Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    That's helpful, I believe the default was 2 minutes. Thanks.
    You're welcome!

Casey
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    When posting software solutions, could posters please include a link to the software site for those who might want to acquire the software. Although we can do searches to find the sites, it would be easier if they were posted. Thanks!!!
    Thanks Casey,
    My 700p screen hardly dims at all, so it must just be an isolated problem with mine.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Great thread -- I've tried both mLights and KB LightsOff, and both worked well.

Ulitmately decided that KB LightsOff fit my needs better, as I don't like the auto-dimming screen feature of mLights, and very much liked the auto-off KB functionality of KB LightsOff.

I'll be curious to see if this improves the 700p battery life much.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    I'll be curious to see if this improves the 700p battery life much.
    Me too! Let us know, will ya? I'm with ya on preferring the feature set of KB Lights off vs. mLights. But I just don't know if it's necessary nor if it will result in real battery savings.
    Trust me, having your keyboard light completely turned off makes a very noticeable difference! It doesn't matter whether you use mLights or KB LightsOff, just use something!

Personally, I'm never overly concerned about battery life because I keep 3 extra charged batteries with me at all times, plus an extra AC charger at work too! But I just hate to see my battery indicator go to half life in just a matter of hours because the keyboard light is constantly on.

Another issue of faster battery drain is having ChatterEmail always "ON" in checking for messages real time. But this is another separate issue that has been discussed throughly ad-nauseum in different threads in the past. Since ChatterEmail is already draining my battery faster than usual, I also don't need to have my keyboard light on adding to the problem!

Casey
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Trust me, having your keyboard light completely turned off makes a very noticeable difference! It doesn't matter whether you use mLights or KB LightsOff, just use something!
    I need more than that; I need numbers. You're uniquely focused on battery life (keeping 3 charged batteries with you at all times.) I'm a bit more of a casual user. I talk on the Treo, by the end of the day the battery is drained and I charge it every night. I just bought the Seidio Extended battery for a little extra juice, but that's about it. I'm just curious if having the KB light off gives you an extra hour... or is it more like... 4 and half minutes? Because if it's just a minor little gain, then I'd rather not deal with the hassle of a hack/add-on.
    I'm not the engineering type, so I won't be making "scenario vs. scenario" calculations of minutes saved, but if you were to ask me if having the keyboard lights off is helping extend the battery life of my 700p, I'd unscientifically say "yes" at this point.

Not to mention, using KB LightsOff is making me appreciate how elegant the phone actually looks when the keyboard isn't lit up like a Christmas tree. My eyes are no longer distracted from the screen.

No wonder so many folks screamed at Palm to have this functionality built-in on the 600/650.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Gotcha, that's good enough for me then, headcase. I downloaded the demo of KB LightsOff and I'll check it out.
    I don't use this type of hack, but I may look into it. I'm not a fan of the "Xmas lights" look. I was kinda hoping that they would have switched back to the Treo 600 keypad colorscheme (all black).

To address the question posed by the OP: The Treocentral review was wrong (the keypad *does* dim as you increase screen brightness), but I believe they've since corrected it after receiving feedback from several people.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    you guys need a program called treo guard which turn off the screen and keyboard off during a call. Its the best app out there and it works with the 700p!!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    you guys need a program called treo guard which turn off the screen and keyboard off during a call. Its the best app out there and it works with the 700p!!
    Thanks for the recommendation, but that seems to address a different concern from the bulk of this thread.

And "the best app out there?" I'm sure it's good and all, but come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    I believe you are referring to a function that is built into the 700p under the Preference/Power screen. Go to Preference, and then Power, and you will see "On a call, dim backlight after: 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc)"

I have mine set to 30 seconds, and when on a phone call, my screen will dim (reduce light intensity--not turn off) after 30 seconds, and the keyboard also lights up very dimly (from being off to dimly lit). If I tap on a button within the phone screen while on a call, the screen will then light up brightly again, and the keyboard will then go back to dark (no light at all--zero light).

I don't think mLights has the function of turning off the screen light while on a call. mLights is designed for turning off the keyboard, not the screen, as far as I know. I don't know if it's possible turning off the screen light completely while on a call...mine doesn't do this.

Casey
    \

under the Preference/Power screen

reading tips

it says if u press the option key along wiht the menu key u can decrease the brightness by 50% at any time

dumb ? which key is the menu key
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany

where do u get this prgram, if u are going to get software to dim or shut off lights, u need one that shuts off both the screen and keyboard lights, talking on the phone, especially in dark areas is anoying when u have this bright beam going in your eyes
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot
    where do u get this prgram
    go to google.com and type "treoguard"

Every link that shows up as a result of this search will lead you to the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot
    \

under the Preference/Power screen

reading tips

it says if u press the option key along wiht the menu key u can decrease the brightness by 50% at any time

dumb ? which key is the menu key
    The menu key is the one at the lower right. Option is the black key near the lower left. I tried this, and it does toggle between bright and dim.
    i like them off, it saves battery, i use kblightsoff to toggle them on whe i need to
    Treoing & Loving it
    I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing a problem with KB LightsOff. Specifically, Auto Mode seems to cause a reset every 24 hours for me, when it tries to automatically turn off my keyboard after a period of inactivity.

And given that when I set that inactivity timer to 8 seconds, yet it turns off the keyboard in about 2 seconds on my 700p, I'm suspecting the bug is in the implementation of the auto timer.

If I don't have Auto Mode on, the phone works fine with no resets.

Can anyone else validate this bug on their 700p? I'm using a Sprint version.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    I'm not the engineering type, so I won't be making "scenario vs. scenario" calculations of minutes saved, but if you were to ask me if having the keyboard lights off is helping extend the battery life of my 700p, I'd unscientifically say "yes" at this point.

Not to mention, using KB LightsOff is making me appreciate how elegant the phone actually looks when the keyboard isn't lit up like a Christmas tree. My eyes are no longer distracted from the screen.
    Been playing with it, and I agree with your review. I feel much more in control and less distracted, by being able to independently (and manually) turn off the KB backlight.
    ON the same subject, the 650 and 600 reo had a "shortcut" to dim the keyboard and backlight... I forgot what it was on the 600... on the 650 it was SHIFT and ALT I believe

I do not see this shortcut at all on the 700p... is it there anywhere hidden and if so where???

This was useful in dark places when you wanted to quickly dim without going through the overall brightness setting....

Anyone know is there is a trick to this or a way to do it with the 700P?

Mike
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast