1.    #1  
    Thought I'd take a moment and share with all of the VZW 700p users what I've managed to find out so far about tethering the 700p (without using PDANet or the tethering hack) and using it as a modem in a "legal" manner as defined by VZW.

First, you'll need to add the "BroadbandAccess Connect Unlimited" (BCU) option to any voice/data plan for a PDA costing $79.99/mo. or greater. Note: if you're going to add this option to your billing plan, make sure you ask the VZW CSR to search for it using the exact wording. The BCU option will cost you an additional $15/mo. to be able to use the 700p as a tethered unit with unlimited data.

Second, on the Palm Software Installation CD that came with the phone, you need to first install Palm Desktop and then install the VZAccess Manager software. As you go through the set-up for VZAccess Manager, you will be asked whether you desire to establish a USB or Bluetooth connection for tethering. If you choose USB, the software will install the appropriate Palm modem driver on your PC and will then detect the 700p. During installation of the software, it will prompt you for the 700p phone number. It is the phone number coupled with the "switch" being set on your account for BCU that allows the connection to be made and the phone to be used as a modem. Without you signing up for BCU and that "switch" being set in VZW's billing system, you will be unable to make a connection using the 700p.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    thank you for this post. I was led to believe that buying the 25 dollar power vision package would allow me to use my phone as a thethered modem or with bluetooth. I have been unable to do this even with the software supplied through support. The main reason for my failure as I see it is it won't dial my units number the probram defaults to a code. I am going to call on Monday to get clarity on the situation.

Software Downloads

Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem/USB Cables
    File
    Actually you don't need to install the Verizon Access Manager (depending on platform). It works fine for bluetooth tethering with Mac OS X with no additional software installed.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev
    thank you for this post. I was led to believe that buying the 25 dollar power vision package would allow me to use my phone as a thethered modem or with bluetooth. I have been unable to do this even with the software supplied through support. The main reason for my failure as I see it is it won't dial my units number the probram defaults to a code. I am going to call on Monday to get clarity on the situation.

Software Downloads

Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem/USB Cables
    File
    Just a tip: VZW stands for Verizon Wireless.....you have Sprint. This thread does not apply to you....
    I had an interesting experience this weekend trying to get the "legal" tethering option added to my account.

The first VZW CSR that I spoke to had never heard of this and neither did her supervisor and they both thought that the feature was part of the regular $45 unlimited Broadband option.

The second CSR told me that what I wanted to do (tether to laptop) would be a violation of my service agreement! I explained to her that that was exactly the reason I was calling and pointed her to the Verizon 700p announcement press release that specifically mentions this capability.

BTW, in both cases, I was using the terminology as mentioned in the first posting in this thread to describe what I wanted to do.

I finally spoke to tech support (rather than customer service), and the support rep knew exactly what I was talking about ("Oh, you want the tethering option!") and he added the feature in less than 5 min.

Boy, all I can say is that VZW certainly doesn't make it easy to "do the right thing"!!!
    Last edited by jdmass; 07/17/2006 at 07:55 PM.
    I agree, it took me several tries also to get the option (BroadBandAccess Connect seems to be the actual name) added. Once I found someone who understood what to do, it was added in a couple of minutes, but finding that person took some time.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    What I find interesting is that I do not have a data plan at $75.99 or greater as stated in the original post. I have the standard $45.99 (or around there) data plan with the extra $15 per month added to allow for legal tethering. When I added the Broadband Access Connect to my account (about six months ago) it was added free (I was in Blackberry land then).
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Actually you don't need to install the Verizon Access Manager (depending on platform). It works fine for bluetooth tethering with Mac OS X with no additional software installed.
    Can you describe in detail the steps necessary to tether a Mac OS X PowerBook via USB? Or point me to a FAQ.

I tried a USB Modem demo, and it worked, but I wasn't able to get very good speeds, even though the green EV light indicates the presence of the EVDO network. I'm wondering if I need USB Modem. Access Manager is still unavailable for Mac.

Treo USB Modem