Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is this right? The Treocentral review of the 700P says the keyboard backlight doesn't dim with the screen: It's always at full brightness.

I can't believe Palm. The 650 exhibited this behavior when first introduced and, after much screaming from owners, Palm eventually fixed it with a ROM update. How in the world could Palm screw up and not keep the same behavior as on the current 650?

I've been debating whether to replace my 650 with a 700. I think I've decided not to, at least until Palm fixes their screwups with a ROM upgrade or two. Except for EvDO, it really seems to me like Palm screwed up at least as many things as they improved. Slow performance, PTunes doesn't work right (which I believe is a Palm issue, not a NormSoft error), and interface changes that make usability worse. Most of the non-EvDO related improvements can be duplicated (or bettered) on the 650 with 3rd party products.

Two years, $650, trivial upgrades, and they can't make the device work right? I think it's time for Palm to spin the Treo line off to an independent subsidiary run by the old Handspring crowd. I'm starting to feel Palm can't do much of anything right. Heck, Palm could get 90% of their software R&D for free, just by looking at all the 3rd party utilities that we buy to make the phone truly functional. Yet Palm can't even include basic functionality that almost every cell phone over $200 has included for several years.

I hate WinMobile. It's far more complex and cumbersome than a handheld OS needs to be. But at the rate Palm's going, it may be our only choice in a few years.

I'm really disapointed in Palm. I paid for my 600, paid to upgrade to a 650, and would pay to upgrade to a 700 if you got it right. But, as of now, my money's staying in the bank. Do you care, Palm?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    i agree
    i dont know where you got that from, my sprint 700p keyboard dims with the screen.
    I think he means to completely turn OFF the keyboard lights, instead of simply dimming (reducing) the light.

Even my mLight program doesn't work in turning off the keyboard light, it only reduces (dims) the keyboard light.

Casey
    i see what your saying, u cant turn of the keyboard backlight without turning off the lcd backlight. i never even noticed, on my old 600 the keyboard backlight would turn off after a couple of seconds of idle'ing. I think on the 700 the keyboard backlight and the screen backlight are on the same circuit so you cant cut power to one without cutting power to the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I can't believe Palm. The 650 exhibited this behavior when first introduced and, after much screaming from owners, Palm eventually fixed it with a ROM update.
    didnt see that the first time, maybe they can be controlled indivdualy
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!

mLight version 3.7.1 (latest update) does in fact turn OFF the keyboard light entirely...not just simply dim (lower) the light. Fortunately, I already paid for mLight previously for my Treo 650, so the newest version was free, and works correctly on my 700p. I think the app only costs something like $8.00 for registration for first timers.

I'm really glad the new version of mLight works correctly, because I noticed my battery was draining much faster with the keyboard light on. My keyboard light is now ENTIRELY TURNED OFF...HOORAY!

Everyone, go out and get mLight version 3.7.1 !!

Casey
    KB Lightsoff works as well to turn off the keyboard light
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!

mLight version 3.7.1 (latest update) does in fact turn OFF the keyboard light entirely...not just simply dim (lower) the light. Fortunately, I already paid for mLight previously for my Treo 650, so the newest version was free, and works correctly on my 700p. I think the app only costs something like $8.00 for registration for first timers.

I'm really glad the new version of mLight works correctly, because I noticed my battery was draining much faster with the keyboard light on. My keyboard light is now ENTIRELY TURNED OFF...HOORAY!

Everyone, go out and get mLight version 3.7.1 !!

Casey
    Hey Casey, my 700p screen doesn't dim very much at all while on a call. My 650 screen would go almost black while on a call. Is this normal and/or something mLight could correct?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Treosixoo,

Yes, the newest version of mLights absolutely works correctly in turning off the keyboard light completely. Not just dim, but to turn OFF the light entirely on the keyboard.

Casey
    My keyboard dims when I use the slider for screen brightness. Works just like my 650 did I can make the keys brighter or darker by dimming or lighting my screen.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    My keyboard dims when I use the slider for screen brightness. Works just like my 650 did I can make the keys brighter or darker by dimming or lighting my screen.

I think the previous posters are talking about turning OFF, OFF, OFF, OFF, OFF, OFF the keyboard light entirely, not just simply dimming (reducing) the amount of light on the keyboard. [duplicate word OFF for emphasis ]

In order to minimize battery drain as much as possible, you need to turn OFF the keyboard light completely, not just simply making the light dimmer/lower in intensity.

CC
    Treosixoo,

Yes, the newest version of mLights absolutely works correctly in turning off the keyboard light completely. Not just dim, but to turn OFF the light entirely on the keyboard.

Casey
    I'm talking about the SCREEN. The screen doesn't go dark like the 650 did while on a call. It will just get a little dimmer. Is this normal or not? Will mLights make the screen go dark while on a call?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I'd be really curious to hear what kind of battery life savings one gets from turning the keyboard backlight "OFF, OFF, OFF" (instead of dim.) I mean, what is it, a few more minutes?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    I'd be really curious to hear what kind of battery life savings one gets from turning the keyboard backlight "OFF, OFF, OFF" (instead of dim.) I mean, what is it, a few more minutes?
    FYI, for me it's not about battery life, it's about turning off the distracting lights. When I'm on a plane watching a movie with TCPMP I turn the screen brightness up a bit more than I usually have it and love the ability to turn off the distracting keyboard lights. That's just my opinion....

ERic
    I just put my registered version of KBLightsoff from my treo 650 on my 700p, and it works fine. I doubleclick the side button below the volume rocker to turn my kb light off or on. Not sure if anyone posted this yet.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I'm talking about the SCREEN. The screen doesn't go dark like the 650 did while on a call. It will just get a little dimmer. Is this normal or not? Will mLights make the screen go dark while on a call?

I believe you are referring to a function that is built into the 700p under the Preference/Power screen. Go to Preference, and then Power, and you will see "On a call, dim backlight after: 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc)"

I have mine set to 30 seconds, and when on a phone call, my screen will dim (reduce light intensity--not turn off) after 30 seconds, and the keyboard also lights up very dimly (from being off to dimly lit). If I tap on a button within the phone screen while on a call, the screen will then light up brightly again, and the keyboard will then go back to dark (no light at all--zero light).

I don't think mLights has the function of turning off the screen light while on a call. mLights is designed for turning off the keyboard, not the screen, as far as I know. I don't know if it's possible turning off the screen light completely while on a call...mine doesn't do this.

Casey
    I believe you are referring to a function that is built into the 700p under the Preference/Power screen. Go to Preference, and then Power, and you will see "On a call, dim backlight after: 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc)"
    Casey
    That's helpful, I believe the default was 2 minutes. Thanks.
    Casey, does your 700p screen get as dark as your 650 while on a call? My 700p screen dims very slightly, but not by much from when it's fully lit. That's what I'm trying to find out. Is this how all 700p screens are while on a call?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Casey, does your 700p screen get as dark as your 650 while on a call? My 700p screen dims very slightly, but not by much from when it's fully lit. That's what I'm trying to find out. Is this how all 700p screens are while on a call?

Unfortunately, I cannot compare my T650 and 700p screens side by side on a call, since my T650 is disconnected. I can only go by memory at this point.

My 700p seems sufficiently dim enough while on a call after 30 seconds. I don't remember if it's as dim as the T650, but it's probably about the same, or at least this is something that doesn't strike me as out of the ordinary or different.

I really don't remember, so I can't answer your question precisely.

Casey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast