My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino
    I'm with Dutch, Chatter Rules!
    SOMEONE'S WITH ME!!!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I'm a Chatter convert, as well. I used Snapper for 2 years and just made the switch. In the last 6 months Snapper routinely corrupted my entire set of email folders, to the point where I had to manually backup the mail storage after every important email. It would attempt to make a connection in the middle of listening to Audible sometimes, causing annoying interruptions. And Chatter's ability to work in the background and its interaction with IMAP accounts is great...

Another vote for Chatter

Matt
    I have been a Chatter for three phones now. Unmatched and the customer service just fantastic. I use IMAP push.
    For my purposes, Versamail is fine but I am posting because this thread is getting old. Everybody seems to be in agreement that Chatter is the way to go. Debate over.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    For my purposes, Versamail is fine but I am posting because this thread is getting old. Everybody seems to be in agreement that Chatter is the way to go. Debate over.
    ok, but i still need partII of my ? answered: can chatter and goodlink both function on the same treo? goodlink for my work email and chatter for my personal (aol) email.??
    Quote Originally Posted by bean
    ok, but i still need partII of my ? answered: can chatter and goodlink both function on the same treo? goodlink for my work email and chatter for my personal (aol) email.??
    Sorry, I guess I missed that part with everybody just choosing sides.
    Yes, probably. GoodLink uses a LOT of resources, though, so, depending on what else is on your phone, there could be problems. I'd recommend Chatter's beta for use with GoodLink.

Marc
    Does Chatter have a two-line list view yet? The last time I looked it didn't. That was a deal-killer for me.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    what exactly do you mean by two line list view? It has a 'normal' and a 'condensed' list view of message titles/senders/times/etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Get set for the Holy War...

I prefer Chatter because of Push email.

Doesn't wake up every morning to archive.

Great support.

If you use POP servers, it's probably a wash. If you have IMAP. Chatter would be better.
    I'm a loyal Snapper customer, but I agree with this. I use POP only, so have never seen the benefit of Chatter. But anybody who asks me and has an IMAP account, there's no question, I recommend Chatter.

For POP, it just depends on what you are used to...I'm already used to Snapper's little usability features, so Chatter was a bit foreign to me and provided no real benefit for POP. It's probably a wash if you are coming in fresh.

DougKoz
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    what exactly do you mean by two line list view? It has a 'normal' and a 'condensed' list view of message titles/senders/times/etc.
    I'm talking about the list view of all your emails which has each email displayed on two lines (e.g., name and date on the 1st line, title on the 2nd line).
    DougKoz -

The idea that ChatterEmail is mainly advantagous for IMAP mail was relevant a year ago, perhaps, but it's pretty erroneous now.

Here are some advantages for POP3 users:

1) Asynchronous operation
    2) True background operation
    3) True push possible with POP3 mail forwarded (I have thousands of customers who do this)
    4) Summary view
    5) Multiple sending profiles, including "Smart" reply selection
    6) Direct save of attachments to SD card
    7) Far less RAM use with SD card messages (32 bytes vs 500-1000+ per message)
    8) Faster sync'ing of POP3
    9) Full HTML rendering
    10) Background SSL (e.g. Gmail can sync in the background)
    11) FAR more notification options (LED, customized tone, vibrate, attention manager)
    12) Built-in SMS triggers
    13) Free upgrades
    14) Active development
    15) Active in Palm community (forums such as this)

To mention a few...

Marc
    Just the total background operation itself is a huge thing. I have only been using Chatter for a few months (IMAP push), and opened up Snapper the other day, and it automatically starting trying to connect, so I sat there and watched it "take over" my treo as it did so, with the screen frozen on the connection screen, then on the download screen,....and that was all I could do was watch! The background operation is awesome. Keeping everything on the SD card and saving precious ram is awesome as well.

Anyway, I agree with Marc that Chatter has huge advantages over Snapper even if you use only POP3. I acutally used it with my POP3 account for the duration of the trial and decided to buy it on that basis alone, bought the software, then tried out IMAP thereafter. And once you try "instant" push IMAP email and the synchronized mailboxes, you can never go back to POP3!!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    For me it is POP for for the family and friends and IMAP for work. I spend about 30 minutes or so at the end of the day sorting work email from the inbox to the appropriate folder, looking at the mail deleted via the Treo before finally deleting or moving it. Important mail I must followup with is placed in a special folder, et cetera. All of this done with one mailbox that is always sync'd (inbox) and bunches of others that are off line and sync'd when needed.

It is rare that I use Chatter's POP3 functionality during the day, but on those occasions when the need is there, it is as easy to use as the desktop program I use, Seamonkey.

Chatter is it. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I'm talking about the list view of all your emails which has each email displayed on two lines (e.g., name and date on the 1st line, title on the 2nd line).
    If I understand you correctly, this is something that Chatter has had for quite some time now.

This link has a snapshot of what you might see on your inbox screen (much of this is configurable).

http://tinyurl.com/qgytp
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Same here...Versamail does me fine for now. I try like hell to utilize my current applications before I find myself exhausted into an alternative application. I just try not to load too many apps on my device in fear of incompatable problems. I have only used four third party apps on my device from my 600 to my 700 which suits me fine for my solutions at work and personal, and I have had no device issues as long as I have used a treo.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    If I understand you correctly, this is something that Chatter has had for quite some time now.

This link has a snapshot of what you might see on your inbox screen (much of this is configurable).

http://tinyurl.com/qgytp
    yup.. that's what I was telling him. They are 'normal' (2 line) and 'condensed' (1 line) views.
    Thanks guys. I wonder how long ago he added that in. I think I tried it about six months ago and couldn't find any way to do it.

So now I have to decide if I just want to reinstall Snappermail again (which I already have a license to) or give Chatter another try. I don't have any included SMS on my plan and don't feel like I really need push email, so I'm not sure if it would be worth paying for another license for whatever other feature differences there may be.
    yes but for the 700p - Snapper is way more stable. Chatter boggs down the device - switching from the Mail hard button to any other button takes a full 4-5 secs - with Snapper, it is always instant.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast