Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok, i'm a newbie to the treo ...what's the difference between these two email programs?
    Get set for the Holy War...

I prefer Chatter because of Push email.

Doesn't wake up every morning to archive.

Great support.

If you use POP servers, it's probably a wash. If you have IMAP. Chatter would be better.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Get set for the Holy War...

I prefer Chatter because of Push email.

Doesn't wake up every morning to archive.

Great support.

If you use POP servers, it's probably a wash. If you have IMAP. Chatter would be better.
    eek...make love not war. espec. email war! i get my mail off aol and want it the easiest way possible. i could use goodlink to get my work email but then i still need another program to get my reg. personal email off aol. i have versamail on my old tx and i HATED HATED HATED it. (oops...disliked it intensely.)
    I am a rrgistered user of both Chatter and Snapper. I purchased Snapper long ago and was very happy with it using POP3 mail..

About a year ago, I signed up for a free IMAP acount with Fastmail and gave Chatter a try. I learned to like it so much that I deleted Snappermail and have used Chatter ever since.

Three days ago, I was bored so I gave Snapper another try in order to remember what I liked about it so much before Chatter. I deleted Snappermail once again after 15 minutes. My reasons for deleting Snapper:

1. Snapper saves the mail into RAM for nightly removal to the SD card. I don't want to worry about my RAM runing low or receiving large attachments. Strike 1. Chatter saves directly to the card.

2. My version of of Snapper doesn't support IMAP. (I could pay more to get it.) No version of Snapper supports push email. Strike 2. Chatter has both.

3. Snapper turns the screen on and takes over the Treo while it is active. Strike 3. Chatter works in the background.

Snapper used to be the best. Now chatter reigns supreme.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I tried FastMail today and didn't like it very much. The free version of FastMail gives you a measly amount of storage space and bandwith. So I signed up for a free email account at AIM.com. They give you 2GB of storage space and it works very well with Chatter.
    The biggest benefit to Chatter is that it runs seamlessly (and in a stable fashion) in the background. You won't have Chatter butting in on what you're doing to execute a timed mail check like Snappermail does...very irritating. Plus, if you get an alert for an incoming message, you can read and reply without having to exit your current application. This is a big deal on a non-multitasking OS like Palm.
    heberman, on the Premium and Enterprise versions of Snappermail, you can have it save new e-mails directly to the card rather than scheduling a backup. (You can also schedule a backup of the whole mail database to the card if you want.)

(I use POP on a Tapwave Zodiac BTing to a cellphone, so my main reason for getting away from VersaMail is better attachment handling.)
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Chatter is by far the best solution for AOL. With push, it is instantaneous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaPrise
    heberman, on the Premium and Enterprise versions of Snappermail, you can have it save new e-mails directly to the card rather than scheduling a backup. (You can also schedule a backup of the whole mail database to the card if you want.)
    That's interesting. I have the Premium version and didn't notice that option. I just saw the options for moving the emails to the card on a regular basis.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Yeah, I thought Snapper could sync and move the emails to SD card realtime, but it doesn't. Only Chatter does that I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Yeah, I thought Snapper could sync and move the emails to SD card realtime, but it doesn't. Only Chatter does that I think.
    True ONLY Chatter
    Quote Originally Posted by srlondon
    The biggest benefit to Chatter is that it runs seamlessly (and in a stable fashion) in the background. You won't have Chatter butting in on what you're doing to execute a timed mail check like Snappermail does...very irritating. Plus, if you get an alert for an incoming message, you can read and reply without having to exit your current application. This is a big deal on a non-multitasking OS like Palm.
    Yet another reason to go with Chatter (I also own a Snapper enterprise license.)
  13.    #13  
    ok, everyone has given me great info. so here's part II: i will get my work email with goodlink. can i run goodlink and chatter on the same device? can two push systems work??? i know i can run snappermail and goodlink together.
    Everyone (rightly so) espouses upon the merits of push email on chatter. I just wanted to point out that I used timed pulls (like snapper) and I still greatly prefer chatteremail. I really don't like how snapper takes over your device and you're forced to sit watching your screen.

Stability-wise, I haven't snapper to be all that stable. With chatter, I find a version that i like and find stable and stick with it until there's a bug or feature I need. The stable builds have been pretty solid for the past 6 months or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus
    The stable builds have been pretty solid for the past 6 months or so.
    That is another check mark for Chatter. You can revert back and forth from stable release to beta release at any time right OTA! Awesome
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Count me in for chatter as well. I am a new bb convert, and the push works just as well as I was accustomed to. One question for chatter users. Is there anyway to set filters to discriminate from certain emails being "pushed" to the handheld. I get a lot of autogenerated emails at work that I need to receive on the desktop, but do not need on the handheld.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    That's interesting. I have the Premium version and didn't notice that option. I just saw the options for moving the emails to the card on a regular basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    In SnapperMail, go to Preferences, then tap the Storage "box" at the top of the screen. Under Default Mail Storage Rules, there are two picklists; the second one has the option "Save new mail on card." As far as I can tell, it saves the new mail as it arrives-- my amount of free RAM doesn't change after a fresh retrieval.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Quote Originally Posted by srlondon
    You won't have Chatter butting in on what you're doing to execute a timed mail check like Snappermail does...very irritating.
    Never noticed that with Snapper. It can't get mail in the background -- true, but it never interferes in what you're doing, it waits until the device is off (i.e. stand-by), and only then does what it has to do.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    srlondon -

Are you talking about ChatterEmail? It NEVER butts in on what you're doing - that's the whole idea; I think you'd have to explain what you're referring to.

IMO, the biggest advantage of ChatterEmail is that it gets mail ALL the time, regardless of whether the Treo is awake or asleep, in Chatter or another application, and it does it INVISIBLY. If you're busy with Snapper, however, you just don't get your mail in a timely way.

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 06/12/2006 at 04:55 PM.
    all together now...

CHATTER RULES!!!!!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast