Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    fkjr2 - That's not typical, but I agree that the 700p is much slower performing database operations. What does that have to do with stability, though?

Marc
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I have been a Snapper user for a few years, but when I got a Treo 700P I decided I would give Chatteremail a shot. I absolutely LOVED the interface on Chatter as opposed to the archaic and ugly Snapper. Chatter also does a better job with HTML email.

Unfortunately, the battery drain issue is just too big a deal for me. (Yes, I tried setting 'Slower Sync'.) With Chatter, I felt like I could watch the battery icon drain down to nothing. When it comes to push IMAP and pretty interface vs. battery life, battery life wins.

I also experienced some freezeups and restarts that only occured when the Chatter folders were online.

After a 2 week trial I have uninstalled Chatter and am back to using Snapper. Hopefully Snapper will upgrade it's interface and HTML rendering of email.
    Palm IIIx -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Verizon Treo 700P -> Verizon Motorola Moto Q 9m
    Jabra JX10 -> Motorola HS-850 -> Aliph Jawbone

Arizona Criminal Attorney |
    Arizona DUI Attorney
    russelb -

Something's not right!

1) You don't have to use "push"; you can use a schedule like Snapper (but with true background operation). Battery use is no different than any other app.

2) If your battery life is TERRIBLE, there may be a configuration error. You should contact me at support@chatteremail and we can do a test.

Finally, I'm not aware of reset issues in recent versions (though, of course, everyone's Treo is different). Make sure you have the most recent.

Marc
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Marc,
    If you can tell me how to reconfigure Chatter so it does not kill my battery, I would happily reinstall it. I don't care so much about push email. I would be perfectly happy with a manual sync. I will email you.
    Russ
    Palm IIIx -> Sprint Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 600 -> Verizon Treo 700P -> Verizon Motorola Moto Q 9m
    Jabra JX10 -> Motorola HS-850 -> Aliph Jawbone

Arizona Criminal Attorney |
    Arizona DUI Attorney
    Global Posts
    761 Global Posts
    i am leaning towards Snappermail but have a few Q's for you guys.

i just got my sprint 700p, i have a gmail account, and dont realy plan on hardcore using email on my treo. just every now and then sending pictures/e-mail.

i dont have evdo, just regular vision so network speed might matter also.

should i go with snappermail, or just stick with versa mail? i have looked and searched but just need some sort of direction. thanks
    blake!

Sprint Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by wbkm85
    i am leaning towards Snappermail but have a few Q's for you guys.

i just got my sprint 700p, i have a gmail account, and dont realy plan on hardcore using email on my treo. just every now and then sending pictures/e-mail.

i dont have evdo, just regular vision so network speed might matter also.

should i go with snappermail, or just stick with versa mail? i have looked and searched but just need some sort of direction. thanks

Based on the description of your usage and needs, I would say to simply stick with the free VersaCrap/Mail program since you are not a power user. However, over time, your needs may change to something more. If so, you will probably want something better than VersaMail. For myself, I use all the following email apps in order of importance: ChatterEmail, SnapperMail, VersaMail, AOL 3.3. Each has its pros/cons. The main reason I like ChatterEmail the best is for its instant/push email capability, plus the fact it works in the background without interferring with my other apps. I find ChatterEmail to be highly stable on my 700p. As for battery life, yes it's true Chatter will drain the battery faster, but even so, I usually get a full 8+ hours worth of battery life on a single charge. I always keep extra charged batteries with me everywhere (at home, work, car, my jacket pocket). I also recently ordered the Seido extended life battery, so this should also make the battery issue less important to me. It sounds sick to say I have 6 or 7 Treo batteries plus various chargers, but this is because I have a total of 3 Treos (1 700p, and 2 650s).
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    761 Global Posts
    what edition/version are you guys using for gmail and snappermail? i got a few versions of it, and cant get it to even 'get' my mail

starting to get mad....i have tried various settings, and have searched for hours trying different things.
    blake!

Sprint Centro
    Look an the Snappermail site gor the gmail config settings. Then don't forget to go to gmail on your desktop to enable the POP access on your account there.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Oh, I almost forgot, you need an upgraded version of Snapper for gmail (Premier version?). The basic version won't get it.

Chatter works fine with gmail, and comes preconfigured with the gmail settings. You just need to input your name and password.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Don't forget to put in the right SSL settings.
    Hello,

Been trying Chatter Mail for about 2 weeks. So far fairly happy with it but was a bit happier with Snapper.
    Snapper does not support push email yet - but will in the near future

With Chatter is there a way to use filters for messages? Or will Chatter support this in the future?

I need instant or as close to instant messages as I can since they are time sensitive. SMS does not work since there is a 160 character limit. My time sensitive emails use certain headers & the non time sensitive emails use other heads & want the non time sensitive emails into another folder automaticly.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Arizona Treo; 08/07/2006 at 04:06 PM.
    Snapper will NEVER support background operation on the Palm OS, no less push mail; I'd be willing to bet a large sum on this. Indeed, there's no reason to believe that ANY development work is being done on Snapper for PalmOS (except, maybe for the database issues that have been reported, although it's been 4+ months since that was supposedly being worked on). Hints to the contrary are simply not credible.

Filters are a great server-side option, and all good IMAP providers support it.

Marc
    I've been looking for a long time for a good treo email client.... my requirements were:
    1. doesn't crash
    2. has small enough font
    3. works with imap and ssl

versamail doesn't have 1 or 2. snapper doesn't have 2 (and although it has crashed, doesn't as much as versamail)...... chatter has all 3. how they do that background voodoo without making the thing crash is beyond me. its truely some magic ****.
    The info about Snapper working on an update to support push email came directly from Snapper coustomer support. Jennifer or someone with J relplied to my email.

Does Chatter support filtering of messages?
    Arizona Treo -

Yes, I know where it comes from; they have been working on background processing for 3+ years (go check their forum), they have been working on push for about 3 years, they have been working on a fix for SD failures for 6+ months, and I can't remember the last user-requested feature that was added. They (the powers that be, not the customer service folks, who I have a lot of respect for) have treated their customers with contempt, in my opinion, by not being honest about their plans. So people are continually strung along until they get fed up - I know of hundreds of cases in which this has happened.

In my working life, I've always tried to over-communicate to keep my customers "in the loop" (so that they know what to expect and so that I can learn from their experiences), and then over-deliver in terms of product and support. Keeping your best customers guessing is the worst possible approach that a business can take, but it appears to be the Snapper way, at least these past few years.

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 08/08/2006 at 12:55 PM.
    Frustrated with Verizon Wireless Sync today, and trying to research alternatives:

Does Chatter allow me to:
    Push POP3 accounts (i.e. don't have to check on a set schedule)
    Filter before pushing (i.e. filter out the spam that is not removed at the server level or filter out listserv emails)
    Reply to emails through the account they arrive on
    Apply a rule to CC myself on each sent email so I have a record of my sent messages on Outlook

My email accounts consist mostly of POP3 accounts (too many email address!), only a few of the POPs have IMAP modes, gmail.

(Trying to avoid an ugly work around with VWS that would involve yet another email account and more email forwarding hell).
    Quote Originally Posted by mer
    Does Chatter allow me to:
    Push POP3 accounts (i.e. don't have to check on a set schedule)
    No, no POP3 account does this. As you know, you need to automatically forward a copy of your POP3 mail to a free IMAP provider (such as fastmail.fm) and then get push mail on your pop accounts, or set up a checking schedule. Chatter does this in the background, so it doesn't interrupt what you are doing.

Filter before pushing (i.e. filter out the spam that is not removed at the server level or filter out listserv emails)
    No. No Treo app filters spam. That is done at the server side. Filters specific emails: I think Chatter does this.

Reply to emails through the account they arrive on
    Yep. Works great.

Apply a rule to CC myself on each sent email so I have a record of my sent messages on Outlook
    Yep. Works great.
    Marc,

Thanks for the reply!
  19. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Treo
    Hello,

Been trying Chatter Mail for about 2 weeks. So far fairly happy with it but was a bit happier with Snapper.
    Snapper does not support push email yet - but will in the near future

With Chatter is there a way to use filters for messages? Or will Chatter support this in the future?

I need instant or as close to instant messages as I can since they are time sensitive. SMS does not work since there is a 160 character limit. My time sensitive emails use certain headers & the non time sensitive emails use other heads & want the non time sensitive emails into another folder automaticly.

Anyone have any ideas?
    If your own email server doesn't have the option to forward only messages that contain a certain text in the header (I think that's what you're referring to as time-sensitive?) you can get an account at a free server that does (like fastmail.fm) and forward the time-sensitive messages to another account. Set up Chatter so only that account is pushed and the others are just checked on on a timed sync (which uses less battery). You'll need 2 email accounts to do this.
    Hey chatter,
    Do you have anything nice to say about your competitors? I've gotta be honest, I've tried your program it's o.k. but here's the deal: 1. Your best asset, viz. push email, involves forwarding email to an imap account, if you don't have one already, and it sucks down your battery life like a cheap *****.
    2. You can't reply to your email using the account that you were emailed to.
    3. The preferences seem too counter-intuitive. Keep it simple stupid. You don't have to try to implement every f'n suggestion.

Let me give you an advice: Don't look so damn desperate, with your snapper-user-conversion-program and ****. Let your little program sell itself.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast