1.    #1  
    A Sprint rep today told me that Power Vision was faster than Vision. Is this true?

As it turned out, my account wasn't upgraded to Power Vision as it should've been; when i called, I was told that I didn't have Power Vision, and I had to haggle with the rep to get it turned on. However, I could swear that the online speed with this 700p was really good...

So is there really a speed difference between Vision & Power Vision?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    If you have a power vision phone you will use the power vision network when its available.

Some people are finding that they can do simple ESN swap and keep their grandfathered vision plans and still access the power vision network. However, no one is sure yet how long sprint will allow this, or if they will start to add some sort of additional charge.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Well, it all comes down to how Sprint names the data service and what speed the device actually connects at.

Vision was introduced when 1xRTT data network was introduced, which provides speeds similar to dialup. To Sprint, Vision is more a label they have given the data feature.

Power Vision was introduced when EVDO data network was introduced, which provides speeds closer to DSL speeds (but not quite).

The twist comes from what the device is actually setup to connect to, which is EVDO in the case of the 700p. So, in your case you have the Vision data plan, but the 700p still connects to EVDO. It doesn't seem that Sprint strictly enforces the data plan type to the speed that the device is allowed to connect at (yet). There are a bunch of people reporting that they haven't switched to Power Vision, but their 700p connects at the faster speeds. So, you are connecting to the faster network, and that's because the data plan you have doesn't strictly force you to the slower data network.

Some people are of the opinion that Sprint will eventually be a pain in your side if you don't have Power Vision for a Power Vision phone. I personally went through retention to get my 700p, so I was able to negotiate for a cheaper price for Power Vision because I used to have Unlimited Vision for free.
    how do you know if sprint has you on vision or power vision. when I did the esn swap they made no mention of powervision. Of course my 700p connects at evdo speeds but online and when I check my plan description it does not say powervision (would it if I did have powervision). I have the sero plan so it is free either way but just wondering if I am missing out on anything if I dont have powervision.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstorm92
    how do you know if sprint has you on vision or power vision. when I did the esn swap they made no mention of powervision.
    When I did my swap, it wasn't mentioned either but the 1st time I tried to access the web, it configured for Power Vision. That's what it says every time it connects now, though my plan hasn't changed either. Could be semantics, like Alex said.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Given what I've said, there might be things you can't add without Power Vision, such as PAM (phone as modem), extra SprintTV channels and On Demand content included in the higher priced Power Vision plans. If all you need is an internet connection, then you're probably fine without switching to Power Vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdallen
    When I did my swap, it wasn't mentioned either but the 1st time I tried to access the web, it configured for Power Vision. That's what it says every time it connects now, though my plan hasn't changed either. Could be semantics, like Alex said.
    My situation is the same. I did notice that SprintTV does not work since I kept my old Vision plan. I called and talked to the retention department hoping to get Power Vision and some consideration for text messaging which I do with the non-Treo Sprint phone my wife has.

I got someone that was going to be very helpful until he noticed that I get a business discount although I have a personal account. He said the system wouldn't allow him to make the change and he'd have to send me to the business department which gave me no love. I told her (business woman) that the phone works fine with the exception of SprintTV but I don't know how much I'll use it and I don't want to have to pay an addtional $5/month for Power Vision and lose the text messaging which I do use and now get for free. All she could tell me was "sorry" so I left the plan as is.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. I hope the business section has the same flexibility as retentions and maybe I just got unlucky with the rep tonight.

None of the three people I spoke with tonight said I would be charged additional for data usage if I stayed on the Vision I have now. I clearly told each of them that I am getting EVDO speeds and with the excetion of the TV-thing, the phone works fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    Given what I've said, there might be things you can't add without Power Vision, such as PAM (phone as modem), extra SprintTV channels and On Demand content included in the higher priced Power Vision plans. If all you need is an internet connection, then you're probably fine without switching to Power Vision.
    I've been able to get PAM working with my old Vision plan. Only SprintTV doesn't work.
    I just got grandfathered over after complaining a bit. With six lines and close to a grand a month, I said that it was unacceptable. Five minutes on hold, the guy said they could do it. We have two 700p's now on the account.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  10.    #10  
    That explains it; I was certain that I was connecting at EVDO speed, even though the rep said that I was still on the Vision plan. In my dubious wisdom, I insisted on being moved to the Power Vision plan because the Retentions rep had promised me a cheaper price on Power Vision for the first 2 years (by giving me a monthly kickback of a few dollars).

The rep also told me that I would *never* get phone-as-modem to work without a Power Vision account. I'm now trying again to see if I can get it to work. This time I strictly followed the instructions; I changed my account password, and now I'm about to give it yet another try...