1.    #1  
    anyone else have the problem of the keyboard light flickering when the light dims on a phone call or when done manually?
    well how pronounced is the flicker, i ask because i think i know what your talking about. It happens when the light isnt turned all the way up, i think its just a side effect of underpowering the light behind the keyboard.
  3.    #3  
    its inconsistant at the same brightness. it does so much that I notice it while talking on the phone. I catch it out of the corner of my eye
    I've seen this too. No idea why this happens, or what triggers it.
    and here i thought i was seeing things. It reminds me of old CRT refresh rates. You dont see it when looking directly at it, but you catch it out of the corner of your eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    and here i thought i was seeing things. It reminds me of old CRT refresh rates. You dont see it when looking directly at it, but you catch it out of the corner of your eye.
    thats what i was talking about, i think that has to do with pumping less power into the keyboard back light then it requires (pretty sure this is the method the treo uses to dim the light on the keys).
    my buddy's 700p has some serious flicker problems (he'll probably return it). sounds like he's not alone...just has it worse than others.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    it's a hardware software bug in the 700p.

At low brightness, it tends to flicker a lot more. Since the dimming is controlled by rapidly turning the light on and off (faster than eye can normally perceive), it looks like a CPU constraints issue...something it amiss in the OS.

Try dimming the keyboard, running Bejeweled 2 (a "heavy load" app), and you will see this issue. I've tried it on a couple 700P's with similar results.
    The brightness of the keyboard is controlled by the "rapidly turning the light on and off" process. The technical name for this process is called "Pulse Width Modulation". The brightness is controlled by the ratio of "on time" versus "off time". Brighter = more on time, less off time. Dimmer = less on time, more off time. It's controlled by the CPU, and when the CPU get busy there's not enough processing bandwidth left to run the pulse width modulation. Hence, you get flickering, and there's nothing physically wrong with the hardware.