. That Chicago Tribune review was pretty frustrating because some of the features the guy said are missing from the 700p (which led him to prefer the 700w) are easy to do on the 700p if you bother to read the manual.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Best I've seen so far.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    I put my 650 and 700 next to each other and found that the 700 is definitely brighter. And Harv, good stuff out there.
    very good review, I like the fact that you and Micheal are giving 2 different points of view.

But you say in the conclusion that SprintTV is a con for the Treo? Shouldn't it be a Sprint con?
    - Jeeman
    i am thinking about a 700p but it makes me want to keep my 650. good review; thanks.
    Pretty good review, covered the major topics. I would've liked to see more about ringtones, possibly your comments about Palm's original specs on their website and then pulling a quick change when they realized they screwed up? When I bought my 700 I did so with the understanding that I'd have MP3 and video ringtones out of box, based on what was on their webpage at the time. Ergh.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I had some free time this morning so I read the complete interview. As usual, TreoCentral writers are some of the best. I like the candid comments versus the marketing type of comments you hear from the media and other organizations who aren't as familiar with Treos.

You covered all of the bases, and I learned a few things in the process. I came away feeling better about my 700p purchase. Thank you!
    Even though I won't be a 700P user for a while (thanks to my alliegiance to the dark lords of GSM), I enjoyed the review tremendously. The back and forth review style was great, as it provided the reader with two (sometimes different) perspectives of the same feature.

I also enjoyed the links your provided to existing Palm software that was how 650 users could implement the same feature that is now standard in the 700P.

The comments about the relocation of the menu key was interesting; in fact, it troubled me somewhat that Palm would feel it necessary to change key assignments and locations. I found that the key setup on the 650 was far more logical than on the 600. I adapted to the 650 keyboard very quickly, and can just imagine the colorful language that results when you realize that you've pushed the wrong button for the umpteenth time. It's ironic that the 700P's menu key is back where it was on the 600--an unnecessary regression IMO. Why fix what ain't broke?

Overall, I give the review:
    Fair and balanced, and I agree with most everything you said.

Thank you for your efforts.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

The review was fine - but skipped the question many new 700p user have mentioned - was it slow switching from program to program and opening aps?

How did the speed of the device (not the data connection) compare to the 650?

Any information you can share would be appreciated. I don't want to "upgrade" to device that feels slower in day-to-day use.

One other question: you did a great job explaining how Blazer can now stream audio and video. Can you bookmark a direct audio stream (say from a radio station) like you can in Ptunes, or do you have to load a station's full site to get the link for audio?

Thanks!
    very very nice review. I also enjoy the link to some of the 3rd party applications. Side by side photo is nice. Should include more Treo tips or tricks ;p
    I forwarded it to a few friends and told them i thought it was the best / most comprehensive / balanced review I had seen so far. Great work.
    Pretty poor review. No mention of the ptunes problems, worse low-light performance of the camera, BT carkit problems, speed/lag issues, battery problems, overclocking problems, etc. It read like it was written by a Palm employee.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast