Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bonron
    Pretty poor review. No mention of the ptunes problems, worse low-light performance of the camera, BT carkit problems, speed/lag issues, battery problems, overclocking problems, etc. It read like it was written by a Palm employee.
    I just ordered my 700p from Palm this morning...

Any chance you can extrapolate on any of these issues? I've yet to hear about any lag issues or battery problems at all.

What are you referring to in regards to overclocking? Hacking it is beyond the scope of a first look review IMHO, though perhaps down the road I may do a TreoTekniques piece about overclocking.

Cheers,

Xi
    Xious Sonenberg
    Treocentral Staff Writer
    President, Design By XS, Inc.
    http://www.designbyxs.com

See my TC writings here!

~Hallowed are the Ori!~
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Great review! Even though I already have a 700P, I learned new things from your piece. I did want to make a few comments on some pieces, though:

speeds range from 300-700 kbps; roughly ten times faster than a 56k dial-up modem, and ten times slower than a typical cable modem; just a little slower than a DSL connection.
    I hate to niggle, but cable connections and dsl range in speed depending on which service you choose, what company you're dealing with, where you are, etc. I have a cable connection now that's rated at 15Mbps, but before I switched a month or so ago, I had a 3Mbps DSL connection. In addition, these speeds are continually going up. Perhaps you might have said that it was a little slower than one of the entry-level DSL accounts that are now available for $15/month?

Sadly, the keyboard backlight is not matched up to the screen backlight and only has one setting super bright.
    Not exactly true. When you hit the option-menu to dim the screen, the keyboard light is also dimmed. So there is an intermediate level between off and on...

I also noticed you didn't mention anything about the bug in Pocket Tunes that makes it jump on a contstant basis when playing anything. That might be something to note, and possibly to actually get Normsoft to comment on - that they are working on a fix or whatever.

Also, you might have mentioned that while the 700 doesn't support Bluetooth out of the box, Softticks' Audio Gateway has provided this functionality for 650 users for several months. Unfortunately SAG's current version doesn't work on th 700, but they are said to be working on a new version which will be out in another week or two...

Again, great review, really enjoyed it! Thanks for all that work! I know first hand how laborious writing such long pieces can be!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

How come all the talk about SprintTV and MobiTV being bad, and All the hipe about slingbox, but no mention of ORB which works GREAT, and its FREE, and allows you to watch all your home tv channels if you have Media Center, plus all your recorded video.
    How do calls sound?
    The 700P could be the greatest smartphone of all time but if the calls sound like crap, is it worth it?
    A report of how the 700 P sounds on both Sprint and VZW in different areas would be welcome.
    That being said, the review was well written and informative.
    Nice job. Thanks for keeping it under 80,000 words.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detective
    Nice job. Thanks for keeping it under 80,000 words.
    If I had to write and Edit 80,000 words in one day, I'd be typing this with my nose because I'd be in a straight jacket in a rubber room

This is why (other folks asking why it didn't mention this or that) that it didn't mention this or that. But having read a lot of other 700p reviews out there, I haven't found any yet that are 8000 words long and have about three dozen photos and screen shots. Now I'm sure someone will prove me wrong and post links to a bunch of them that are longer than 8000 words and have about three dozen photos and screen shots

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Overall a great review but what really made me stand up and take notice was the revelation that the folks at Slingbox are working on a Palm version of their client. Everything I'd read in the past said they weren't going to write for the PalmOS and this news was great to hear, as my Slingbox is probably tied with my 700P for 'favorite tech gadget.'

People are always amazed at what I can do with a 'stagnant-OS' Palm device...wait until they see me pull up shows from my DV-R!
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon

I hate to niggle...
    Me learned a new word!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    One other question: you did a great job explaining how Blazer can now stream audio and video. Can you bookmark a direct audio stream (say from a radio station) like you can in Ptunes, or do you have to load a station's full site to get the link for audio?

Thanks!
    If you save the direct link to the media (Type in that long ugly URL, or
    copy and paste it) you want in Blazer's bookmarks, It will work the way you
    would like.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ComicMasta
    How come all the talk about SprintTV and MobiTV being bad, and All the hipe about slingbox, but no mention of ORB which works GREAT, and its FREE, and allows you to watch all your home tv channels if you have Media Center, plus all your recorded video.
    We didn't get to Handmark Express ("On Demand") either, which is in ROM. Like I said, there has to be a limit to any review or else it turns into a book. We weren't writing a book.

And I tried to make it quite clear that instead of getting nickeled and dimed for every channel of SprintTV (of which there are a few dozen which would cost you over $100.00 a month if you got all of them) when PalmOS Slingbox player software comes along, you could buy the box and get ALL your cable box or satellite box channels with no additional monthly cost. You're already paying your provider for them every month, why pay for "junior" versions of just some of them again? Some of the SprintTV channels are "Live." Some of them are just 2-3 minute snippets. I think the selection is pathetic, and the prices highway robbery. My teevee watching habits might be totally different from the next guy's. If SprintTV carried Turner Classic Movies I'd probably actually pay for it; I watch it more than any other channel. Maybe the next guy hates vintage films and he's a C-SPAM junkie or watches reality shows all day. Everyone's different.

I don't work for Palm, Slingbox, Sprint, or any other company whose products I review. There's no cash changing hands under the table. I work for TreoCentral and our instructions are to write objective reviews, regardless who makes or sells them. If it sucks or shines, the writers are asked to say so. But the writers are human beings, and two different people can have two different opinions about (and knowledge about) the same things. So the 700p was co-written by two people with different likes and dislikes and histories and experiences.

I was on a two hour phone call with a fellow writer last night. We were both using new 700ps. I sat and watched mine (which was plugged into its AC charger, and I was using the UME voice theBoom noise cancelling hard-wired headset..) and during the conversation as i glanced at the 700p sitting on my sofa next to me, I saw its RED charging light go on and off every few mnutes, (the battery icon had a "charging" lighting bolt through it the whole time, though..) .. without even touching or tapping the screen or any keys, I saw the screen half-dim, then go full bright, then half dim, then go off entirely, then come back on, the RED charging light would sometime be on, sometimes be off. It should have been red the whole time and then turned green when the battery fully charged, even during a call. What was going on? Was this a heat problem (they get pretty warm during a very long call), a ROM bug? Internal housekeeping? Sprint sending it some signal now and then? He was running his off his battery, but said he's seen the same thing during long calls with it on the charging cable.

Ya simply can't cover every possible aspect of such a complicated new product while comparing it to the last model in an 8000 word article, or detail every shortcut, tip and trick, function or feature of every program in that amount of space. It'd take a book. I thought a comparison was important (thus all the comparison photos) since I thought most 700p buyers would be current 650 owners. Think I'm wrong? Maybe most new 700p buyers will walk into it cold never having owned any other Treo before, but I just don't think that's the case.

Harv
    the review was great..... thanks.....
    your review was very comrehensive, but I am confused by your rating system. in the cons you listed lack of innovation but you still give it an extremely high score. I guess lack of innovation is not that important?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    your review was very comrehensive, but I am confused by your rating system. in the cons you listed lack of innovation but you still give it an extremely high score. I guess lack of innovation is not that important?
    Michael came up with the ratings, but we ageed on them, but my conclusion was that it was "evolutionary, not revolutionary" and that EVDO was the most compelling reason to buy one. I downgraded it for the unnecessary (in my opinion) moving around of important buttons versus the 650 which is the one I'm used to, and I explained why. If they had come out in reverse order (regarding the button placement) I might have said it was dumb to move them around the other way, if you know what I mean.

It isn't as innovative as it could have been. In my position as the Managing Editor and one of the writers, due to my job, and the stuff I have to review, I simply have to have one as a tool of the trade. I'm not in the same situation as the average consumer who might look at it and say naah, I don't need it, my 650's fine.

I like some of the changes, and I don't like some of the others, and I tried to explain which I liked and which I didn't like. I think it deserved the ratings it got. I wish we had a 1-10 scale instead of a 1-5 scale but the site's rating system is hard-coded on a 1-5 scale so that's what I have to deal with.

Harv
    Quote Originally Posted by xious
    I just ordered my 700p from Palm this morning...

Any chance you can extrapolate on any of these issues? I've yet to hear about any lag issues or battery problems at all.

What are you referring to in regards to overclocking? Hacking it is beyond the scope of a first look review IMHO, though perhaps down the road I may do a TreoTekniques piece about overclocking.

Cheers,

Xi
    Lots of problems with the 700p can be found by searching these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonron
    Lots of problems with the 700p can be found by searching these forums.
    Funny....I haven't had any problems yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by airoid
    Funny....I haven't had any problems yet.
    You may not run into too many if you just use the phone without additional software and never really push it. It's the rest of us who like to push our phones a bit more and use them to their fullest who are running into problems. (lag, ptunes skipping, poor benchmarks, less battery life than the 650, BT problems, etc.)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12